Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by invierno View Post
    And that trophy is... well.... it seems to make a nice vase.
    I thought so too

vCash
    What an honor for Yu-Na - and they all look gorgeous!

Is Michelle taking this semester off? She seems like she's been doing a lot lately.

vCash
    Life Skate article

http://www.lifeskate.com/skate/2010/...-the-year.html

Figure skater, Yuna Kim received the Sportswoman of the Year Award for individual sport athletes. At the Ladies’ Singles event at the Trophée Eric Bompard event in Paris, Kim became the first woman to have a combined final score of over 210 points and finishing 36.04 points ahead of her closest competitor. Kim has set two world records and in February 2010, she won the gold medal at the Vancouver Olympic Winter Games in the Ladies’ Singles event, making her the first Korean to medal at an Olympic Winter Games. Kim is currently ranked No.1 by the International Skating Union.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Congrats Yuna

Hope you get ready for this season and too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post
    What an honor for Yu-Na - and they all look gorgeous!

Is Michelle taking this semester off? She seems like she's been doing a lot lately.

Popping down to NYC for an award evening isn't too challenging from the Boston area, and while she had a lot of prep for ATS LA, it sounded like she did most of it right from Mass. I doubt she could manage eligible competitions while she's in a program like the one at Tufts, but I can't think of anything we've heard about this fall that is incompatible with school.

vCash
    Congrats Yuna!!! ^^

vCash
    Wow, what an honor for Yuna! She looks beautiful in all the pictures!

vCash
    Yu-Na and Michelle both look gorgeous. Sarah looks good too ... she, though, struck me as much changed since her skating days. Congrats to Yu-Na, also!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Yu Na Kim sort of looks like Sandra Oh in that dress and hairstyle. All 3 ladies looked fabulous!
    Yuna is way more attractive than Sandra Oh. And this is coming from a Sandra Oh and Grey's Anatomy fan.

Congratulations Yuna!

vCash
    Congratulations!! Yuna.
    She is just fantastic.

vCash
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    To be honest, I'm not really sure that Yu-Na should have won this award, and I plan on being killed for saying that. I think the accomplishments of some of the other women were much more significant in context. I know, I know, I'm a sour puss. (I'm not a Mao fan BTW.) Congratulations to Yu-Na nonetheless. It's great to see figure skating represented.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by azskatefan View Post
    To be honest, I'm not really sure that Yu-Na should have won this award, and I plan on being killed for saying that. I think the accomplishments of some of the other women were much more significant in context. I know, I know, I'm a sour puss. (I'm not a Mao fan BTW.) Congratulations to Yu-Na nonetheless. It's great to see figure skating represented.
    Easy! That's life. And there're thousands of sport women who were not nominated ever but achieved great works.

Back on the topic. English article from "Official Website of Chinese Olympic Committee"

"For me, this isn't just any award. As a figure skater, I am glad for this opportunity to bring more attention to the sport of figure skating so that more girls become interested and become inspired to participate in the sport," Kim said in an acceptance speech in New York, according to her agent AT sport in Seoul.

"Through this award, I hope I can play a small part so that everyone can enjoy sports and live their life to the fullest," she said.
    Classy?
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    congratulations, yu-na for winning the award, it is a great honor.

sarah -nice dress, looks great on you.
    in fact all three ladies look good.

vCash
    Congratulations!! Yuna.

vCash
    Never realized what large heads Sarah and Michelle have. They all do look great, but I like the length of Yu-na's dress best. OT Did Sarah ever find a job?

vCash
    Congrats to Yuna on this award -- nice to see another figure skater added to the list of honorees. Michelle, Yuna and Sarah all look nice -- Michelle looks radiant and I like Yuna's shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Popping down to NYC for an award evening isn't too challenging from the Boston area, and while she had a lot of prep for ATS LA, it sounded like she did most of it right from Mass. I doubt she could manage eligible competitions while she's in a program like the one at Tufts, but I can't think of anything we've heard about this fall that is incompatible with school.
    Michelle has kept rather busy this fall, but she likely has managed her schedule to avoid unworkable conflicts with her degree program. According to this IceNetwork article, she's back in Boston now.
    After tonight's WSF gala, Kwan will head back to Boston and direct her energies into writing her master's thesis. "I personally just adore school," she says. "I wish the [two-year] program was longer -- not a lot longer, but a bit longer."

She's "flirting" with the idea of pursuing a doctorate, but will take her time to decide. "I will keep all doors open like I've done the last few years," Kwan says.

vCash
    Yu-Na's acceptance speech:
    (source: allkpop - SEARIMS)

Kim accepted the prestigious award and gave her acceptance speech stating, “It’s a great honor for me to receive the Sportswoman of the Year award and I would like to express my sincere gratitude [to the federation]. For me, this is not just any award and brings forth much meaning. As a figure skater, I would very much hope for this award to launch opportunities for young girls to enter the world of figure skating and enjoy the sport”.

Kim continued, by expressing, “In spite of everything, there still remains many countries around the world that discourage women from actively participating in sports and fitness due to the prevailing social norm that emphasizes the notion of femininity. However, I strongly believe that it’s time for us to break away from such social conventions. Sports not only helps develop the physical body for both men and women, it also helps and enhances the development of one’s mental capabilities to think more extensively and thoroughly. Through sports, not only do we learn the spirit of sportsmanship and fair play; we also learn how to respect the rules and learn to develop sincere friendship between athletes. I believe that this knowledge should not just remain as attainments by athletes but should also serve as virtues maintained by every person.”

Kim concluded her acceptance speech, saying “By accepting this award, I hope I have at least become a small driving force for people to enjoy and live a dynamic lifestyle through sports. Lastly, I would like to express my utmost appreciation to my family and friends who always been a pillar of strength by my side. Thank you.”

As 2010’s sportswoman of the year, Kim is the first Asian and the 3rd non-American athlete to win this prestigious award, further adding significance to this coveted accomplishment.

Congrats to Yuna on her much deserved award i cant think of any other figure skater who has given this much positive exposure to figure skating since Michelle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euneri View Post
    Yu-Na's acceptance speech:
    That's very nicely said~ Thanks for posting this

And does anyone know what brand Yuna's burgundy dress is?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by meteor16 View Post
    That's very nicely said~ Thanks for posting this

And does anyone know what brand Yuna's burgundy dress is?
    Amsale.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast