Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    That would make it impossible for most of today's ice dancers to perform...
    Oh snap!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by viennese View Post
    After watching NHK SDs, with the jarring/stitched together music cuts, I suggest a name change to....FrankenDance.

Stitched together from the corpses of old CDs. It's alive!
    Didn't we dub it Frankendance when the SD was finally announced in June?

ETA - Icedance.com did and we did discuss it - http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ce#post2797429
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    I really like this idea - you can pick any CD you want, and then build a program around it. It would certainly give the audience variety. I dont know how you'd mark it though.
    The problem with this idea is that having the skaters do the same set patterns makes marking and ranking much easier.

I would prefer either the CD or the OD. Although I've always loved the CD, I think my preference would be for a themed OD.

vCash
    One thing that has happened is that the two VW patterns in the SD (at least for the VW in Junior this year) have a significantly stronger influence on scoring.

In 2009, at JGP Turkey, teams scored an average of 14.88 points (level + GOE combined) on the CD patterns with a standard deviation of 2 points (IOW, 68% of the teams scored within 2 points of 14.88). Since the 2 points can be + or -, the total range is 4 points. With a median total score of 127, that means the CD patterns score accounted for about 3% (4/127) of the total score.

At the JGP Czech this year, the VW patterns had a median score of 10.43 and a standard deviation of 4.4 (or a range of 8.8 for 68% of the teams). With a median total score of 100 for this comp, it means that the VW patterns accounted for approximately 9% of the median score...almost 3 times the contribution under the previous system.

I'm not sure if this impact was anticipated by the rule changers, but it would appear to be related to a comment made earlier about the levels being called by the tech panel as opposed to the judges. Tech panel calling has resulted in significantly more volatility in the scores compared to when the judges assigned all the points through GOE.

I'm not sure who is more correct (more often??), the tech panel or the judges, but given the rather complicated scoring criteria for the level calling of the VW patterns, if I were a skater, I would rather take my chances that 5 judges get it right as opposed to 1 tech person getting it wrong.

vCash
    I like the format, just not most of what I'm seeing from the teams.

I love CDs, and I'm getting a kick out out of seeing the GW set to so many different pieces of music. I think a really creative team and choreographer could do something really special with the format. I also like the fact that the compulsory sequence appears to be an important part of the SD score, whereas I was worried that they would be an afterthought in this format.

It's a more viewer friendly format too, since that seems what they were going for. Again, I like compulsories, but the GW could be taxing to watch becuase of how long it takes to do two patterns while accompanied by that fluttery waltz music. I think the casual Olympic fan that has the potential to become a regular fan would be more willing watch the new format becuase of the variety. I'd rather it be this way than no CD at all.

I wish they would ditch the twizzle sequence in the SD to free up more time for choreograph though. They already twizzle so much in the side by side sequence anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mother View Post
    I'm not sure who is more correct (more often??), the tech panel or the judges, but given the rather complicated scoring criteria for the level calling of the VW patterns, if I were a skater, I would rather take my chances that 5 judges get it right as opposed to 1 tech person getting it wrong.
    You have expressed it in a way that I couldn't. I agree.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    The rhythm changes in many of the short dances really annoy me - waltz just does not go with tango, foxtrot, or quickstep. I preferred compulsories, but I wouldn't mind the SD if it had just one rhythm.

OK

vCash
    BURN!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mother View Post
    THREE tech people, not one. THREE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post

Didn't we dub it Frankendance when the SD was finally announced in June?

ETA - Icedance.com did and we did discuss it - http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ce#post2797429

ummmm....omg i just came across the funniest joke about our newly appointed President Gerald Ford. I am informed that he is quite clumsy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    THREE tech people, not one. THREE.
    I stand corrected. But just to be precise, it takes only two of the three to make a call.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123