Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Okay, the commercial NBC is using to advertise figure skating is so weird. "Any competition could be the last". Are we supposed to believe that someone is going to drop dead in the middle?
    Commercial? Is NBC actually PROMOTING this coverage??

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Pleased not to have to hear constipated Scott. and his never ending comments on the “new”scoring system.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Commercial? Is NBC actually PROMOTING this coverage??
    It's during the coverage of Gymnastics worlds. I assume they figure the audience is the same. They even show the same amount of sad animal commercials.

vCash
    It's during the coverage of Gymnastics worlds. I assume they figure the audience is the same. They even show the same amount of sad animal commercials.
    Ok, I see. Yes, that makes sense then.

OT, but I didn't even realize I hit 2K posts. ha

vCash
    I think it would be a great idea to televise a 30 minute snippet on how the scoring system works during a major competition, maybe worlds. They could explain the concept of the base value, GOE, underrotations and downgrades, etc. They really do not need to go into higher level details...the general public doesn't need to know that holding a spin for eight revolutions increases the level or that one has to do so many different types of turns in the footwork. They just need to understand the basic foundations of the IJS to engage interest and avoid what might be seen as a "shocking" or "unfair" result because of lack of knowledge of the system. I also think it would be useful to put each skater's protocol information on the screen after their scores come up. Then the audience would be able to see exactly what happened.

vCash
    30 MINUTES?? Who would sit through that, besides hardcore skate fans? The network needs to come up with a way to explain the BASIC nuances of the Cop (save the details for the broadcast) to the lay public. This probably shouldn't take more than about 5-7 minutes, otherwise people will tune out. Attention spans are short in these parts...

ETA: I think getting someone like Tara Lipinski in the booth is a step in the right direction, though. I feel with some practice on her part, the audience can learn the system WITH her as they watch the skaters. And that is the best case scenario.
    Last edited by RD; 10-24-2010 at 09:25 PM.

vCash
    Can we pleeeeeease ditch Carruthers?? His idea of a good time is to compare a 19-yr-old rookie to 4-time World Champ Kurt Browning and point out that the kid isn't like him. Well, duh! It was so rude. If Peter wanted to mention Kurt, a better way would've been: Miner is skating to Casablanca, music that was an iconic program for Browning and figure skating in general. And if Andrea then said: Do you think Miner's watched Kurt's program? Answer: Yes! Everyone in skating has seen that magnificent program! But, PC did it in a rude way, imo.

-Bridget

vCash
    30 MINUTES?? Who would sit through that, besides hardcore skate fans? The network needs to come up with a way to explain the BASIC nuances of the Cop (save the details for the broadcast) to the lay public. This probably shouldn't take more than about 5-7 minutes, otherwise people will tune out. Attention spans are short in these parts...

ETA: I think getting someone like Tara Lipinski in the booth is a step in the right direction, though. I feel with some practice on her part, the audience can learn the system WITH her as they watch the skaters. And that is the best case scenario.
    Perhaps you're right. I think 10 minutes sounds reasonable...they could easily do it before the event starts instead of their usual fluff pieces. Clear, concise, and informative.

vCash
    But I still want to know WTF NBC thinks might happen during the competition that would result in it being "the last".

vCash
    But I still want to know WTF NBC thinks might happen during the competition that would result in it being "the last".
    It's rather odd for them to say that. Maybe meaning that they might not qualify for the final? Or, perhaps, the sport is so dangerous they might critically injure themselves and be forced into retirement? I have no clue.

vCash
    Thank goodness Sandra Bezic is not on the team. Somehow Scott & Sandra make each other even worse. Tracy Wilson should temper Scott somewhat.

vCash
    Glad to see Terry Gannon back! A breath of fresh air...he's articulate, does his homework and does not chatter over the skaters programs. Weiss...hmmmmmm, will have to wait and see on that one. How well does he know COP? Tara....still needs some work, but getting better.

vCash
    I think the fewer reporters that are present, the smoother the broadcast flows.
    Exactly. As they say, "Too many kooks spoil the broadcast."

vCash
    Weiss Tweeted this earlier today:

Now at airport headed to commentate NHK & Sk8 Canada for Uni sports & NBC...I know - less talk,more sk8 = good

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Now at airport headed to commentate NHK & Sk8 Canada for Uni sports & NBC...I know - less talk,more sk8 = good
    Mike must be a quick learner. Even after several years, many commentators never come to that realization.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Mike must be a quick learner. Even after several years, many commentators never come to that realization.
    He may know the theory, but he hasn't learned how to put it into practice. I've already had enough of him to last me the entire season. He talks too much. I don't need to hear him talk about his great triumph over his stitches or his marriage. And we heard him yammer incessantly about the quad when he kept trying to land it himself. He seems determined to continue in that vein during commentary. During the short program, he didn't talk about any of the other rules or even any of the other rule changes. I never thought I'd say this, but I'd prefer to have Scott commentate. Can't they bring back Paul Wylie?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    He seems determined to continue in that vein during commentary.
    Michael Weiss was mainlining during the commentary??? That would be a first.

Can't they bring back Paul Wylie?
    Did he decide to leave on his own?

vCash
    I hope Tara becomes the new face of skating commentary. She's simply a natural IMO.

I just listened to her commentary of Alissa Czisny's SP at Skate Canada, and it was informative and wonderfully articulate.

She gave an objective (but kind) analysis of the skaters' strengths and weaknesses, as well as technical insight when necessary regarding spins/jumps/etc., not to mention relative background tidbits on the skater to familiarize them to the audience watching at home--all the while without being an intrusive distraction on the performance.

I must say, however, it was quite a trip hearing Terry and Tara in the booth together. I can't believe the little girl he used to commentate on back in the late 90s is now sitting with him doing the same thing. Time just flies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Did he decide to leave on his own?
    I don't know.

I thought Tara was informative, but talked a little too much and too fast. Maybe it was because she was so excited about the skating. I remember her being better last season. so hopefully she'll be even better as the season goes on. And, yeah, Terry must have thought it was weird that this girl he used to comment on is now all grown up and in the booth with him.

vCash
    I've really liked Tanith as a commentator this time around.

She has some interesting things to say and was very informative.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast