Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    I could see the Team Event being quite popular with the regular public. It's kinda like when people want the Gala ticket because you get to see the "best of the best" and all that.

There will have to be a limit of 6-8 countries. With 6 countries, that would be 24 routines, which is how many routines you see at the Olympics in the actual disciplines.

It's not like I wouldn't watch it, but I'm kinda meh on the prospect. And the "You see this in gymnastics!" argument does not sway me one bit. If anything, figure skating should move away from that annoying sport.

Someone needs to tell me why I should want Jessica Dube or Caydee Denney or Elena Leonova to have Olympic medals around their necks. I can barely stomach the idea that Evan Lysacek could have TWO gold medals--or Plushenko with two Platinum medals! If Elena does the chicken dance on the podium, maybe I'll consider it.
    Last edited by manhn; 10-18-2010 at 04:20 AM.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    But what if the gold medalists in the 4 disciplines pull out of the team competition? This year the winners of mens and pairs didn't go to worlds but the dance and ladies did.
    I can't think of many athletes who would pull out of an Olympics event that gives them another chance to represent their country because they've already won a medal

vCash
    Why not award medals for the individual portions in each discipline? Then an additional medal for the combined scores? In some cases that would mean 3 medals for one skater or team, but in others it could mean 3 different medals. That would give more skaters more opportunities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    It's not like I wouldn't watch it, but I'm kinda meh on the prospect. And the "You see this in gymnastics!" argument does not sway me one bit. If anything, figure skating should move away from that annoying sport.

Someone needs to tell me why I should want Jessica Dube or Caydee Denney or Elena Leonova to have Olympic medals around their necks. I can barely stomach the idea that Evan Lysacek could have TWO gold medals--or Plushenko with two Platinum medals! If Elena does the chicken dance on the podium, maybe I'll consider it.
    In both cases, agreed. First things first, gymnastics and figure skating are different sports. That argument kind of leaves me thinking . I mean, swimming and curling are both sports; should we start comparing their events?

As for the two medals thing, it just dilutes the first medal to win the second. The one-medal thing has sufficed for YEARS. Frankly, after watching Worlds this year, I think that's plenty.

Also, I can't imagine a gold medalist pulling out 3 amazing routines. I mean, look at Yuna in Vancouver-she scored 78-odd points in the short and 150-odd in the long. You mean to tell me that you would expect her to earn another 150 in a team event? Not that Korea would be one of the competitors, but you get the point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    But what if the gold medalists in the 4 disciplines pull out of the team competition? This year the winners of mens and pairs didn't go to worlds but the dance and ladies did.
    If there had been a team competition at the Olympics this year, the ladies' gold medalist wouldn't have been in it either.

vCash
    I like the idea, because it would give more skaters a chance to compete at the Olympics (Yukari, anyone?).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I like the idea, because it would give more skaters a chance to compete at the Olympics (Yukari, anyone?).
    I don't like it because of that. There were skaters who missed the team last year who I would have loved to see skate in the Olympics. But they had their chances. What's special about the Olympics is that not everyone makes it. It also makes it disappointing sometimes, but that's the way these things are.

But would these team events be new skaters or the ones who originally made it to the individual events?

Either way, I think I'd vote no. I don't think a team event would significantly boost the popularity of the sport, and it would be extra work and stress for everyone involved. Plus, one thing that's always appealed to me with figure skating in the Olympics is that there is only one shot. The event is more exciting knowing that there isn't a second chance at winning a medal. And it makes the medals and champions more special, imo.

I do enjoy the team competitions, though. Just not as part of the Olympics.

vCash
    I like the idea, because it would give more skaters a chance to compete at the Olympics
    Gwendoline Didier, for example?

vCash
    Unless Mao, Miki and Akiko withdrew after getting sick from eating a Japadog, how was Yukari gonna compete?

