Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash

Russian WebTV problems

Another GP series, another set of viewing problems.

I've paid my money for Russian WebTV and have been sent a link via email, along with the pincode. But nothing happens when I click on the link. I cannot log in, nor can I download the programme. If I try to ask for technical support, I just get a message saying, "Please write your query in English."

I don't know what else to try. I'm longing to see the skating. Anyone else having similar problems or can anyone give advice about how to access it?

Thanks.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Download from here

http://38.100.138.4:10080/rutelevision/setup.exe

Once you have it, install it on your PC

there a web browser (the webtv one) will open, is a blue kind of tv screen

just on the window menu go and change the settings for english, submit your information

and go for the pincode space, write the number they sent you and there you go

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Thanks Braulio - you are wonderful!
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    There were problems with the WebTV last Saturday and therefore I read their forum a bit. It seams that they have "always" problems, when there are big events like football and lot of users. People complaining there used language that is not usually seen in writing. Probably tells more about football lovers than webtv.

Anyhow, they were discussing an alternative for webtv, "better quality and reliable". tvteka. At first sight it does not look very user friendly for someone not speaking Russian. I am going to try it and see how it works.

vCash
    Elka, have you found out how it works yet? It looks foreboding lol.

vCash
    Activated a free 3 day trial today. So far I like it. Will be watching Skate Canada today. They seem to have a big archive and you can start to watch from the beginning, when it is still on TV. So no need to wait when it is archived. 20 channels. 3 months for 30USD.

ETA: 38 channels.
    Last edited by Elka; 10-30-2010 at 06:34 PM.

vCash
    Thanks for the tvteka link Elka

I have also tried the 3 day free trial and the quality is excelent, very stable and with the instant ´on demand´ or the option of watching it live

Also it has Archive section for tons of sports (including figure skating dating back to 2009)

The only issue is that you have to know some cyrilic-russian in order to register and move around the website, otherwise you will have some problems getting it work

vCash
    Thanks for all the information about tvteka! I guess I'll go for it.
    My question is - can I pay them via PayPal?

On a good note, I have my first Russian class tomorrow (about time, it turns out - lol), which might be helpful for getting this software to work

vCash
    I think you can only pay with credit card, thus far I have not seen paypal option

vCash
    Would you guys recommend TVTeka over WebTV and RuTelevision for watching GP and Russian Nats then?

vCash
    Ziggy, yesterday I bought the tvteka service and after watching the 3 day trial and making some test I can recomend it not only because it is cheaper but because the option of not needing to wait for the archived stream or even having to look for in another section, there is a kind of ´timeline´where you can go backward on the broadcast as it is happening. Very few pauses or buffering (I only had one in like 2 hours of watching)

On a plus, TVteka has Eurosport, Webtv does not

vCash
    I would also recommend TVteka. The only negative thing I have noticed have been a delay of 30 minutes one day. I switched over to WebTV that day because did not want to watch delayed. (I have both.)

They say that it only should be from 5 sec. to 1 min. depending on the geographical location, but it was more. I liked TVteka so much I paid for it even when I had paid for webtv.
    Last edited by Elka; 11-06-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Entre el mundo del patinaje y el mundo real
    vCash
    Thanks Braulio and Elka for all the information for us viewers outside the US

Would you help me navigate the TVteka page? Im completely clueless about russian and some of the tecnical aspects... What is the recommended internet speed to view the channels?

Thanks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Citlali View Post
    Thanks Braulio and Elka for all the information for us viewers outside the US

Would you help me navigate the TVteka page? Im completely clueless about russian and some of the tecnical aspects... What is the recommended internet speed to view the channels?

Thanks
    I would suggest that you use google translate to translate the page. That should solve half your problems. Like all the other sites, you need to register by giving your email etc, to register to TvTeka. You will have to confirm the message from Tvteka that is send to your email, this will be again in russian, so use google translator.

After registering you will only have access to Russia 24 channel only (one channel of no importance. ), if you click of other channel, you will be taken to a page with three options. Copy the material again to google translator and see what it says. If my memory serves me right, first option says that you only have access to Russia 24 channel with free account, second one is trial period one for 3 days, remember you don't get instantaneous access to it after registering for 3 day trial period one, and they can take up to 24 hours to give you access, so register for it quickly if you want to watch SKare America. Third option is the premium one. If you decide for third option you have option for one month [12 dollars], 3 months (30dollars). Or six months option (it has lots more free stuff attached to it, so I don't remember ). I personally took 3 months options.

Google translator is great help, and I would suggest that you copy the material from each page google translator rather than open the page with google translator.

I can also add that the service is very reliable and you get access all the other sports channel which may be of interest to you. Personally I am enjoying their coverage of 2010 world Volleyball championships. Now I wish i could speak and understand Russian

vCash
    Thanks Domshabfan I doing it just like you say, I´ll try the one month option.

vCash
    Domshabfan beat me to explain, but the explanation speaks for itself very clear!

I don´t speak russian also, but after becoming a figure skating fan and research for the options to watch it on internet at least I have learned cyrilic and some basic words, but yes google translator is the key to get through the registration

About your internet speed you can watch their 3 free day trial period, just submit on the top of the page and you will have to wait like 1 hour or even less time to be approved and there you go, that way you can see if your internet band speed is enough

Thus far for me it works wonderful and its cheaper and have tons of archived material, so for me its better option than Webtv

vCash
    Yes, thanks Braulio, I took Domshabfan advice and Im currently watching a CoC rerun perfectly with the 3 day trial, Ill be upgrading to the month after it, to watch the GP final, this is really a great option for viewers outside the US, is a good deal, and the page works great (even with my google translated russian I didnt have any problems)

vCash
    Thank you, Domshabfan!

vCash
    Thanks for the TVTeka suggestion. I'm on the site now and it looks good. And I now know the Russian word for 'sport'!

One question though - I can see the streams for all the retrospective competitions but I can't see any sign of upcoming ones. No mention of when Skate America will be on. Can anyone help?

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bue View Post
    One question though - I can see the streams for all the retrospective competitions but I can't see any sign of upcoming ones. No mention of when Skate America will be on. Can anyone help?
    Skate America is being shown live on NTV-Plus Sport (НТВ-ПЛЮС Спорт). There is a full schedule given in the K&C forums, but the times are the same as the competition times, just translate to your timezone.

Figure skating = ФИГУРНОЕ КАТАНИЕ
    Schedule: http://www.ntvplus.ru/sport/article.xl?id=45961

The times are also listed in my online schedule.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast