Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash

Goodbye, cruel words: English. It's dead to me

vCash

I'm gonna let Prancer tackle the last sentence of the piece. I know that's one of her pet peeves.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Mine, too. And it’s a double down!
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    My writing group got a big kick out of that column last month. Of course, we do have a few members who believe that grammar and spelling are optional, and following rules is a sign of needless conformity.

vCash

When I was teaching and coaching speech, my biggest non-word pet peeve was judges writing "pronounciate" or "pronounciation" on score sheets when they meant "enunciate" or "enunciation".

vCash
    The sad thing is, I know a couple of English majors who talk/write like that. And who think that "irregardless" and "thusly" are just fine.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Oh dear the English language is doomed. Needless apostrophes, lousy spelling, it makes this former English major weep.

vCash
    I kind of like the "doggy dog world" phrase.

But this is nothing new. I sat in an upper division geography class thirty years ago while the professor roared a rant about the idiotic students who'd written "alpha alpha" as the answer to a test question on primary animal fodders in a certain country. Apparently, out of our class of twenty or so, five or six students had made this same error. One, I am sure, that they never repeated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralgraph View Post
    Oh dear the English language is doomed. Needless apostrophes, lousy spelling, it makes this former English major weep.
    Needless apostrophes are one of my pet peeves. Especially when people put them in verbs.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralgraph View Post
    We moved into our particular area because the school district is the best in the county. My son's 4th grade teacher sent home the very first class newsletter with the misspelling of principal. I rolled my eyes, figured she knocked that out quickly but since then I've noticed she has misspelled receive and their. She did not seem to get the spelling rules downpat in grade school.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    The sad thing is, I know a couple of English majors who talk/write like that. And who think that "irregardless" and "thusly" are just fine.
    Proofreading my boss's papers/grants is always an exercise in

Not only is there "thusly" but there's also "firstly." And three-clause sentences that go on for 4 lines. And one doozy that will go down in infamy: "but yet." I crossed that out with gusto, lemme tell you. After my head hit the desk.

It was also amusing for the most recent grant, when it had passed through 5 hands and I was the first person to catch "polulation." My boss was grateful for that one, since that was gonna go to the NCI.

vCash
    The worst butchers of the language, imo, are the sellers on the home shopping channels. They love to say that a pair of earrings "matches/works back to" or "goes back with" a pendant. They love to say "more pretty" instead, of course, "prettier".

Another new term I can't stomach is "adopt out" instead of "put up for adoption": this isn't just about people, but pets, or even just items that are being given away. Other overuses of "out": "frame the room out" and "switch out".

"Oldest" instead of "eldest". Never getting "I" and "me" correct. Putting themselves first in a sentance: "Me and him", ugh! As much as I love the show "Psych", "Sean" never and I mean never gets that right. Never. "Most unique" when of course, "unique" is an absolute.

Oh, and I cannot leave out the overuse of the word "did". Once in awhile, for emphasis, it's nice to say (for example), "he did do that"; but it's being used all. the. time. and now every sentance seems to have that emphasis where it doesn't belong.

Sorry, this thread is like opening a can of worms for me... somebody stop me! My private school was strict! And getting things correct is so easy if one just puts one's mind to it!

-Bridget, who is praying she didn't make any grammatical or spelling errors herein
    Last edited by John 3 17; 10-11-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: forgot one ;)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John 3 17 View Post
    -Bridget, who is praying she didn't make any grammatical or spelling errors herein

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    They love to say "more pretty" instead, of course, "prettier".
    Saying someone is "more pretty" or "more happy" is a perfectly acceptable alternative to "prettier" or "happier". Often it gives more elegance to a sentence (though I'm not saying that's necessarily the case in the example you cite).

What I really can't bear is the way nouns are increasingly being turned into verbs. Words such as 'progress' and 'action' have now become transitive verbs, e.g. "to action something". This usage seems to be spreading from the US to Britain, sadly. I know all languages evolve, but using a noun as a verb because the correct verb might not be immediately obvious just seems like laziness.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    They love to say "more pretty" instead, of course, "prettier".
    At least they didn't say, "more prettier."

I just edited four documents for my company. One of my jobs is to make everything concise and easy-to-read. I felt like the person who originally wrote the documents was being paid for word usage by the letter. My pet peeve with this particular set of documents was that the author consistently wrote "utilize" when "use" would've sufficed. Also, she stuck "will" in a lot of places where it wasn't necessary. Thanks goodness that project is over!

I agree that turning nouns into verbs is especially aggravating. "E-mail me," versus, "Send me an e-mail," is one of my pet peeves. Along those lines, I really hate use of the word "sexing" in some pop songs. Ugh and ick. This one makes my skin crawl!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Saying someone is "more pretty" or "more happy" is a perfectly acceptable alternative to "prettier" or "happier". Often it gives more elegance to a sentence (though I'm not saying that's necessarily the case in the example you cite).

What I really can't bear is the way nouns are increasingly being turned into verbs. Words such as 'progress' and 'action' have now become transitive verbs, e.g. "to action something". This usage seems to be spreading from the US to Britain, sadly. I know all languages evolve, but using a noun as a verb because the correct verb might not be immediately obvious just seems like laziness.
    I hate nouns being turned into adjectives by adding a -y to the end. Or, worse, adding a final -y to a word that already is an adjective.

vCash
    Putting themselves first in a sentance: "Me and him", ugh! As much as I love the show "Psych", "Sean" never and I mean never gets that right. Never. "Most unique" when of course, "unique" is an absolute.

Oh, and I cannot leave out the overuse of the word "did". Once in awhile, for emphasis, it's nice to say (for example), "he did do that"; but it's being used all. the. time. and now every sentance seems to have that emphasis where it doesn't belong.

Not all prayers are granted.

vCash
    Squibble, eys, that will teach me not to post language/spelling pet peeves at 3am, :lol

-Bridget

vCash
    My favorite story on this subject: I was standing in line at the Post Office, looking around the way you do, when I saw this sticker on the stamp dispensing machine, "Dollar Bills Excepted". Of course, what was really meant was accepted. When I shook my head and made some sort of "tsk" noise, the woman in front of me asked me what was wrong. When I pointed out the error, she looked at me and said, "life must be very difficult for you".

For the most part - I blame "spell check"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I kind of like the "doggy dog world" phrase.
    That's one of the malapropisms that I especially hate! Mainly because it makes not a whit of sense, but probably my being a cat person factors in just a wee bit. Oh well, if it really is a "doggy dog" world, I hope they at least get all the bitches "spaded"!
    But this is nothing new. I sat in an upper division geography class thirty years ago while the professor roared a rant about the idiotic students who'd written "alpha alpha" as the answer to a test question on primary animal fodders in a certain country. Apparently, out of our class of twenty or so, five or six students had made this same error. One, I am sure, that they never repeated.
    I had to read that sentence twice before I figured out what they had meant. I guess they never had a chance to see the Little Rascals on TV.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast