Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Ooh! Thought of another one: "should of" instead of "should have"

-Bridget

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less" always makes me as it's so obviously saying the exact opposite of what you mean. Thankfully, I've never actually heard it said, and have only read it on message boards.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Saying someone is "more pretty" or "more happy" is a perfectly acceptable alternative to "prettier" or "happier". Often it gives more elegance to a sentence (though I'm not saying that's necessarily the case in the example you cite).
    Are you sure? Because the way I was taught, and the way I was taught to teach, 2 syllable words ending with 'y' always have an 'ier' and 'iest' ending. "More happy", to me, sounds totally incorrect...but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    Now, now, everyone. Don't loose it.

(That one makes me want to scream! It's all over the place, too, like some sort of viral mutant typo.)

Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less" always makes me as it's so obviously saying the exact opposite of what you mean. Thankfully, I've never actually heard it said, and have only read it on message boards.
    Me too! It doesn't make any sense. It makes me wonder...if you could care less, then why don't you?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Pacifically....
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    "Expecially"... a lot of people pronounce "especially" this way and it drives me batty!

Spelling "definitely" as "defiantly", that one always gets under my skin.

-Bridget

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John 3 17 View Post
    Ooh! Thought of another one: "should of" instead of "should have"

-Bridget
    And "could of" and "would of" and just using "of" in place of "have" in any context.

I spent half my English teaching career on the following issues:

1. "Of" is never a verb.

2. Apostrophes are used for possessives and contractions. They are not used to make a word plural.

3. I do not know what "in the begging" means. The word is "beginning".

4. Use commas. Please.

But I still always read stuff like this:

"Hamlet could of made a different choice in the begging but he didnt of the gut's."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Oh, that's another thing my boss does when writing papers. It can be complicated, because we're often referring to experiment methodology done in the past, but at the same time, we're also referring to results from those experiments that are presently true.
    "Presently" means in the near future. You're also referring to results from those experiements that are currently true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    "Hamlet could of made a different choice in the begging but he didnt of the gut's."
    "I use to make mistakes like those before I studied grammar."

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Oh, what great timing! I was just musing about a grammar peeves post because of yet another encounter with the dreaded "I could care less." Yesterday's instance was with a client, so I had to bite back my usual reply of "Really? How much less?"

As much as that one bugs me, though, I think my least favourite misused word is "literally." There's just no excuse for it. The only time you're allowed to say "it is literally raining cats and dogs" is if you're having a really busy day at the animal shelter.

"Verbing" bothers me less, as my advancing years have granted me the serenity to accept that language does evolve, and many verbs we take for granted were once lowly nouns. I was good enough for Shakespeare. Plus verbing can be fun.

I do have specific verb usage peeves, though, mostly related to media buzz-terms. For example, not really verbing but ... I figure if you're going to use "grow" as a transitive verb, you'd better be talking about vegetables. It's bad enough hearing about promises to "grow your investment," but when I heard about Vancouver's strategy to "grow cycling" in the city, I screamed at the radio. Literally.
    Last edited by Artemis@BC; 10-13-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    "Presently" means in the near future. You're also referring to results from those experiements that are currently true.
    What about stuff that we posture is currently AND presently true? We want to give our work some credit here!

vCash
    No one has mentioned my absolute "favorite" grammatical error: "anyways". NO, NO, NO!!!! There is no "s" in the word "anyway". Same is true for "all". Or the new one I keep hearing, "welp", used in place of "well". As in "Welp, I'm off for the grocery store!". Why are you addressing newborn puppies? (Yes, I know that's "whelp", but still...)

My Business English instructor would give us extra credit points for bringing in typos from the newspaper. The best one ever was from a story about two semis that ran into a garbage truck. The line was supposed to read "The semis hit a garbage truck". It was given an entirely different meaning by the typist who entered "The semi shit a garbage truck". Proofreading pays!

vCash
    More on verbing, from two authoritative sources:

Bucky

Calvin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    More on verbing, from two authoritative sources:

Bucky

Calvin

awwwwwww I love Calvin & Hobbes!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nora_Charles View Post
    ... The best one ever was from a story about two semis that ran into a garbage truck. The line was supposed to read "The semis hit a garbage truck". It was given an entirely different meaning by the typist who entered "The semi shit a garbage truck". Proofreading pays!
    I saw a related one in a document I was editing: what was supposed to be "agricultural farm labour pool" was instead "agricultural farm labour poo."

Unfortunately, though, proofreading does not really pay. Not that much, anyway. If it were better paying, perhaps we'd see fewer mistakes in the newspapers.

Oh, hey, there's another peeve of mine: fewer vs. less. Is it really so hard to get that one right?

vCash
    Unfortunately, though, proofreading does not really pay. Not that much, anyway. If it were better paying, perhaps we'd see fewer mistakes in the newspapers.

vCash
    I doubt it -- newspapers are cutting expenses to the bone and copy editors may go the way of the Linotype.
    Oh, hey, there's another peeve of mine: fewer vs. less. Is it really so hard to get that one right?
    Anymores it seems that less and less people use "fewer" and "less" correctly. They could care fewer, more or less.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nora_Charles View Post
    No one has mentioned my absolute "favorite" grammatical error: "anyways". NO, NO, NO!!!! There is no "s" in the word "anyway". Same is true for "all". Or the new one I keep hearing, "welp", used in place of "well". As in "Welp, I'm off for the grocery store!". Why are you addressing newborn puppies? (Yes, I know that's "whelp", but still...)
    My sister and I totally use those in conversation with our friends and with each other. DEFINITELY not in writing though!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    My sister and I totally use those in conversation with our friends and with each other. DEFINITELY not in writing though!
    Those words don't sound better spoken than written...

vCash
    It turns out that this

he believes in the tenants of his religion.
    wasn't a misspelling after all:

Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    So, gay marriage, homosexuality is wrong, unless you're renting out space in your building to a gay club. Or if your son co-owns one.
    How could I have missed that?

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    "More happy", to me, sounds totally incorrect...but I could be wrong.
    Perhaps it depends on where you're taught. To me, saying, "She looks more happy than when I last saw her" sounds perfectly OK. I remember that when I was doing my English degree, I used more+adjective in my essays quite a lot, as I grew to like the way it sounded. My tutors never picked up on this as being wrong, but maybe they would elsewhere in the world.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast