vCash

How to wash George Foreman grill

Aunt and I had a little, erm, disagreement this morning about washing the George Foreman grill. Would you say its ok to carefully wash in the sink as long as you keep the plug out? Or must the whole thing stay totally dry?

vCash
    I've always used a dish rag and hot soapy water so that it's washed out well, but I don't put it under water. Then when you turn it on, just let it heat up good to kill off anything else.

vCash
    I unplug mine, let it cool somewhat, then put wet paper towel on the grill surface and close the lid. That loosens all the "junk", and I use the paper towel to wipe down both sides. That gets the majority of the dirt off, and then I just wipe it down with a slightly soapy cloth, and then use a clean wet paper towel to rinse off the soap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    I've always used a dish rag and hot soapy water so that it's washed out well, but I don't put it under water. Then when you turn it on, just let it heat up good to kill off anything else.
    Same here. I sometimes even use a Clorox wipe to make sure it's thoroughly cleaned. Mine's an older version, so I wonder if the newer ones have removable plates.

vCash
    I thought this was the beginning to some riddle or joke!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    Same here. I sometimes even use a Clorox wipe to make sure it's thoroughly cleaned. Mine's an older version, so I wonder if the newer ones have removable plates.
    I have a new model and it does have removable plates - about time!

My old one conked out when the top half no longer heated. That was a pain to clean as did not have removable plates. Big difference.

vCash
    As a rule, I never bring an appliance with an attached cord within accident distance of the sink. For my GF, I just wipe it down per the instruction manual. Every once in a while, I give it a deep clean with a damp scrubber that's been soaked in a bit of dish liquid.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I think a major reason why the GF stopped being so popular was because it was such a pain in the *ss to clean. I could never get the grimes off around the edges of the machine and finally just threw it out.

You'd be better off spending $$$ on a panini maker to grill your food. (1) The plates come off the machine for much easier cleaning, and (2) the grill top is hinged so that it will lay flat while grilling your food, giving it an even cook. This is something that is impossible to do with the GF grill.

vCash
    I have a GF cleaning sponge, I found mine in Bed and Bath stores. I put the grill into the sink with the cord lying outside of the sink, soaking the grill with soap and water, then scrub with the soft brush that fits the grill itself (not the entire grill, just the grill interior plates).
    Last edited by numbers123; 10-23-2010 at 08:09 PM.

vCash
    I alway heated mine then unplugged, took a paper towel to wipe off the gunk. Then I took a hot,wet soapy cloth to thoroughly wipe down the entire thing (inside and outside,) then took another hot, wet cloth to wipe down again. (rinse)

It is a pain and am glad to hear that the newer models are easier.