Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    After giving this a little bit of thought, I've realized my mom will hide things from me for a short amount of time.

Example 1: My step-grandfather died while I was still in school back in 2000. He died on Thursday morning, I was planning to go home that weekend anyway. On Thursday night, my mom called to make sure I was coming home, but nothing was said about my step-grandfather's death until I walked through the door at home.
    I can understand that. We had a family crisis when I was in my early 20's. My brother was in college and was in the middle of finals when it happened. He was about 3 hours away, there was nothing he could do, no one was dying, and nothing was going to change in the two days it would take for him to finish his tests. But, knowing would probably upset him and effect his ability to concentrate on his finals. I told my father not to tell my brother until his finals were over and he could come home. My father agreed, then called my brother that night. I was really angry. My brother came home the next day and got his finals postponed. He wound up not doing as well as he could have, when he did take them. There was absolutely no reason for him to come home, except it made my father feel better. My brother realized that after he got home and was upset that he did come running home.

I had a situation, when I was in college when my aunt suddenly passed away. I was in Florida, on spring break, and was driving home. My mother didn't tell me until I got home, because she didn't want me upset and driving (speeding).

Sometimes waiting is a really good idea

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    Is it LEGAL to deny diagnoses to a patient if he/she requests it?
    I was wondering that too - unless the patient is a minor, or perhaps has power of attorney of someone deemed incompetent? it seems odd that a family member could have that kind of authority over another person's own medical condition.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I was wondering that too - unless the patient is a minor, or perhaps has power of attorney of someone deemed incompetent? it seems odd that a family member could have that kind of authority over another person's own medical condition.
    In Russia it is a common occurance - a family member instructs the doctor not to tell the patient if he/she is terminally ill, and the doctor follows instructions to the T.

I know for fact that those people in Russia who surround me, have a STRONG conviction, that knowing about one's terminal illness, in MOST cases makes the patient loose a will to live productively the remains of the days.

I know many people in Russia who say "if I am terminal - I don't want to know. I want to live until the last day is due and then drop dead on site, quickly and painlessly". We often toast to "quick and painless death", like Pirates or Soldiers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I'm thinking that before HIPPA laws etc., a family might have gotten away with don't tell the patient. But now, the patient has to give written permission for the nurses/doctors to even talk to them. So, I can't see where hiding anything from the patient would work very well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123