Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash

Job Application Follow-Up

I know that there are many posters here from all over, so I thought this might be a good place to ask for advice about this beyond those I usually ask about job hunting questions.

I've mentioned several times that I've been looking for a job since finishing my PhD in late 2009. I've known since before I even sent the first grad school application off that I wanted to be in industry and not academia. Last week, I found a posting for a post-doc in industry that would be an excellent fit. I've done enough reading about this company and their current projects to know what specific project this would be. Between that and what's in the job description, if they're really going for what they're asking for, I should be a good candidate.

I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm debating if/when/how to follow-up. I'm trying to be more proactive in my job search, and this seems one way to go about that. My one previous follow-up, which was over one of the very, very few academic post-doc positions I've applied for, did not go well at all. Now, I'm feeling a little gun-shy and un-confident about contacting the hiring manager now that I've applied. I did try to call the day I found the position, and I was able to speak with someone else in HR. This person was very friendly, and told me that if the hiring manger for this position had been there that day, she would have transferred my call.

I do have a name, contact number, and e-mail address for the hiring manager. I've read/heard that most people seem to think this shows initiative, etc., but then, I've read articles, like this one http://jobsearch.about.com/od/howtof...sumefollow.htm, where there are quotes from various hiring managers saying that they don't like to be contacted for various reasons.

I feel like I read so much contradictory stuff about job hunting and strategy. It gets confusing after awhile because you really don't know what to do or how to make your next move. Article A says, do X, Y, Z, but never 1, 2, 3. Article B says never do X, Y, Z, but always be sure to do 1, 2, 3.

Another thing I keep going back and forth on is if I do decide to make contact, should I call or e-mail, and how long should I wait to do so?

Any thoughts? (And thanks for your help!)

vCash
    IMO, one follow up is a good idea, more than two and you might be viewed as a pest. While I'm not in your field, when hunting, I routinely followed up on the best leads with an email expressing how interesting the position sounded and why I thought I was a good fit. I always did it via email or postal mail. A call might be viewed negatively as the hiring manager may not be in the mood to talk about it when you call. With an email, s/he can respond at his/her convenience.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Thanks!

I applied for the position last Wednesday. Would you go ahead and send an e-mail now, or wait until two full weeks have gone by?

vCash
    A follow up email to verify that your application was received is fine - and certainly less annoying than a phone call.

With many companies having cut back on clerical help, sorting through resumes sometimes is not on top of the priority list. There is usually a week lag time to receive resumes and then a date set aside to review - based on my past experience working in HR. This varies from company to company and urgency of the position. Someone applying to be a receptionist may hear back immediately because the position needs to be filled ASAP. A managerial position may take a few months to fill, as there are usually several websites where the job is posted and more than one interview is required.

Also, double check the job posting for any closing date information. Many companies now put application deadlines or closing dates in their posting as a way to let applicants know they may not hear back until after that date.

Best of luck!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_gerbil View Post
    Thanks!

I applied for the position last Wednesday. Would you go ahead and send an e-mail now, or wait until two full weeks have gone by?
    Pekingmoo has it right. When I did follow ups, I waited about 2 weeks. I figured that was enough time for my resume to get to the hiring manager and for that person to create their no, maybe, and yes piles.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan