66 40.99%
  • Gorshkova/Butikov

7 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: GPF Dance

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    yes but performance not good. only rotational lifts and twizzle got level 4 in the FD. they can do much more than that.
    Of course they can. But, it's only the first GP event of the season. You don't want them peaking too early. The GP series is a chance for the skaters to get their programs out there in front of the judges and get feedback on what they need to do and what they're already doing right.

It would be stupid to count anyone out right now. Who knows what the skaters and their programs will look like in 3-4 months time when the really important competitions come around?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    OTOH, C/L, base score 30.0 : worst of the event, other than the Chinese.

and M/N base score 33.5
    what has happened to Anna and Luca???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    what has happened to Anna and Luca???
    their curve lift didn't count.

vCash
    I wonder whether they might be in 1000 depressions because F&S are still competing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    yes but performance not good. only rotational lifts and twizzle got level 4 in the FD. they can do much more than that.
    None of the teams achieved their levels. D&W only had four Level 4 elements. Both of the Shiibutani's footwork sequences were Level 2. W&P had three Level 4 elements and two Level 2 elements. All of the teams above them also have lots of room to increase their base scores.

This was a very strong debut for this team, but they are not at the same level technically as teams like D&W, V&M, or even Crone & Poirier were when they moved up to seniors. These teams have all skated together since they were children and it makes a huge difference to their ability when they arrive in seniors. They also started competing in Juniors the moment they were age eligible so they have a depth of experience in international. These teams have a kind of sixth sense in relation to their partners which comes both from never having skated with anyone else and from many years of skating in close proximity.

I&K are a stunning young team that needs time to both learn to be a team. They are way ahead of where you'd expect two skaters who have only been partnering for one full season of international competition. I hope people will allow them a year or two of developmental time before expecting them to challenge the top teams. IMO nothing destroys young skaters faster than expectations they cannot possible meet.

This team has the potential to be something very special indeed, but they need time, good coaching, good programs, good health and good luck. It is unwise to assume that all of these things are assured. So far so good. As a skating fan, it's all I can hope for.

YEAH!
    vCash
    ITA with DragonLady's post above.

Two words: Romaniuta/Barantsev

vCash
    So we're half way through the GP, so I figured I would revive this thread too see where we stand.

The top vote getters in order

1. D&W
    2. P&B
    3. F&S
    4. Kerrs
    5. C&L
    6. I&K
    7. C&P
    8. B&S
    9. Shibs

D&W were obvious. Kudos to the voters for pegging P&B as having a higher chance for making the GPF than F&S. C&P were majorly underestimated, which was obvious if you just looked at their assignments. C&L chances were the most overrated. B&S were slightly underestimated, while I&K were slightly overestimated. The Kerrs seem to be about right. Originally I dismissed the votes for the Shibs as just fan votes, but kudos to those voters as the Shibs have an outside shot of making it. No one talked about Weaver and Poje, but with a 2nd place they are in the running.

The biggest upset in the making that no one seems to be talking about is Chock and Zuerlin. It actually seems unfair how competitive Russia is going to be while C&Z could win silver at TEB and qualify for the GPF becuase of such a weak field. The Kerrs, F&S, B&S, and I&K all should make the final over C&Z, but one or two of them could be left out becuase of the disparity in the fields. It would be great if they could send one of the Russians to TEB. I can't believe I'm actually rooting for Carryawn and Jonezzzzzzzzz at TEB now just to keep C&Z from qualifying.

RIAZANOVA /TKACHENKO are the great unknowns at this point. They beat the Shibs by ten points at Nebelhorn, but that's partially becuase the Shibs had a disastrous SD. The Shibs actually beat R&T in the FD. But medals at SA and TEB for R&T are a possibility.

At this point D&W, P&B, and C&P are going to make it barring absolute disaster. After that it's kind of a clusterf*ck between like 8 teams. I'm bad at crunching the numbers, but it seems who gets bronze at skate America, the placements of the top 4 at Russia, and what happens with second place at TEB are going to be deciders.

Oh and lolz at the Gorshkova/Butikov votes.

vCash
    Who knew G&B would have one of the lousiest programs of all times for an FD when they voted?

However, I don't think C&Z are all that ridiculous. Last year was a sort of lost season for them, as it was for the Shibs...and no wonder with their coaches absorbed with having the 2 of the leading contenders for Olympic gold to deal with. and a number of other teams that had to qualify for Olympics, while neither C&Z nor Shibs had any shot at making the world team.

This year, both teams have put their best foot forward, and won a bronze in their first event. Both teams will likely make it to worlds too, with S&B out.

OTOH Carron / Jones have the second lousiest FD of the season, skating a flamenco in ridiculous outfits with silly twin bolero jackets to a muzak version of a Rolling Stones medley. There is a reason that C&Z beat them at SC. That FD would be it. Caberet isn't high art, but C&Z at least weren't ridiculous.

vCash
    I haven't been able make it all the way through C&Z's FD yet despite several tries, so maybe you're right.

vCash
    As someone who voted for C&P on the first go-round, I'm surprised they haven't picked up more votes after winning Skate Canada.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    As someone who voted for C&P on the first go-round, I'm surprised they haven't picked up more votes after winning Skate Canada.
    ITA.........I think they will qualify unless something drastic happens I'm hoping.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I think that's cause everyone has already used up their votes

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345