View Poll Results: Who will medal?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dianne Szmiett

    1 0.52%
  • Kiira Korpi

    63 32.47%
  • Lena Marrocco

    2 1.03%
  • Elene Gedevanishvili

    4 2.06%
  • Jenna McCorkell

    1 0.52%
  • Carolina Costner

    47 24.23%
  • Mao Asada

    165 85.05%
  • Kanako Murakami

    53 27.32%
  • Viktoria Helgesson

    1 0.52%
  • Rachael Flatt

    94 48.45%
  • Ashley Wagner

    79 40.72%
  • Caroline Zhang

    15 7.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 67
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I posted my predictions over in the NHK prediction thread. There, you pick the top 6. My logic is that despite one bad performance at the Japan Open, it's still Mao’s to lose. The European ladies have been not been doing well for a few years, despite a few medals here and there.
    Caroline is usually top U.S. lady in ISU competition, whatever may happen at Nationals. She already has 3 GP medals, so I figure she can medal doing nothing more than recovering from her injuries. She and Ashley have reportedly been working hard on various aspects of their skating. Rachael has been weak this summer.

    1. Mao ASADA
    2. Caroline ZHANG
    3. Ashley WAGNER
    4. Rachael FLATT
    5. Carolina KOSTNER
    6. Kanako MURAKAMI

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    I posted my predictions over in the NHK prediction thread. There, you pick the top 6. My logic is that despite one bad performance at the Japan Open, it's still Mao’s to lose. The European ladies have been not been doing well for a few years, despite a few medals here and there.
    Caroline is usually top U.S. lady in ISU competition, whatever may happen at Nationals. She already has 3 GP medals, so I figure she can medal doing nothing more than recovering from her injuries. She and Ashley have reportedly been working hard on various aspects of their skating. Rachael has been weak this summer.

    1. Mao ASADA
    2. Caroline ZHANG
    3. Ashley WAGNER
    4. Rachael FLATT
    5. Carolina KOSTNER
    6. Kanako MURAKAMI
    Kanako 6th on home ice is just not going to happen. I bet she places above Flatt, Wagner, and Zhang, and that none of the US ladies medal. Mao and Kanako will be on the podium along with a Euro lady, likely either Kostner or Korpi.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Deep in a Dream
    Posts
    7,569
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20067
    Caroline is usually top U.S. lady in ISU competition, whatever may happen at Nationals...
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I still say it's crazy to assume she'll beat Kanako, who is so dearly loved by the JSF and can skate circles around Caroline.

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I still say it's crazy to assume she'll beat Kanako, who is so dearly loved by the JSF and can skate circles around Caroline.
    The JSF is not judging this event.

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    806
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Kanako is pretty consistent and as someone who swept the junior circuit last year, she has more favor from the ISU judges than many of the American skaters skating at this event. I think she is definitely a contender for at least a podium spot. Where she would place will depend on how Mao and the European ladies do.

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    The JSF is not judging this event.
    So? It's still in Japan. And she's junior world champ and a very good skater.

  8. #48

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,644
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    Kanako Murakami skated a strong SP (65.62) but only landed 3 triples in her FS (98.46) at Chubu Regionals earlier this month. She reportedly withdrew from Nebelhorn Trophy due to a boot problem.

    Rachael Flatt had a rough SP (46.18) but a very good FS (117.21, 7 triples landed) at her 2nd of 2 summer competitions, Colorado Springs Invitational, last month.

    Who knows what will happen next week?

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Where banjos play.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    8,070
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I chose Mao, Rachael, and Ashley. Possibly Carolina for the 3rd spot instead.

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    FSU Witness Protection Program
    Age
    26
    Posts
    28,062
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34762
    Video of Kanako's SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zldnLK2b2g0&translated=1
    She landed 3T+3T, 2A and 3F.

    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Kanako is pretty consistent and as someone who swept the junior circuit last year, she has more favor from the ISU judges than many of the American skaters skating at this event. I think she is definitely a contender for at least a podium spot. Where she would place will depend on how Mao and the European ladies do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    The JSF is not judging this event.
    The JSF might not be judging, but judges of any nation tend to like skaters with great basics, effortless speed, musicality, charisma and expression - all of which Kanako has in spades, and Caroline and Rachael do not. I don't know what will happen, but if Kanako skates as well as she is capable of (and she's reportedly trying a 3F+3T in the LP this year), I think she'll be on the podium, making a big statement.

  11. #51
    Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near St Louis
    Posts
    16,066
    vCash
    24000
    Rep Power
    37422
    Kanako's a very quick skater with lovely edges. Her presentation is nice but not exceptional at this point. I'm not sure if she has a 3 loop, and her lutz is not the stongest of her jumps. But the 3 sal/2 loop/2 loop combo she did at junior worlds was incredible. No one should underestimate how she could factor into this field.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

  12. #52

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    FSU Witness Protection Program
    Age
    26
    Posts
    28,062
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34762
    peibeck, it looks like she'll be attempting a solo 3Lo in the LP, based on what was posted in the Japan national competitions thread in the K&C. However, she popped it to a single in this competition (along with several other jumps).

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    365
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Maybe not as blatant as Skate Canada though, home favoritism is quite common at NHK trophy. And it's in Nagoya, not just Japan. I think GBR and CAN will be Japan's close allies in this event. That's one reason of inviting skaters from the alternate lists. As always there are majority European judges (six). They wouldn't want two Americans on the podium.

    Since 2004, all Japanese ladies (except Shoko Ishikawa) have won NHK trophy medals at their first appearances. (Ando 2004, Nakano 2005, Asada 2006, Takeda 2007, Suzuki 2008). Murakami will win a medal by this rule.
    Last edited by NMURA; 10-14-2010 at 07:17 PM.

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    987
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Video of Kanako's SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zldnLK2b2g0&translated=1
    She landed 3T+3T, 2A and 3F.
    I had a better impression of her last season. Here she has abhorrent choreography, and that kick into the flip is not a pretty sight. The baby doll costume has got to go, too. Her performance quality reminds me of Mirai's before she went to Frank in that it's overly cutesy and juvenile - this was the main reason why I couldn't warm up to Mirai when she was with Charlene, so I hope Kanako gets that sorted out. It's strange because I think she actually looks older in the face than even Mao (I don't know if it's due to her make-up or whatever), and yet her juniorish choreography totally plays against her facial appearance.

    Minor gripes aside, ITA that she has better scoring potential than Caroline and Kiira (and possibly Rachael and Ashley, too, if they're both in an early season funk).

  15. #55
    Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near St Louis
    Posts
    16,066
    vCash
    24000
    Rep Power
    37422
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    peibeck, it looks like she'll be attempting a solo 3Lo in the LP, based on what was posted in the Japan national competitions thread in the K&C. However, she popped it to a single in this competition (along with several other jumps).
    Good to know she is adding it to the free program this season, thanks oleada!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    I had a better impression of her last season. Here she has abhorrent choreography, and that kick into the flip is not a pretty sight. The baby doll costume has got to go, too. Her performance quality reminds me of Mirai's before she went to Frank in that it's overly cutesy and juvenile - this was the main reason why I couldn't warm up to Mirai when she was with Charlene, so I hope Kanako gets that sorted out. It's strange because I think she actually looks older in the face than even Mao (I don't know if it's due to her make-up or whatever), and yet her juniorish choreography totally plays against her facial appearance.

    Minor gripes aside, ITA that she has better scoring potential than Caroline and Kiira (and possibly Rachael and Ashley, too, if they're both in an early season funk).
    Cutesy works for Kanako, she's little and cute and good at skating to upbeat music, so I find no problem with her new program/costume. I was actually noticing how much taller and more mature she looks in that video, looks like she's grown a good few inches since last season.

  17. #57

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    26
    Posts
    9,000
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1017
    Kanako has some serious technical issues of her own (flutz, high kick into Lutz and flip, and some nervous UR tendencies). She's definitely going to be a podium threat here, but I don't think she's a lock to medal. There are lots of talented (and inconsistent) girls fighting for medals here.

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    426
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Kanako has some serious technical issues of her own (flutz, high kick into Lutz and flip, and some nervous UR tendencies). She's definitely going to be a podium threat here, but I don't think she's a lock to medal. There are lots of talented (and inconsistent) girls fighting for medals here.
    It's not like other girls are perfect. All of them have their issues. Kanako is not the only one with the flutz and URs (though she usually gets less URs than Ashley, for example), she is more consistent than US girls except maybe Flatt, and more consistent than Kostner and Korpi. And she will skate at home, I think it's an advantage for her

  19. #59

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    26
    Posts
    9,000
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1017
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn_girl View Post
    It's not like other girls are perfect.
    When did I say this? I realize that the other ladies have their own flaws too, but some posters here are making it seem like Kanako is going to simply waltz in and take a medal unchallenged. I don't think it will be that easy for her, though I do think she has a good chance at a medal.

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    365
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    No one says "unchallenged", but I believe Murakami is in the position "to be challenged" in this field. Her flaws will be overlooked this time as a home advantage, but not for the Americans. That's my reasoning.

    ETA
    Murakami is extremely consistent in the SP. She hasn't made any visible errors in past 8 or 9 competitions. Her 3-3 is now becoming perfect. I think no American can beat her in the SP. That will help her in the FS, especially in PCS.
    Last edited by NMURA; 10-15-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •