Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Facebook question?

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping this is possible to do and I'm hoping someone can help me.....

I'm wondering if there's a way to just "hide" or go offline on one person on facebook....I enjoy chatting with some people on there, but would like to avoid another who always seems to be there and always wants to chat. I can't remove him as a friend though, as he's a coworker and we're friendly enough, I'd just rather not chat with him all the time. Hopefully that makes sense!

Thanks in advance!

vCash
    It makes perfect sense. I have a coworker like that too.

Sorry I can't answer, but am eagerly awaiting answers.

INTJ
    vCash
    Just make a friend list and then you can always be offline to whoever you don't want to chat with.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

vCash
    Okay awesome, thanks made_in_canada I think I've figured it out.....for Norlite and anyone else who is interested :

- Go to the box on the lower right where it shows who's online
    - click on friends list
    - click on create a new list
    - enter a name for said list
    - drag whomever you don't want to chat with into the box
    - go "offline" to this list by clicking on the green status button to the right on the list name

So far so good, I seem to be offline to the dude I don't want to talk to and online to everyone else - perfect!

Thank you made_in_canada

INTJ
    vCash
    You're welcome I've had need for it too
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrak View Post
    Okay awesome, thanks made_in_canada I think I've figured it out.....for Norlite and anyone else who is interested :

- Go to the box on the lower right where it shows who's online
    - click on friends list
    - click on create a new list
    - enter a name for said list
    - drag whomever you don't want to chat with into the box
    - go "offline" to this list by clicking on the green status button to the right on the list name

So far so good, I seem to be offline to the dude I don't want to talk to and online to everyone else - perfect!

Thank you made_in_canada
    Now, you just have to worry that he knows you post here and reads this. Just kidding.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Another newbie question.

Is there a way to do an "advanced search" for people? If you have an old friend from school named Jerry Smith and you're wondering if he's on Facebook... Well, there's so many that you'd never find him.

So can I do some sort of advanced search, like add the city he lives or grew up in? Or the high school we both attended? Thanks for your help!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Good question about the advanced search. I think the answer is NO. The results usually show people in your area first but then everyone else is listed pretty randomly. There could be thousands of results. I can't believe they haven't come up with a more advanced search option. Remember though, you can make yourself unsearchable, I think, so you may never be able to find someone even if they are on FB.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Used to be that you could search for "Jerry Smith, scottdale AZ", or "Jerry Smith, Lincoln High school" and that would help define your search, but it seems like that does not work anymore.

I just try to think of someone with a more unusual name that we know in common and hope I can search their friend list
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Yes, Genevieve is right. You used to be able to search based on city (until a few months ago). But, now that option is gone. As for finding someone, I do the same thing Genevieve does, I think of someone else who might be friends with the person and go on their list. Most times it works, but not always.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    considering all the ways in which FB is trying to make its users share their info, seems strange that they would have taken away one of the things that made it earlier for people to find each other. Maybe Zuckerman wants to encourage users to befriend people they don't actually know.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    You can still do an advanced search, if I'm looking at this correctly:

If you do a search for "Jerry Smith" it brings up a bunch of pages for that. On the left hand side, under All Results, there is a tab called People. If you click on that, it narrows it down to all the Jerry Smiths who are people and adds another search box so you can narrow those results down by location. Then you can enter the town and hope the Jerry Smith you are looking for is there.

vCash
    ^^ I was going to say precisely this but jamesy beat me to it.

vCash
    There used to be an entire "Advanced Search" option - you could enter high school or college and class year, etc. The format I'm remembering was from 4-5 years ago though.

Does anyone else get mildly upset every time they make changes? haha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    You can still do an advanced search, if I'm looking at this correctly:

If you do a search for "Jerry Smith" it brings up a bunch of pages for that. On the left hand side, under All Results, there is a tab called People. If you click on that, it narrows it down to all the Jerry Smiths who are people and adds another search box so you can narrow those results down by location. Then you can enter the town and hope the Jerry Smith you are looking for is there.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    ^^ I was going to say precisely this but jamesy beat me to it.
    Yes, I see that now. But it used to be much easier to use.

vCash
    yeah, it sucks that Facebook made it harder to stalk people

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I hate when that happens.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    I have a question too, before I started playing games I hid all the posts from the various games that showed up on my page. Now that I've gotten hooked on some games I would like the posts back. How do you reinstate something after you click "hide"?

vCash
    That's not quite what I meant. but actually Facebook made it easier to truly stalk people with their four-square program. I think that is what it's called. I read something about it, that you sign up and then you post where you are going and Facebook provides a Google map to the location. Who would be crazy enough to do that?

vCash
    I've gotten another facebook question.
    Basically, I had a fall-out with a *so-called*friend and he cancelled me from his FB friends. Bueno, it is ok with me; I wanted to actually block him, so that he can't see my stuff if I post on common friends' photos of profiles, but I have come to the conclusion that he has done that with me, and basically I can't enter him as one of the people in my block list because I can't search for him. So now I'm pi**ed off because I think he can still see my posts on some friends' pages (am I right? I have everything as "friends only" but still I know I can see comments made on my friends' stuff by people I am not friend with, I think he might see mine then), and I have no way of blocking him... unless someone has some info on this!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast