Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    vCash
    You can tell Lipinski really enjoys commentating, last year I didn't think she did that well but this year seems like she really improved. Still miss Button/Peggy tho, but I guess it's time to move on for the new.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post

All in all, she seems to be talking to hear the sound of her own voice. Terry had to rescue her at least once last week when she just went rambiling off somewhere LOL!

Enjoy hearing Terry again.
    Have Tara or Michael had ANY broadcasting or communications training? Yes, their insights are great at times, but Tara especially does seem to not understand communication skills. Isn't she nearing 30? I am not sure if it is her voice pattern or the cadence of it that doesn't match the pro commentators. Maybe I have it wrong and they want her to just speak as though she is talking to someone in her own living room. Michael and Tanith also need a bit more training. They try to rush their comments or something which I don't think the pros do. CBC commentators have it down fairly nicely. Also, I kind of miss Mr. Button's comments in the background.

vCash
    Well, I wouldn't expect folks who just started out to be as seasoned as the people who've been doing it for 20 years, lol!!

I think they're off to a good start, although I did think Lipinski let herself get carried away on a couple of occasions. But I enjoy her insight.

vCash
    It was so wonderful to hear Terry's voice again after all this time. I didn't even mind Michael Weiss (who is pretty good BTW).

vCash
    I am watching Cup of China replay on Universal. SHUT UP TARA. She talked almost non stop through the last skater "some skaters don't relate to the music, but you can see that Lenova does" Discussions of the 13 year olds coming up and on and on and on... She makes Scott and Sandra look downright QUIET!

Thank goodness I had already seen the skate on IN. LOL!

vCash
    I've been quite impressed by Michael Weiss's commenting/pbp - he's much more low key than most sports analysts. He generally keeps his insights on the subjects of technical/choreographic/competitive mindset.

I also enjoy Tanith Belbin. Yes, she talks more than our beloved Susie Wynne, but she's convinced me that she's up on the rules, and she seems to have a slightly irreverent sense of humor.

I knew we had a winning team in Belbin/Andrea Joyce/Terry Gannon when Tanith fell apart, giggling, at the Italian dance team's one-arm/grip-and-grin lift.

JEWELS.
    vCash
    NBC Commentary team for Grand Prix Final broadcast (Dec. 12):
    Commentators: Terry Gannon, Scott Hamilton, Tara Lipinski
    http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/n...9943481820.xml

vCash
    Scott & Tara??

Oh boy.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    oooooooh, SHOWDOWN or SMACKDOWN!

More than likely they won't be in the booth at the same time though. Scott for men, Tara for ladies, and I don't know how they'll divide the pairs and dance.

vCash
    So, this weekend I've been catching up with the season and watching all my dvds. Here's my thoughts:

Andrea Joyce: Her ageist remarks about P/T at NHK were unbelievable. All she does is girl-talk with whomever her co-worker is and she interrogated Peter about why he was remided of Katia Gordeeva. Ugh. She also comes off as a major know-it-all and I noticed once that Peter ignored her question completely because it was so annoying.

Terry, imo, was rude about Zhang. "Can't go home again" when all the girl wants is to have fun on the ice like when she was 13? What a rude thing to say! Just because Zhang isn't 13 doesn't mean she can't recapture that joy. Once her technique is solid, she'll feel wonderfully confident again.

Tara truly is all about "me, me, me, I, I, I", who cares, Tara! Plus what a know-it-all. At the end of Kanako's FS at NHK, Tara said, "she is thinking, 'my idol Mao is here and while I didn't skate very well, I have a chance'" (paraphrasing of course), like she's in her head. She could've said "I think she is thinking", but no. Plus she has to point out when someone falls, uh, yeah, Tara, we all recognize that! Her voice drives me crazy, too. Tara talked all through the ladies free from Cup of Russia, too. She doesn't let you have your own thoughts as she jumps to tell you what her impressions are.

Tanith at first was great, but I can't really take her seriously when she commentates on D/W, conflict of interest. Chris Dean commentated during the Ducheney's career, I know, but it bugs me.

I ended up putting it on mute almost the whole show...

