vCash

Judges drawn for ISU comps (Euros, 4C, JW and Worlds)

http://bit.ly/aobE1N

I'm shocked that Japan does NOT have a judge for ladies OR men OR pairs at Worlds (pg. 6). Just ice dance. Same with Canada and France! (Also Austria, Estonia, Israel, but they don't strike me as as the Grand Prix host countries.)

USA has no ladies judge. Neither does Great Britain; both have the other three disciplines, though.

No ice dance judge (but have the other three disciplines): Russia, Switzerland and Bulgaria.

No pairs judge (but have other three disciplines): Australia

No men's judge (but have other three disciplines): Ukraine

Off the top of my head, some countries with no judge at all: Belgium, Denmark, Kazakhstan, Georgia, Latvia, Slovakia, Sweden.

vCash
    deleted

vCash
    Really werid draw, because last seasn Canada didtn have judges in WCh at all and this year the same situation? And now France and Japon.... I dont like this draw at all

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post

I'm shocked that Japan does NOT have a judge for ladies OR men OR pairs at Worlds (pg. 6). Just ice dance. Same with Canada and France! (Also Austria, Estonia, Israel, but they don't strike me as as the Grand Prix host countries.)
    Because of the qualifying round, a judge submitted by the federation has to be certified as an ISU level judge for both singles and pairs. I don't know if that is having any effect in this matter, but I guess it is possible.

Or maybe there was just an unlucky draw? I seem to recall the U.S. had a judge for one panel at the Los Angeles Worlds.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post
    http://bit.ly/aobE1N

Off the top of my head, some countries with no judge at all: Belgium, Denmark, Kazakhstan, Georgia, Latvia, Slovakia, Sweden.
    Korea as well, I think

vCash
    Yeah Australia has 3 for Worlds.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    except for Australia...the ladies panel for worlds is totally European...ack!
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Yuck. I guess we should expect Carolina and Laura to get 65+ for PCS at Worlds this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    except for Australia...the ladies panel for worlds is totally European...ack!
    Uzbekistan isn't in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Yuck. I guess we should expect Carolina and Laura to get 65+ for PCS at Worlds this year.
    Why? This isn't like the old Soviet Bloc judging, where Eastern European judges would back skaters from the USSR and satelite countries as much as possible. It might be true that judges from Eastern European countries (and Uzbekistan) favor a certain style of skating, but Kostner and Lepistö don't have that style.

And really, Europe isn't one big homogeneous mass of votes and uniform tastes, completely lacking in its own "politiks." It's certainly not in the interest of the Italian, Finnish, and Russian Federations to give each other's entrants exageratedly high PCS marks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    Uzbekistan isn't in Europe.

Why? This isn't like the old Soviet Bloc judging, where Eastern European judges would back skaters from the USSR and satelite countries as much as possible. It might be true that judges from Eastern European countries (and Uzbekistan) favor a certain style of skating, but Kostner and Lepistö don't have that style.

And really, Europe isn't one big homogeneous mass of votes and uniform tastes, completely lacking in its own "politiks." It's certainly not in the interest of the Italian, Finnish, and Russian Federations to give each other's entrants exageratedly high PCS marks.
    Well there has to be a lot of politking going on for the Europeans because even when they skate craptastic performances (ie Kostner at 2009 Worlds or Lepisto at 2010 Worlds), they still end up with PCS around 60 for the LP. Everyone else's PCS, when they bomb, drop considerably. Obviously, there is something going on there. You can argue that Kostner and Lepisto deserve 60+ PCS in the LP no matter what happens, but then why does every other skater get jeopradized on the second mark when they skate horribly? That's no fair, and it's the result of politiks and screwed up judging.

vCash
    You can argue that Kostner and Lepisto deserve 60+ PCS in the LP no matter what happens, but then why does every other skater get jeopradized on the second mark when they skate horribly?
    Probably because (to use your own words) those other skaters skate horribly when they single, double, or otherwise fluff their jumps, whereas Kostner and Lepistö generally skate just about as well when they don't execute all their elements properly as when they do.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Well there has to be a lot of politking going on for the Europeans because even when they skate craptastic performances (ie Kostner at 2009 Worlds or Lepisto at 2010 Worlds), they still end up with PCS around 60 for the LP. Everyone else's PCS, when they bomb, drop considerably. Obviously, there is something going on there. You can argue that Kostner and Lepisto deserve 60+ PCS in the LP no matter what happens, but then why does every other skater get jeopradized on the second mark when they skate horribly? That's no fair, and it's the result of politiks and screwed up judging.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    But the judges are without bias, why does it matter where they are from?

vCash