Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Why are Ladies figure skates White?

I am doing a report on the color white. The report is on color psychology for a Color Fundamentals class. I picked white.

So my question is, why are Ladies skates white? Is there any specific reason? I have googled this and all I get are results to buy skates, so any info would be great.

vCash
    The answer to that goes back to Sonia Henie (sp?) Sonia was the first to wear white boots, before that all skates for both Men and Women were black.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingDancer View Post
    The answer to that goes back to Sonia Henie (sp?) Sonia was the first to wear white boots, before that all skates for both Men and Women were black.
    I knew Sonia started it, but other than that did she have a reason for it? Sorry I'm being so nit picky - I want a really good grade

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    I knew Sonia started it, but other than that did she have a reason for it? Sorry I'm being so nit picky - I want a really good grade
    Sonia wanted to stand out, and thank to her considerablly wealthy family, she was able to. From costumes and outfits designed by her personal taylor.

vCash
    Sonia wanted to stand out, and thank to her considerablly wealthy family, she was able to. From costumes and outfits designed by her personal taylor.
    Thank you so much for your help

vCash
    Ladies skates should be pink!

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    Maroon for the ladiezzzzzzzzzz skates color!

vCash
    That. I also heard that she wanted white to go with a white dress for The Swan. I don't know if that's just legend, though.

vCash

Get yer bagpipes ready...

The Kerrs should be plaid!

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by equatorial View Post
    Maroon for the ladiezzzzzzzzzz skates color!
    I liked Pasha's purple skates.

vCash
    I like it the way it is : black for men and white for ladies. I think it is so classy. And I thought it was natural ! So thanks to Sonja Henie !

vCash
    Sonja wore white for her skating version of Pavlova's Swan. The whiteness stuck.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post

Prior to 1940 (at least the United States), it was pink for boys and blue for girls. No one seems to know why that changed.

Don't know, but Sonja may have wanted her skates to be the same color as the ice.

Interesting piece: Fashion Evolution of the Skating Dress
    http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beaut...g-dress-885813
    Last edited by Iceman; 02-18-2011 at 01:36 PM.

vCash
    I too had heard the Sonja Henie story. First she started wearing beige to be different, then when others copied she switched to white.

I can think of a practical reason. The leather underneath the polish is gray. I would think black and white would blend and cover gray best in addition to matching the most costumes.

Elite skaters probably pay up to $1,000 for a pair of skates. So having them in different colors is not cost effective.

Beige and soft pink are becoming popular for women because they blend with the tights and are also neutral colors.

As far as cultural reasons, aren't light colors usually considered feminine and dark colors masculine? I suppose women are supposed to be delicate, soft, graceful, and men strong and forceful.

I have seen pictures of John Curry in white skates. He was obsessed with the grace and flow of classical ballet. Some male skaters are uncomfortable with that and prefer skating as merely sport.

vCash
    According to an encyclopedia article (NOT Wiki), Sonja's skating version of Pavlova's "Dying Swan" was first seen in Milan, Italy in 1933. She was wearing white boots long before this, so it doesn't appear that The Swan played a role in her change of boot color.

vCash
    According to her autobiography, Henie started the trend of short skirts because she (and her father) wanted the judges to be able to see her feet and legs while she skated. As she was still very young, she could get away with wearing short dresses, while the older women she competed against were all wearing the long skirts considered decorous at the time. The short dresses also allowed her to do more tricks than the women hampered by yards of heavy fabric.

I thought I remembered reading that Henie favored white skates because she had tiny feet and the skates called attention to them. But I can't find that source now.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    I just assumed white goes with everything. And if not wear boot covers, but puleeeezzzz stop pulling your tights over your boots.

vCash
    Tights over boots is often a coach's preference; it is with mine. She likes the elongated look it creates for one's leg. Also, it is necessary in synchro and group skating as not all skates look alike and not all skaters can wear the same skate brand. Please remember too that some of us perform/compete in boots that are rather beaten up but still work well for us, so tights over boots hide that. You cannot cover all dings with polish! Also, some skaters just want to have different colored or funkier looking boots; however, white or beige are needed for competition/testing. The tight over boot helps here.

I know a lot of fans hate the look, but many skater like me prefer to use it in performance situations.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Elite skaters probably pay up to $1,000 for a pair of skates. So having them in different colors is not cost effective.

Beige and soft pink are becoming popular for women because they blend with the tights and are also neutral colors.
    It's also not a good use of time. Breaking in skates takes many hours, and sometimes hurts.

I personally think white skates are pretty, and I don't like boot covers and over-the-boot tights.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Tights over boots is often a coach's preference; it is with mine. She likes the elongated look it creates for one's leg. Also, it is necessary in synchro and group skating as not all skates look alike and not all skaters can wear the same skate brand. Please remember too that some of us perform/compete in boots that are rather beaten up but still work well for us, so tights over boots hide that. You cannot cover all dings with polish! Also, some skaters just want to have different colored or funkier looking boots; however, white or beige are needed for competition/testing. The tight over boot helps here.

I know a lot of fans hate the look, but many skater like me prefer to use it in performance situations.
    I hate it, personally. I can understand for syncro, I guess, but otherwise I think it actually doesn't elongate the leg, but instead makes the ankle look lumpy and fat. This is even more the case with thinner girls -- it's holy giant feet batman! It doesn't bother me as much when it's actually the skate and it's obvious, but with the over-the-boot tights it just looks clunky as heck and makes no sense to me.

And polish and cleaning works wonders, especially if you do it a lot. I used to clean and polish my skates weekly or every other week when I competed. I paid for my custom skates myself as a high school student, and I got a bit obsessive, I guess? Coaches that weren't mine would always ask me if I got new skates and I was like, "well, two years ago, I just polish them." And I used to skate five days a week, too.

vCash
    Clean, shiny skates are more appealing to my eye. Someone once described the OTB look as "having hooves." ITA

I despise the way I look in OTB tights, which I had the joy of seeing this year for the first time. Not a good look for me or my skates - you could see them through the tights, like I was wearing curtains! In fairness, some brands/styles look better than others. My kids like the soft Mondor ones with clips more than the pullover-styles.

As a reformed Queen of Boot Rot, I keep our skates in good condition regularly and never let them look like they've been in a war zone. The kids' skates usually sell at skate swaps pretty quickly as a result. I get a comment about "New skates?" at every coaching conference. I usually just say "aren't they beautiful?" and let it go, lol.

However, many skaters feel that damaged skates are a badge of honor showing that they're better/skate more/do difficult things. To each his own.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 02-18-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast