66 40.99%
  • Gorshkova/Butikov

7 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: GPF Dance

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    Sure. But being excited about their Senior debut does not automatically make one delusional. People react to big talent- Sasha had it, so do I/K. Nobody knows if they are going to make it, but it's a fun thing to look forward to. Of course life is littered with Great Hopes gone bad, we can only wish them to stay healthy and not to burn out.
    One of the my greatest pleasure as a skating fan was falling in love with two children who were Canadian Novice Ice Dance Champions and watching them grow up on the ice to go on and become Olympic Gold Medalists and World Champions so I understand the excitement. Throughout this incredible journey, I was careful to keep my expectations low, so as not to be disappointed, and to enjoy watching them progress.

In their first season, I thought they might be able to sneak into the top 10 at Worlds. They were 6th. In their second season, I thought they could contend for a medal, but 4th was likely. They were 2nd. The year of Tessa's surgery, I expected nothing for them. They were 3rd.

The only time I went out on a limb in regards to V&M was predicting they would win the OGM AFTER seeing the debut of their LP at Thornhill. But everyone who was in the building that day was essentially saying the same thing, so I was hardly alone.

I strongly believe that is it better to be pleasantly surprised at how well things are going than disappointed that my expectations haven't been met. Going back to my example of Sasha Cohen: a lot of people are disappointed she didn't do more. Being a World and Olympic silver medalist, and US Champion were great achievements, but those accomplishments pale when you look at all that was expected/predicted for her: OGM, multiple World Championships, first woman to land a quad.

It's hard to enjoy the journey if your skater/team fall short of the destination.

vCash
    Very well said, Dragonlady! I am agree with most of it. So does this mean you actually like I/K that much?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pumba View Post
    Very well said, Dragonlady! I am agree with most of it. So does this mean you actually like I/K that much?
    Oh yes. I am really looking forward to seeing these two progress but I'm keeping my expectations low and see how it goes. At this point, if they win a medal of any colour in either of their GP events, I'll be thrilled for them. I also admit to being very fond of Bobrova & Soloviev as well and I'm surprised they haven't risen higher since I first saw them at Skate Canada in 2007.

My problem is I like too many skaters and I don't care where they come from. When they all show up at the same competition, I sometimes don't know who I want to win, although in ice-dance, it's always Tessa & Scott.

Last season at Canadians, it was very difficult for me. I so wanted Crone & Poirier to go to the Olympics. In 2006 I sat at Nationals and said "If we take up a collection, can we buy Andrew Poje a partner who can keep up with him?", so how can I not cheer for Andrew now that he has that special partner? In the end I was cheering for Paul and Vanessa, but I felt guilty about not cheering for Andrew and Kaitlyn.

I'm viewing Tessa's surgery this season as an opportunity for D&W to win Worlds. Cause I like them too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Oh yes. I am really looking forward to seeing these two progress but I'm keeping my expectations low and see how it goes. At this point, if they win a medal of any colour in either of their GP events, I'll be thrilled for them. I also admit to being very fond of Bobrova & Soloviev as well and I'm surprised they haven't risen higher since I first saw them at Skate Canada in 2007.
    Oh I agree with this. If you see my first post in this thread, I'm actually surprised that so many people think they'll make the GPF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Oh I agree with this. If you see my first post in this thread, I'm actually surprised that so many people think they'll make the GPF.
    Word. I agree too, and also like skaters based on personal preference, regardless of nationality or even winning potential.
    ... which does not prevent me from being excited and curious about how it all plays out
    Last edited by dinakt; 10-15-2010 at 11:24 PM.

vCash
    oleada and dinakt...are you guys talking about I/K or Bobrova/Soloviev making the GPF?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady
    It's hard to enjoy the journey if your skater/team fall short of the destination.
    Well, I kind of agree with this but then again sometimes you just like a skater/team that you know will never be on the podium but they just have that something special and you do enjoy the journey. I loved Bourne/Kraatz and enjoyed their world medals...their 4th place finishes in the Olympics was hard but it didn't make me love them any less. I still very much enjoyed the journey with them.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    I am talking about I/K

vCash
    I'm reading a LOT of posts which said they were going to win Olympic Gold in Socchi starting the moment they won Jr. Worlds. When people said that Virtue & Moir were going to win gold in Vancouver the year they won Jr. Worlds, I thought people were out of their minds. They would be too young.
    So you were wrong on V&M for 4 years later which you admit so you could well be wrong on I&K too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    So you were wrong on V&M for 4 years later which you admit so you could well be wrong on I&K too.
    My expectations for them were always high. And they have always exceeded them. This is so much better than being a fan of a skater who melts down and falls apart, and still you love to watch them.

