Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I can think of a few people that should have that played at their funerals, and it would be if I were allowed to choose. But why would someone choose it herself? Humor or true self-awareness???

The woman has a wicked sense of humor!
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    I want "I Can Only Imagine" and "Fly to Jesus (the untitled song)". I guess I should write this down somewhere.
    I love, love the untitled hymn/song whatever. Makes me cry every time I hear it
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    Am I the only one who finds this thread seriously creepy, esp since the OP still has his mother & apparently she's not even sick. Why would you think about what to play at your well mother's funeral?

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Am I the only one who finds this thread seriously creepy, esp since the OP still has his mother & apparently she's not even sick. Why would you think about what to play at your well mother's funeral?
    Not really. I think it is fine to prepare. I wish I had had more say in my mother's funeral.

I do find the title odd. Every time I see it, I want to answer Hopscotch or Bridge. Playing at a funeral could make it much more fun.

vCash
    My parents didn't mention anything about their funerals beforehand. I haven't considered what I'd like at mine either. But I talk to people every week who are trying to make things easier on their spouses should they go first, (with finances and procedures), which I heartily agree with. Everything done before makes things easier after, so why not pick things out? It's the only time I've ever got to actually pick the music for anything - so that was cool in a way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    My mom wants "I believe in Love" by Don Williams.
    Based on that, I think your mom rocks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    I love, love the untitled hymn/song whatever. Makes me cry every time I hear it
    "I Can Only Imagine" does that to me to. I've had to pull over my car.... The hospital chaplain and I sang the chorus of "Fly..." when my dad was taken off of life support. I failed a Gold dance while he was in the hospital. After he passed, I passed my last Gold dance for my Gold medal and prayed to "dance for Jesus". I publicly thanked them both in the lobby of the ice rink.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    A woman I work with (and I am not kidding) has actually put it in writing and had it notarized so that her daughter goes thru with it.

She wants "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" played at her funeral!!

I like that! My almost-70 buddy and I talked about this. He says he doesn't want any "dirge music" played for him - only jazz, classic R&B and soul. He wants to be celebrated, not mourned.

vCash
    I'd want the following songs sung at my funeral:

Soon and Very Soon
    In Paradisium from Faure's Requiem
    To Reign in Jerusalem (an old spiritual)

vCash
    For me, it would be "To Where You Are". I know that some people feel that Josh Groban is kind of cheesy, but this song says so much. My Mom is still here (thankfully), but I lost my Dad two years ago and this song makes me feel like he's with me.

vCash
    I want Time to Say Goodbye and Amazing Grace and I Was There to Hear Your Borning Cry sung at my funeral, hopefully sung by my cousins who have absolutely wonderful voices.

My best friend wants Happy Trails to You sung at the end of the funeral service. And wants an ice cream sundae bar at the funeral luncheon. And wants everyone to have a hot fudge sundae in her honor.

My mom and dad said - whatever you want done and your pastor can do the service (I am the only one of my sibs who attends church regularly).

vCash
    Based on the number of relatives who didn't get the send off they wanted, no. The only way to get what you want is to decide, write it down, and make sure your survivors know where you're wishes are kept. I think it makes perfect sense to discuss this when everyone's fairly healthy.

An uncle wanted a church funeral followed by a party... I mean a PARTY! He had an envelope marked final instructions with the venue, music, partial guest list, and a filled in withdrawal slip for his son and daughters to take the money from one of his accounts. It was a blast. Great music from the 40s and 50s, plenty of food and drink. Just what he wanted.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    At my mother's memorial service, we palyed mostly my mom's favorites: Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, and other Jazz/Blues women of her day. We put in some beautiful Eva Cassidy for good measure.
    Many people commented that it was a "Rightious ceremony".
    Her only grandchild read an excerpt from her favorite book, Alice in Wonderland.

I know I want my faves played at my service. I think about it often, and I'm not dying...yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Her only grandchild read an excerpt from her favorite book, Alice in Wonderland.
    oooh I like this idea - as you can tell by my location and signature, I love Alice in Wonderland.

vCash
    I think of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and "Moon River". Those songs speak of the magnificence of life, age and youth, everything we know and don't know, the beauty around us in people and nature, the meaning of love and loved ones. I want those songs, so maybe my inexpressibly darling mother would too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    "I Can Only Imagine" does that to me to. I've had to pull over my car.... The hospital chaplain and I sang the chorus of "Fly..." when my dad was taken off of life support. I failed a Gold dance while he was in the hospital. After he passed, I passed my last Gold dance for my Gold medal and prayed to "dance for Jesus". I publicly thanked them both in the lobby of the ice rink.
    (((skatemommy))) awww.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post

I like that! My almost-70 buddy and I talked about this. He says he doesn't want any "dirge music" played for him - only jazz, classic R&B and soul. He wants to be celebrated, not mourned.
    My mom and I were watching Ted Kennedy's funeral on TV. After Yoyoma finished playing, my mom turned to me and said, "I do not want dirge music at my funeral--only happy Methodist music!"

My dad died 15 years ago. I still cannot sing Amazing Grace without getting teary. Our good friend (and retired pastor) sang and his wife played the organ. Every verse she'd go up a half step.

My one sister has always said she wants "In the Garden"

Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I want Time to Say Goodbye and Amazing Grace and I Was There to Hear Your Borning Cry sung at my funeral, hopefully sung by my cousins who have absolutely wonderful voices.

My best friend wants Happy Trails to You sung at the end of the funeral service. And wants an ice cream sundae bar at the funeral luncheon. And wants everyone to have a hot fudge sundae in her honor.

My mom and dad said - whatever you want done and your pastor can do the service (I am the only one of my sibs who attends church regularly).
    I love Borning Cry--our bell choir has a beautful version.

Speaking of Happy Trails, there was a guy from our church who had been very active in Boy Scouts. He was cremated and at the memorial service, his ashes were in a Trails End popcorn tin--his wishes!!
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    My mom, who died of congestive heart failure, was hospitalized for a week before, and repeatedly asked for a poem she had known as a child, called "The End of a Perfect Day." One of her friends found it for her, and read it at her memorial service. It was actually a song by Carrie Jacobs-Bond. My mom had a very hard life, growing up impoverished on an Illinois farm, and suffering chronic illness and near-poverty most of her adult life, so it came as a real surprise, and a gift, to me, that this is how she viewed her life.

A PERFECT DAY

When you come to the end of a perfect day,
    And you sit alone with your thought,
    While the chimes ring out with a carol gay
    For the joy that the day has brought,
    Do you think what the end of a perfect day
    Can mean to a tired heart,
    When the sun goes down with a flaming ray,
    And the dear friends have to part?

Well, this is the end of a perfect day,
    Near the end of a journey, too;
    But it leaves a thought that is big and strong,
    With a wish that is kind and true.
    For mem'ry has painted this perfect day
    With colors that never fade,
    And we find at the end of a perfect day
    The soul of a friend we've made.

vCash
    My choices are the Shaker hymn, Tis the Gift to be Simple. Also Lord of the Dance.
    If I got to choose a third, (and why not?) it would be These are My Mountains. And a fourth would be the Dutch Hymn of Thanksgiving "We gather together".

Not Amazing Grace. It's a beautiful hymn but it is so connected with funerals that it is hard to listen to without crying. I used to belong to a Highland Dance group and the piper played that before the annual recital. Well, bad idea. The whole audience would be sniveling before the kids began to dance. Hence, Lord of the Dance for me!

I told my mother about my choices and she said she would like the same selections. Haven't had to put that into practise yet, and Mom is 96!

vCash
    Sorry if you feel this way, that was not my intention. Us kids can get emotional at times.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast