vCash

Tony Danza- Teacher

In a world where every star has a reality show here's one I really like. Has anyone else been watching? http://www.aetv.com/teach-tony-danza/index.jsp

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I've been watching. I like it a lot, although the one about how stressed he was getting juggling too many activities wasn't all that great. Future episodes are supposed to focus more on the kids, which I think will be interesting. I like the kids; they're just kids. I think it will be good for people to see some real teenagers on television.

Given the built-in limitations--he has an in-class teaching coach, he teaches only one class, he got his education degree a lifetime ago and never actually did any teaching (except for the pilot, which was shot elsewhere), his degree is in history and not English--I think it's actually pretty accurate. I share some of his bad habits so it's funny to see someone else doing them. And it does give people some idea of just how hard and frustrating it is to teach. People who think they know how it should be done and could do it themselves should take note.

He seems like a nice guy and he seems sincere, if really overwrought, about what he is doing; he certainly doesn't seem to have a problem looking bad in front of the camera in any sense of the phrase. And watching him walk around is . Once a boxer, always a boxer, I guess.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPfZVSgpclw

I had such a crush on Tony Danza back when he was on Taxi.

I heard an interview with him on NPR a few weeks back. He seems like such a good and down to earth guy.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Apparently we are among the few who like it:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/10/22...za-early/69244

Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    He taught at my high school, Northeast High School in Phila., PA! I haven't seen any of the series yet. Any chances of repeats? I'm SO out of the loop!

BTW, this is the same high school that was featured in a movie documentary "High School" (finally shown on PBS a few years ago - the movie was made in the late to early 1970's).

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    He taught at my high school, Northeast High School in Phila., PA! I haven't seen any of the series yet. Any chances of repeats? I'm SO out of the loop!
    The website has full episodes; you can watch them there.

Otherwise, given the ratings, I'm guessing no.

vCash
    Shame it's being burned off, I loved the show. The last episode when he was struggling with missing his family and reaching out to Eric and his parents really had me tearing up. Oh, and the daughter showing up? Such a good show.

Bev - I heard the same interview, he really sounded determined to make a difference with the students.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Apparently we are among the few who like it:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/10/22...za-early/69244

Well, drat.

vCash
    I tape two episodes from last Friday night. Hope to watch them soon! What struck me is Tony seems really sincere in what he's trying to do. You can tell he's not there just to make a buck so to speak. paskatefan, it's a small world...that's your school?? did you know this was being filmed there?

vCash
    Aww that's too bad! I actually like this show. I'm curious if he is a good teacher or not since I can't fully tell from the show (I know it's his first time, but I'm just curious if he has potential). Anyways, more power to him for doing this and unlike certain celebs who undertake 'reality' shows for pure publicity, he seems to be doing it for a good cause.

I love Tony Danza and I respect him so much more now for taking this challenge on!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mashenka82 View Post
    Aww that's too bad! I actually like this show. I'm curious if he is a good teacher or not since I can't fully tell from the show (I know it's his first time, but I'm just curious if he has potential).
    He has potential, but right now, he's too interested in telling the kids things instead of letting them learn. New teachers do that a lot--old teachers, too

Filming stopped somewhere around Christmas, but he stayed for the rest of the year because he thought he owed it to the kids. The kids were asked to grade his teaching at the end of the year. Monty the brain gave Tony an A- and most of the kids thought he did pretty well--for a new teacher .

I do love those kids. They don't know who he is and they don't especially care. I like that they are just kids--and that the parents who show up are interested, engaged and sometimes cantankerous, but so far, just normal parents. I really like the teaching coach, Mr. Laidback, LOVE the principal and laugh every time the evil assistant principal shows up, because she is so like most assistant principals I have run into.

vCash
    I've been following the show and I like the premise but you can tell he is way out of current standards. He didn't grasp the "special ed needs" concept at all. He reminded me more of the teachers I had while in school "work harder, try harder...etc."

I do remember in one of the very first episodes that they were scheduled to do 7 episodes. But I do enjoy the character and concept!