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    Women's gymnastics floor routines are choreographed to music.
    Well, just about.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    In addition to singles, pairs, and dance, I'd prefer to see the following events in Olympic skating:

Spin
    Jump
    Synchro

I definitely think it would add to the excitement of the sport, and forcing skating to keep an "aura" by only having the traditional events is silly. Things change - scoring systems change, difficulty of jumps change - why not events?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    In addition to singles, pairs, and dance, I'd prefer to see the following events in Olympic skating:

Spin
    Jump
    Synchro

I definitely think it would add to the excitement of the sport, and forcing skating to keep an "aura" by only having the traditional events is silly. Things change - scoring systems change, difficulty of jumps change - why not events?
    Interesting. But what about footwork? I think they should bring figures back as a separate event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post

Spin
    Jump
    Synchro

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Interesting. But what about footwork? I think they should bring figures back as a separate event.
    Synchro unfortunately has the drawback of adding a couple hundred additional athletes. School figures has the drawback of needing a lot of ice time without attracting audiences. So much as I think those disciplines deserve to be in the Olympics, I'm resigned to the fact that they're not.

Now, elements competitions would be much easier to hold with the skaters who are already there, in either an individual or a team format.

There could also be, say, lift and throw elements for pairs.

Maybe the footwork competition should be for ice dance teams. Or have a solo step sequence, side-by-side step sequence (teams would undoubtedly recycle the ones from their Short Dances, or pair teams could enter it also) and in-hold step sequence as separate elements.

That would be a nice relaxed event for the skaters to compete in after their main events are done but still somewhat exciting for the audiences.

If it's a team competition, in theory a country that doesn't have a pair team, for example, could still enter an element competition and have their singles skaters and or dance team perform some simple pair moves for that requirement, expecting much lower scores for those elements than trained pair teams would earn. Or there could be a provision for each country that has at least three different disciplines represented at the Olympics to enter the team comp and to bring in one more skater or couple who didn't qualify for the main Olympic event to compete just for the team comp.

vCash
    I think these are all really interesting ideas, and I would enjoy them. However, the ISU and IOC have indicated, via the elimination of compulsories in dance, that they want to shorten the Olympic FS time, not add to it.

vCash
    I would rather they begin by giving medals to the top three in the short and free program as well as an overall winner. Just like the ISU does.
    I always kind of liked this idea too, but the Olympic rules don't permit it. They require every Olympic medal event to have at least one part that is unique to it. If skating wanted to give separate medals for SP, free, and combined, they would need to do the SP and free skates twice.

I believe the ISU eliminated the small medals at the last Congress. (There was a proposal to that effect, anyway.)

I think the team competition is a fairly awful idea. We won't see more routines, we will just see the same ones over again. IMO, the proliferation of skating gold medalists would really devalue the significance of the individual medals. I'd find it kind of embarrassing to see skaters who couldn't even make to podium in their own event getting Olympic gold medals on the strength of their countrymen.

Where are they going to fit this into the schedule? They already have figure skating every other day and the same rink is used for short track speed skating on the other days. Did getting rid of the CD really make room for this event?

vCash
    Well, they could do it instead of the exhibition gala, which is an extra day of ice time without competition. Do other sports have anything similar?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Unless Mao, Miki and Akiko withdrew after getting sick from eating a Japadog, how was Yukari gonna compete?
    Right. Yukari wouldn't have gotten that chance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I always kind of liked this idea too, but the Olympic rules don't permit it. They require every Olympic medal event to have at least one part that is unique to it. If skating wanted to give separate medals for SP, free, and combined, they would need to do the SP and free skates twice.
    In swimming they have a 100 meter and 200 meter butterfly which are in essence the same race only twice as long. Same with track and speed skating so I'm not sure why the IOC would be against giving medals to a short program or a free skate when even though they are performed on the ice are two different programs. Then give an overall medal to the all-round winner.

I don't think any athlete would be against winning more medals if the opportunity was there. But the WTT was kind of a mess so they would really need to revamp it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    In swimming they have a 100 meter and 200 meter butterfly which are in essence the same race only twice as long. Same with track and speed skating so I'm not sure why the IOC would be against giving medals to a short program or a free skate when even though they are performed on the ice are two different programs. Then give an overall medal to the all-round winner.
    But they don't turn around and give medals to the overall winner of the 100 meter and 200 meter butterfly event. The point is that if individual medals were given for individual events and a combined medal given the skaters would have to skate their sp and lp's all over again to get the medal given for the combined event.

vCash
    No way! Figure skating is an individual sport!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast