Thread: Illusion spin

vCash

Question Illusion spin

I noticed that not that many top skaters do Illusion spin. Why is that? Does it still count as spin, with all those changes in rules?

If I wanted to use it in my program, where it would be best? In SP or in FS?

vCash
    You will probably see it more this year, now that it counts as a difficult variation of an upright spin. You need to do 3 turns, though, IIRC. You will probably see it most as the final upright position in a combination spin that also has at least one other difficult variation in a different position.

vCash

YUK!

I hate illusion spins.....almost as much as the "bend-over grab your ankle-upright spin!" Horrid position....esp for ladies in a dress!

vCash
    I hate bend down-grab skate upright spin too, but I love the illusion spin.

I think it is quite madness to persuade your head to go down and leg up while you are spinning (when learning the illusion spin).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    You will probably see it more this year, now that it counts as a difficult variation of an upright spin. You need to do 3 turns, though, IIRC. You will probably see it most as the final upright position in a combination spin that also has at least one other difficult variation in a different position.
    Thank you Doubletoe. So it is counted as a difficult variation of upright spin? I thought that it would be counted as parallel spin...

I just looked through the ISU communication No 1611 and can't find there anything at all about Illusion spins. Where in the rules is is addressed? Can anyone help?
    Last edited by hanca; 10-21-2010 at 06:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Thank you Doubletoe. So it is counted as a difficult variation of upright spin? I thought that it would be counted as parallel spin...

I just looked through the ISU communication No 1611 and can't find there anything at all about Illusion spins. Where in the rules is is addressed? Can anyone help?
    OK, I just looked up the July 1 USFSA document where I saw it shown as an upright variation, and saw that it has since been deleted. Now the July 27 "ISU Technical Panel Handbook" on USFSA.org shows the illusion spin as a difficult variation of an intermediate position. According to page 8 of the document (Page 4 in the spin clarification section):

“Windmill (Illusion): is considered a difficult variation of an intermediate position IP, it must be done at least 3 times in a row to be counted as a Level feature."

So you should be able to do your illusion spin as part of any combination spin that already has two basic positions (such as camel and sit).

vCash
    Thank you, Doubletoe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post

“Windmill (Illusion): is considered a difficult variation of an intermediate position IP, it must be done at least 3 times in a row to be counted as a Level feature."

So you should be able to do your illusion spin as part of any combination spin that already has two basic positions (such as camel and sit).
    ***backspin makes a mental note to never, NEVER attempt choreography for an IJS program***

vCash
    ok, I can do it once but what is the sekret for 3x? ps. I see this once in a lot of IJS footwork because it gets the head and shoulders below the knee.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I love Illusion spins! Watching them, that is. I can never get more than 2 before I fall over.

vCash
    Can't be THAT hard (in theory), if a 10 year old girl can do them! (I mean, relatively speaking. Not that hard for top skaters, not for me!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzk5wSTa2Gg