How many North American ice-dance teams have finished in the Top 10 at their first Senior Worlds? How many North American teams have won a medal in their second senior year? I expected that, if they stayed together and continued to progress, Virtue & Moir had the potential to win Worlds. And even if they didn't, I didn't care, I just loved to watch them skate.

And when I said that I thought they could make top 10 first year, people told me I was out of my mind. They'd finish 12th or thereabouts like every other Jr. World Champion team. People would post lists of skaters they couldn't possibly beat. This of course allowed me to do a little "Told ya so" dance in front of my computer after the results came up.

Yes, I&K could exceed my expectations. I would rather be happily shocked to have them make the GPF than disappointed if they didn't. I don't think the pressure of unrealistic expectations is particularly good for any skaters.

vCash
    I'm viewing Tessa's surgery this season as an opportunity for D&W to win Worlds. Cause I like them too.
    Well, D&W might have won anyway (they won the TES at this past year's Worlds), but this situation is certainly boosting their chances.

vCash
    One of the my greatest pleasure as a skating fan was falling in love with two children who were Canadian Novice Ice Dance Champions and watching them grow up on the ice to go on and become Olympic Gold Medalists and World Champions so I understand the excitement.
    Do you mean Jr champions? V&M never won the Cdn Novice title.

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn_girl View Post
    And it's sad Maybe I'm the only one, but for me good posture and clean lines are the most important in ice dancing
    It's a big pet peeve of mine, too! Ladies can get away with it in singles, but I have a big obsession with this in ice dancers. I think Vanessa can fix this soon enough though..if they can improve their skating as much as they did last season I think this should not be a problem. I think both skaters can do better in presentation however. Paul is an excellent single skater, but methinks his maturity could develop a tad more. I predict they will win Skate canada.
    As much as I too would like to see I/K kick some arse I think their having to catch up technically, would leave them a bit behind this season (like Mao). Not exactly fond of B/S and don't predict they will make the GPF, but won't be surprised if they do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Do you mean Jr champions? V&M never won the Cdn Novice title.
    I thought they had. I remember seeing them on the broadcast for the Jr. Canadians Championships when they were very small and they only show the Champions below Junior, not the other medalists.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Socchi
    Oh, please. http://sochi2014.com/en/

vCash
    Well, one event down and both C&L and I&K now have no and little hope of making the GPF respectively. I&K would have to win their next event to have a glimmer of hope. I don't see that happening.

Those thinking they should have the same career trajectory as V&M or D&W forget that these two teams both skated together for 10 years before they hit the senior circuit, and they spent three years together on the Junior circuit before getting to seniors. I&K are in their second season of international competition.

4th at your first senior GP is a very good result.

vCash
    Last time I checked V&M and D&W did not make the GPF in their first year as seniors
    V&M: 2nd at SC and 4th at TEB
    D&W: 4th at SC and 4th at NHK

vCash
    Absolutely. 4th is a great start for a senior debut.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    It really is.

Now maybe some people will lower their expectations a bit.

This is their first senior season and only 2nd real full season of competing. They're doing pretty damn well for a team that doesn't have the experience of most of the others they'll be competing against (esp. those who have been together for years and years).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    yes but performance not good. only rotational lifts and twizzle got level 4 in the FD. they can do much more than that.

Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI
    Base Value 37.00, tecnical score 42.67 (GOE=5.67)
    Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE
    Base Value 35.50, tecnical score 40.34 (GOE=4.84)
    Elena ILINYKH / Nikita KATSALAPOV
    Base Value 32.00, tecnical score 36.85 (GOE=4.85)

and

Dora TUROCZI / Balazs MAJOR
    Base Value 32.00

vCash
    OTOH, C/L, base score 30.0 : worst of the event, other than the Chinese.

and M/N base score 33.5

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast