Watch me move
    vCash

Unclogging an Aerosol Can of Spray Fixative - Help

So I'm taking a drawing class (my first), and the nozzle of the can of spray fixative I use on my drawings has clogged.

I pulled a layer of dried fixative off the spray point and poked it with a pin to clear it, but now all it does is make a half hearted ssssssss while a little dribble of fixative trickles out (not a spray).

Some sites on the Internets recommend sticking the nozzle head in hot water to clear it. I'm not so sure that's a good idea with a can that has dire warnings all over it about poison, explosion, fire, etc.

Has anyone who has used this stuff got any safer suggestions? This stuff is expensive and I'd sooner not have to buy a new can if that can be avoided.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Have you tried using acetone (nail polish remover)? Here are some other tips.

vCash
    See if you can find a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on the internet for the product. Not sure if it will help but it can assist with alerting you to the dangers. Or contact the company who makes the product.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I run hairspray nozzles under a bit of running hot/warm water to clear them sometimes. I don't think it's anywhere near hot enough to cause an explosion - and it's not like you're immersing the whole can.

vCash
    Please do not stick a pin in the aerosol nozzle if the nozzle is still on the can. Instead,to keep a nozzle clear in the first place, after you use it, turn the can upside down and press the nozzle until no more spray comes out.

With a clogged nozzle,you can, with some nozzles, actually pull the nozzle right out of the can and clean it with paint thinner, lacquer thinner, water, acetone - whatever the solvent is for what you're spraying. For nozzles that don't pull out, you can take a Q-tip and use it to clean off the nozzle.

Wear eye protection while working with your nozzle. But again, do not stick a pin or wire into the opening.

Your best bet is to call the 1-800 number on the can and ask the manufacturer how they'd like you to clean their nozzle, as nozzles differ.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    .... to keep a nozzle clear in the first place, after you use it, turn the can upside down and press the nozzle until no more spray comes out.
    The spray only stops for me when the can is empty