Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    I don't think they need to change anything. They have good programs, they are not consistent with their skating, period. I loved the music they used for the FD, but I'm a fan of the singer, Melanie Gardot. The music sets them apart from the other "safe" and "classic" approaches from the other teams. The FD is intense.

And the rotational lift is a pretty lift to me. Anna's toe point is great. The lift is similar to Dubreil/Lauzon's rotational lift.

I don't see an issue with their coaches. Anna needs to work on her technique and skating. Its obvious Luca is stronger skater. And a new coach is not necessarily the answer. Doesn't seem to be answer for Mao Asada.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    Doesn't seem to be answer for Mao Asada.
    Mao had no real coach until just before the season started. She was going to different people for help with different things - spins, steps, jumps etc - with no one in overall control. We can all see how that worked out.

Having the right coach is essential.

vCash
    I agree with the others. They need to improve their technical skating, especialy her, if they are going to continue. Their programs are ok and mostly entertaining, but they are technically being surpassed by all the younger teams.

vCash
    Their SD is awful?

It's got a ballroom feel, they remain in closed holds most of the time, it is light and brings back a memory of a bygone era - in a good way. It almost made me forget how CoP has ruined ice dance.

As for the FD, however...

Last season, their FD was empty but looked sophisticated and mature and was probably their first FD not to look "juniorish."

This season, their FD is just empty and that's it. And the elevator music makes it even worse.

What were their coaches thinking?

As for the coach change, I am not sure how much of a problem the coaching team is and how much of a problem is them reaching their capabilities...

I'd give them one more season.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Their SD is awful?

It's got a ballroom feel, they remain in closed holds most of the time, it is light and brings back a memory of a bygone era - in a good way. It almost made me forget how CoP has ruined ice dance.
    I agree completely. I find their SD absolutely charming. It's one of my favorites thus far.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I see that I´m in minority but I think their FD is great. It´s skated to beautiful music and it does look mature, not like their SD, which is OK but can end up looking cheesy by March.

The changes in choreography they made spoiled it a little though. During the transition of musics in the free dance, they had a very cute part where their contact was so much more evident than at any other part of the program. Now they took it out and substituted it for the aborted lift.
    And the final at Nebelhorn was soo sexy. Loved it! Now it´s just blah

But I have to agree with those who see psichological issues in them. That´s true. Italian skaters might be very good but definetly they are not meant to do well under pressure. Ask Carolina, Maurizio or Fede and Massi...
    So I suggest them to have a few sessions with a good psychologist in Lyon and go on. Their coaches are good. Just compare their improvement in the way they hande their edges. But honestly, footwork is still too simple. But that´s Roman´s task. I don´t know where is his head. Doesnt he see the problems these guys always have with levels in step sequences and the small bonus the get on them most of times??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

As for the coach change, I am not sure how much of a problem the coaching team is and how much of a problem is them reaching their capabilities...
    Which are limited, or at least hers are (imo). I just don't think she is that talented or has much natual athletic ability. IOW, I think she's limited technically in what she can do, and if she hasn't got it by now, she probably never will. Maybe I'll be proven wrong though, we'll see.

vCash
    The problem is also that the junior teams are very very talented. And They are not that talented. She is light and beautiful, he is strong. But something doesn't work with them, especially him. His skating is not that good, he can't express the music (except their beautiful 2007 FD). JMHO

vCash
    akkto - Yes, if they don't work with a sport psychologist yet, they definitely should.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12