vCash

Dorothy Hamill Article

How did I miss that she has remarried?

Hamill's hair is still short, hugs her face and has the wedge in the bangs. She married again a year ago and has three step-children and two dogs. She teaches adults how to skate and is involved in a program that gives some children with spinal cord injuries an opportunity to skate.
    http://www.omaha.com/article/20101014/NEWS01/710159910

vCash
    I wish her great happiness in her new life.

vCash
    Good for Dorothy for talking about her depression. This kind of openness really does help remove some of the stigmas and encourages other people to seek treatment.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Great article and it's wonderful that Dorothy will talk about her depression and help encourage others to get help.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Great article. This explained a lot about Dorothy. I wish her the best.

vCash
    I saw her sitting with a very nice-looking guy during some of the skating events in Vacouver last February. Wow. So that must have been her husband. Congrats, Dorothy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    Good for Dorothy for talking about her depression. This kind of openness really does help remove some of the stigmas and encourages other people to seek treatment.
    That is extremely admirable. She definitely comes across as very real. And her story shows that winning a gold medal really does little in the long run to help a person's self-esteem. In fact, it could easily make things worse. Depression obviously runs in her family--it has affected her parents, her brother, her, and even her daughter. How awful. She didn't mention her sister, so maybe she doesn't have problems with it.

Here's a picture of Dot and her new husband, John MacColl. The other woman is no relation.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3243/...e89b15.jpg?v=0

vCash
    Does anyone know who her new husband is? In a recent "People" article seems she is trying to keep him out of public view, but, realistically, how long can she pull that off?

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    ^ Midori Ito has said the same thing about her husband. Peggy Fleming does the same with her husband . . . I don't think it is unrealistic. He just does not need to go to every event and pose for photo ops while she continues to do so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    ^ Midori Ito has said the same thing about her husband. Peggy Fleming does the same with her husband . . . I don't think it is unrealistic. He just does not need to go to every event and pose for photo ops while she continues to do so.
    Peggy Fleming's husband is most certainly not out of the public view. They own a winery, www.flemingjenkins.com, and are quite a public couple. He also accompanies her to events sometimes. When he was practicing medicine, he was home working. Since he retired he travels with her more often.

vCash
    ^ Having a picture on one's website is not trying to be a celebrity. He is just doing his business. Many small business websites, including vineyards and MD offices, have the proprietor's image on the website.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 10-19-2010 at 05:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    ^ Having a picture on one's website is not trying to be celebrity. He is just doing his business. Many small business websites, including vineyards and MD offices, have the proprietor's image on the website.
    Having photos all over the website, engaging in joint marketing efforts, making appearances together and being photographed together on a regular basis is not staying out of the public attention. He's not trying to be a celebrity, but neither is he trying to be unknown.

vCash
    Iceman, thank you for posting this article.

Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Here's a picture of Dot and her new husband, John MacColl. The other woman is no relation.
    Is her nickname Dot? I don't remember hearing her called that before.

Does anyone know where she teaches skating? I'm not able to find it easily in google searches. Thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrity View Post
    Does anyone know where she teaches skating? I'm not able to find it easily in google searches. Thanks.
    I believe the article is referring to the "fantasy skating camp" that she runs for adults in (I think) September in MA (Cape Cod? Martha's Vineyard?). To my knowledge, she does not teach anywhere on a regular basis.

vCash
    Thank you Debbie S. I remember seeing a thread about the camp.

When you mentioned the Massachusetts location, I went to her website out of curiosity. The price was quite steep.

vCash
    She taught the fantasy camp in Nantucket, where everything is expensive!

vCash
    Here is a September People Magazine in which she talks about the after effects of her cancer treatment. Until a recent Today show I didn't realize all the damage one can suffer from cancer treatment, including but not limited to something they call brain fog. It almost made me make the decision not to have treatment if it can do that much damage.
    And I personally know one case where the cancer was cured but the treatment left the patient with pulmonary fibrosis, which is a deadly disease that is terminal unless the patient can get a transplant. I hope I am never faced with that decision, but I wonder---do the doctors inform the patients of the damage chemo and radiation, etc can cause to some of the major body organs.
    http://www.people.com/people/article...429925,00.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrity View Post
    Is her nickname Dot? I don't remember hearing her called that before.
    We call people in skating just about anything we want to. Does Scott H. really go by "Scotty"? I think not, but people call him that on the Internet all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman
    Do the doctors inform the patients of the damage chemo and radiation, etc can cause to some of the major body organs.
    Maybe the really good ones do. But in general, besides collecting their paychecks, do doctors do even a fraction of what they're supposed to?
    Last edited by neptune; 10-20-2010 at 10:46 AM.