living every minute
    vCash

Joannie Rochette - Healing

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    I'm sorry Mevrouw, I couldn't open the link. It said Firefox didn't know how to open the address because the protocol (ttp) isn't associated with any program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
    I'm sorry Mevrouw, I couldn't open the link. It said Firefox didn't know how to open the address because the protocol (ttp) isn't associated with any program.
    You just have to add an h before the ttp. Here is the correct link.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1770132/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mevrouw View Post
    The link is missing the h in http. Try this: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1770132/

As much as I want to see her back competing, I hope she makes the decision that will make her the happiest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OlieRow View Post
    As much as I want to see her back competing, I hope she makes the decision that will make her the happiest.
    This!

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    I saw an item on TV about the Birks jewellery project for iheartmom mentioned in the article. The pendant looks lovely.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Joannie should come back! She can be world champion this year without Yuna and Mao's problems. Competitions are lacking sans Joannie, come back plis!!

vCash
    Thank you for the link- poor Joannie. What an amazing girl- her Mom would be so proud of all she's doing. I didn't know it was still so hard for her

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    Joannie should come back! She can be world champion this year without Yuna and Mao's problems. Competitions are lacking sans Joannie, come back plis!!
    I agree. I would love to see her come back for Worlds this year. She probably will have a real shot of winning if she does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tapper88 View Post
    Thank you for the link- poor Joannie. What an amazing girl- her Mom would be so proud of all she's doing. I didn't know it was still so hard for her
    Most, if not all grief therapists, will tell you that it takes two to three years to work through a serious loss . Along the road of recovery, many relapses and upheavals will occur. Grieving is very hard work. I admire that Joannie is able to do so much, but sometimes staying too busy can be counterproductive to the process. She is wise in delaying any major decisions. I wish her well as she makes this very difficult journey.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    And the next month and a bit will be doubly hard for Joannie and her Family as the first Christmas w/out Therese is coming up and fast. Can't imagine how hard it must be for her and the Family w/all of the Christmas hype starting up on TV now. I'm sure Joannie's already seen some things and thought, "Oh, Mom will *love* that when she..."

I've seen the pendant too and it is indeed very lovely.

vCash
    From personal experience I found that the first couple of months after the first Christmas were the hardest. I think it is because I just kept thinking "I have to get through this Christmas." Then after Christmas you realize you actually have to get through the rest of your life. I would love to see Joannie back, but like others have said, she needs to do whatever she think is best for her and not worry about anyone else.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    My family will be experiencing the holidays without my dad for the first time, as he passed away in March. It's definitely a rough time all around, and I wish Rochette the best. Sounds like she has her head in the right place, and that really helps.

I'm not appreciating some parts of the article though - mentioning the year-long ban on changes, and listing the boyfriend as one of the non-options? How would that make someone feel, 'oh, she may want to dump me, but this ban goes for a year, so is she still with me because of that?' crossed my mind.

Also, how crass to bring up that the mother was a smoker and 'fast food junkie' - was not necessary, IMO.

No matter what Rochette decides to do, it sounds like she's heading in the right direction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post

I'm not appreciating some parts of the article though - mentioning the year-long ban on changes, and listing the boyfriend as one of the non-options? How would that make someone feel, 'oh, she may want to dump me, but this ban goes for a year, so is she still with me because of that?' crossed my mind.

Also, how crass to bring up that the mother was a smoker and 'fast food junkie' - was not necessary, IMO.
    Well, better for her boyfriend to think that, than for him to get dumped and think "she's just taking it out on me". I don't really see why her boyfriend would even think that way, though. You can feel when someone wants to break up with you even if they don't, and "year long bans" aside, plenty of people postpone breaking up with significant others for a myriad of reasons, such as fears of not finding better/being alone. This is hardly something "new" for couples.

As for the fast food junkie/heavy smoker comment, I don't find it crass at all- it came up in a lot of articles around the time this tragedy happened. Realistically when I first read about how it all went down and no one had any idea what had happened to Joannie's mother, I was shocked...scared even, thinking of my own family "wow, anyone could just drop dead for no reason at any moment.." and yes, sure, that can always happen, and no one said she actually died from one too many burgers or cigarettes. But realistically it puts things in perspective when you learn the person in question was severely overweight, was smoking which is known to cause lung disease, and wasn't watching her food intake at all despite possible high blood pressure, and other serious, potentially life-threatening problems overweight people have. When talking about the passing of someone, bringing up the fact that they really didn't take good care of their health CAN be important, because it urges other people not to commit the same mistakes. I don't think it is disrespectful to point out that perhaps things could have been done to prevent the death, the same way that when a car accident result sin death the first question is whether the victim was drunk/wearing a seatbelt. Learning to prevent death is important.

Perhaps some mothers who are overweight and/or smoking heavily will read this and think "I don't want to leave my daughters/sons early because of something as stupid as food or tobacco" and will make changes to their lifestyles. It doesn't make the story any less tragic, but more so in my perspective.

vCash
    I wish Joannie all the best, whether she competes more or not.
    She seems to be a major star in Canada.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Here's a link to a press release and a photo of Joannie wearing the pendant which is being unveiled today by Birks:

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../25/c5493.html

The pendant & chain (in silver) apparently will be available for purchase in Birks stores and through both the Birks Canada & Birks USA websites with a portion of the sale going to the iheartmom campaign.
    Last edited by victorskid; 10-25-2010 at 05:01 PM.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Through both triumph and tragedy, Joannie has conducted herself with the utmost grace nity dignity. A rare gem among celebrities, athletic or otherwise.
    Last edited by Jot the Dot Dot; 10-26-2010 at 01:38 AM.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    ROCHETTE NOT RULING OUT 2014 WINTER OLYMPICS IN SOCHI
    http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=339015
    "The main thing is I want to keep my amateur status until the next Olympics," the Quebec figure skater said in an interview with The Canadian Press on Thursday. "So, I won't do anything that can endanger that status.

"I might wait one year, two years, three years, before making a final decision regarding my future."

Rochette's participation in the Canadian championships in January is unclear, but it doesn't appear likely.

vCash
    I just want her to do what she wants to do-- if she wants to compete, that's great, if she doesn't, that's great as well.