-Bridget

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John 3 17 View Post

Andrea Joyce: Her ageist remarks about P/T at NHK were unbelievable. All she does is girl-talk with whomever her co-worker is and she interrogated Peter about why he was remided of Katia Gordeeva. Ugh. She also comes off as a major know-it-all and I noticed once that Peter ignored her question completely because it was so annoying.

Terry, imo, was rude about Zhang. "Can't go home again" when all the girl wants is to have fun on the ice like when she was 13? What a rude thing to say! Just because Zhang isn't 13 doesn't mean she can't recapture that joy. Once her technique is solid, she'll feel wonderfully confident again.

-Bridget
    Andrea Joyce is an embarrassment; she seems to think Mishin's name is Mishkin and she can't seem to tell the difference in the pronunciation of Alena vs. Aliona.

As for Saint Terry, he is the most boring and unknowledgeable of commentators going. He can disappear from my screen any time soon and I won't miss him one bit. How many years has he been covering skating now and he still knows nothing about the sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Andrea Joyce is an embarrassment; she seems to think Mishin's name is Mishkin and she can't seem to tell the difference in the pronunciation of Alena vs. Aliona.
    I'll grant you that "Mishkin" is clearly wrong, but I think someone with a Russian connection said some time ago that the second vowel in Leonova's first name is , so her name is really pronounced like Savchenko's--i.e., "Aliona". It seems that when Leonova's name was transliterated for her ISU records, no distinction was made between the Cyrillic e (pronounced like English "ye") and the Cyrillic (prounounced rather like English "yo"). So it would be correct to say "Aliona", but given the ISU spelling it's also understable that many commentators say "Alena".

vCash
    I love to hear his voice. so far he was in three GP event.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viennese View Post
    I've been quite impressed by Michael Weiss's commenting/pbp - he's much more low key than most sports analysts. He generally keeps his insights on the subjects of technical/choreographic/competitive mindset.
    What I have enjoyed most about Michael Weiss, is not only his focus on the skaters we are all seeing, but the tenor of his voice. He does not shout over the music and break our concentration. You can listen to him or tune him out. How refreshing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acraven View Post
    I'll grant you that "Mishkin" is clearly wrong, but I think someone with a Russian connection said some time ago that the second vowel in Leonova's first name is , so her name is really pronounced like Savchenko's--i.e., "Aliona". It seems that when Leonova's name was transliterated for her ISU records, no distinction was made between the Cyrillic e (pronounced like English "ye") and the Cyrillic (prounounced rather like English "yo"). So it would be correct to say "Aliona", but given the ISU spelling it's also understable that many commentators say "Alena".
    OK, we'll split the difference on this one.

vCash
    I like Michael Weiss and Tanith. IMO They both project to the general audience that they actually know something about skating. I think they are doing a good job and they will get more proficient with a little more experience.

vCash
    I'm correcting myself here: it was actually Terry who (I felt) interrogated Peter, not Andrea. She's still awful though and Terry's no saint

Michael Weiss rocks! He was so quiet that I actually said out loud, "You could tell us that that was a triple axel" (not that we wouldn't know, but the general audience). He was great and I agree that if one wants to, one can tune him out easily. I also liked what he did actually to say when he said anything at all.

-Bridget

vCash
    I'm correcting myself here: it was actually Terry who (I felt) interrogated Peter, not Andrea. She's still awful though and Terry's no saint

Michael Weiss rocks! He was so quiet that I actually said out loud, "You could tell us that that was a triple axel" (not that we wouldn't know, but the general audience). He was great and I agree that if one wants to, one can tune him out easily. I also liked what he did actually to say when he said anything at all.
    Oh, I love Terry...even if he's an interrogator

I hate to admit it, but Weiss is a pretty decent commentator. I guess it's along the lines of Tara, I like their commentating way more than their skating.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Oh, I love Terry...even if he's an interrogator

I hate to admit it, but Weiss is a pretty decent commentator. I guess it's along the lines of Tara, I like their commentating way more than their skating.
    LOL, as for Tara, as much as I disliked her skating, I prefer it to her awful commentary! Talk, talk, talk, about me, me, me.

-Bridget

vCash
    LOL, as for Tara, as much as I disliked her skating, I prefer it to her awful commentary! Talk, talk, talk, about me, me, me.

-Bridget
    I haven't heard Tara this season because I've been on Ice Network, but I thought was fine last year.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast