Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Vancouver Travel Advice

Hi All,

I'm heading to Vancovuer next week Wed-Sun. Looking for tips beyond the typical touristy stuff. I'm planning on doing Stanley Park and the Aquarium, downtown shopping, Chinatown... Not doing the Capilano Bridge because I don't want to pay $30 for that...

Been to Van lots (in Edmonton here), but also looking for some fun stuff beyond the usual...

Does anyone know if there are still any Vancouver 2010 Merchants still offering items for sale? There was a jacket that was in my Cart on the website but now they are out of stock and I want to see if I can find it... Any info on Vancouver 2010 merchandise still for sale would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Kyle

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Scrap Capilano Bridge, but go to Lynn Canyon Bridge, it's free IIRC! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynn_Canyon_Park.

Now that I think about it, I didn't really see much off the beaten path in Vancouver the three days I visited last year

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    ITA about Lynn Canyon. Although it's more of a nice-day-outdoor-hiking place than general touristy. It's also not that easy to get to without a vehicle (unlike Capilano, which although touristy, is at least on the transit line).

There's definitely 2010 Oly merchandise still available, and most of it 70% off. A few stores on Granville Island have some (and Granville Island is a great destination anyway, even tho it is on the tourist lists), and I believe the main Bay downtown was advertising some as well.

Speaking of Granville Island, the funnest way to get there is to take the Aquabus from downtown.

Other stuff: Film Festival! VIFF is on until the 15th. Unlike the Toronto film festival, where Oscar-contenders are premiered, VIFF tends to feature smaller, indie films, many of which will never find a distributor so this might be your only chance to see them. Also a good option -- if you get unlucky with the weather. (a better than average possibility, I'm affraid!)

The current Robert Adams photo exhibit at the VAG is pretty wonderful if you like that kind of thing. (And another rainy-day option.)

Check out the Georgia Straight for event listing. It's published Thursdays so the current issue will cover part of your visit; then you can pick up next week's issue when you're here (they're free, in boxes on practically every street corner. or of course online)

Beyond that ... there's really so much to do here, can you narrow it down a bit? Any specific interests?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post

There's definitely 2010 Oly merchandise still available, and most of it 70% off. A few stores on Granville Island have some (and Granville Island is a great destination anyway, even tho it is on the tourist lists), and I believe the main Bay downtown was advertising some as well.

Granville Island Touristy or not, it's fabulous!

The Bay must have some 2010 stuff left from their Olympic Superstore. I've never seen soooo much event specific merchandise on one place before.

Have fun, safe trip!

vCash
    I'm not really an Art Gallery type... ohh VIFF? Any chance of celebrity sightings? I'm a total gossip monger... Outdoor natural stuff I am into, hmm... shopping, metrotown doesnt interest me as we have WEM... Looking for Van merchandise... lots of it! Thanks for the tips...
    Kyle

INTJ
    vCash
    The best gelato place ever!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    I'm not really an Art Gallery type... ohh VIFF? Any chance of celebrity sightings? I'm a total gossip monger... Outdoor natural stuff I am into, hmm... shopping, metrotown doesnt interest me as we have WEM... Looking for Van merchandise... lots of it! Thanks for the tips...
    VIFF is like the anti-Toronto film festival. No red carpet, no E! coverage....the only stars are the directors and the films. But there are some great films every year, so do take a look at the listing:
    http://www.viff.org

The only Olympic merch I've seen in the last while has been at clearance stores like Liquidation World.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I know there is a nude beach. Does it count as touristy stuff?

ETA: You don't have to pack anything extra to visit the Wreck Beach!
    Last edited by luenatic; 10-07-2010 at 11:03 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    Casa Gelato: The best gelato place ever!
    Hmm, "best" is subjective. Their range of flavours is unrivaled, and that's kinda cool. But for quality, not really the best IMO. For best flavour I prefer Dolce Amore on Commercial Drive, or Mondo Gelato on Denman in the English Bay area. Both neighbourhoods are also great for street shopping and fabulous food in general (Commercial being funkier).

vCash
    Im looking for wherever would sell it within reason... I'll be staying in Kitsilano and dont have access to a car so I don't want to be going too far out of my way bussing or cabbing, Granville Island and downtown are the best options for me because Granville is close and it doesnt take long to get downtown by bus at all... I like doing touristy stuff, but Capilano Bridge... that's just too much $$ to me to be spending on that... I will be shopping (Gucci, Burberry, etc.) but only looking this time, I dropped $1200 at Gucci in Seattle so I have to be on my best behavior when it comes to the higher end stuff... I'm really mainly only looking for Vancouver 2010 Official Merchandise... More clothing really, there are some things I am looking for that I hope I can find while venturing around. I have lots of time to use so hopefully that will happen!
    Kyle

vCash
    Two stores on Granville Island that definitely had Oly clothing a couple of weeks ago were Stitches and the Aboriginal store in the Net Loft building across from the market (they just had the Four Host First Nations stuff, not the general branded stuff).

But I'm sure a friend said something about a big ad for "lots of Olympic clothing" at the main Bay downtown.

For other stuffs, if you get a nice day, walk around the Stanley Park seawall. One of my favourite things in the world to do. (Or you can rent bikes.)

vCash
    Do you like Improv? The Vancouver International Improv Festival is on this week!

vCash
    Fantastic, Bay is the first place I am going to look. The pullover was in my cart on the website but someone apparently got the last one So I am going to venture into Granville Island and the Bay, not looking so much for the aboriginal stuff but the more general branded Vancouver 2010 stuff, not looking for Team Canada but actual Vancouver 2010 clothing. I know I'm being greedy lol but I want to find as much Vancouver 2010 clothing at a discount heh. If anyone sees any locations let me know! but Stitches on Granville Island and the bay will be my two hot spots.

I am most assuredly going to be doing Stanley Park and the Aquarium. Exploring Downtown and Chinatown. I know there is so much to do and explore... I was apalled that the Capilano Bridge charges $30 an adult, so that is out. I am sure there is more around Kitsilano and such, I will be looking into it.

How long does it take to go around the Seawall at Stanley Park? Seems like gorgeous picture taking opportunities and I'm known to take a photo or two (If my 67 albums on facebook say anything...) I'm glad VIFF is about the films but I still like to celebrity watch and such.

I'm still not sure, I know about gay bars, etc. Anyone know if there are any LGBT related stores/businesses? I don't have a TON of money to spend but still not a bad idea...

I'm a bit of an Olympics nut (Vancouver 2010 Logo tattooed along with Olympic Rings and Canada Flag) so I am looking for lots of post Olympics memorbilia if I can get my hands on it...

Should be a fun trip!

As for Improv... I do... Except I don't get into town until my bday which is next Wednesday
    Kyle

vCash
    Make sure to eat some cocktail buns in Chinatown. Yummmmm!
    Have a great time!

vCash
    Welcome to Vancouver!

First thing: embrace public transit. When you arrive at the airport, get an all-day bus pass from 7-11 (which is near the baggage claim), so you can use our Skytrain system. That way, you can avoid the ridiculous surcharge they add on regular transit fares when you take transit from the airport. Everyday, just buy an all-day bus pass so you can use transit all day long (it's 9 dollars).

Since you're staying in Kitsilano, check out The Eatery if you like sushi.

The Seawall, from Canada Place/Convention Centre to Kitsilano Beach, is approximately 23 km, so it's a REALLY long walk/run. But if you can rent a bike, it's a nice (and leisurely) 2 hour ride. Along the way, you can check out the Convention Centre, the Cauldron (although no flame), the Seaplanes, Stanley Park (and everything it has to offer), the Inukshuk, English Bay, the Vancouver Museum, Yaletown, Science World (it was Russia House during the Olympics), the Olympic Village, Granville Island, Vanier Park and Kitsilano Beach. It's my favourite thing to do in the City.

As for 2010 Merch, The Bay downtown still has a relatively large space reserved for this stuff, but the discounts aren't great. I have been waiting fr the CANADA T-shirts to go on sale, but they are still the regular price. Boo! I don't know about the rest of Canada, but there are several Bays and Zellers in the area who are selling the old Red Mittens. I bought a pair a couple months ago. They have these newly designed mittens, but I find them ugly.

Besides Granville Island, a lot of the tourist shops in Gastown will have a lot of stuff.

And here's a link to the Olympics Warehouse, which is in Burnaby (it says it's a 10 minute walk from a Skytrain Station, probably Production Way Station, which is the Station one departs if you want to go to Simon Fraser University):

http://www.northerngifts.com/2010sale.htm

If you like to shop, for more high end stuff, Alberni Street is where you would go. For local designers and artists, Gastown, Main Street and Granville Island are the places to go.

And besides Chinatown, there is a suburb called Richmond, which is like a Canadian version of Hong Kong. There's an Asian mall called Aberdeen, which has a Japanese toonie store called Daiso. Lots of fun.

Davie Street is the gay-friendliest area in Vancouver. It's in Downtown. For clubs, Celebrities is the most mainstream. To watch a hockey games, Scores or Fountainhead Pub are the best. For stores, I like Little Sister's Book and Arts Emporium.

vCash
    What I loved about downtown Vancouver was that all the little areas (Gastown, Denman Shops, Robson Shops, Yaletown, Davie Village, Chinatown, Granville) was doable in one day if you got an early start.

When my sis visited Vancouver she said that she ate at an amazing Malaysian restaurant called Banana Leaf - I believe that there's one in Kitsilano (Kitsilano is a beautiful area btw).

I hope that you have fun there, and that it doesn't rain!!! And happy bday in advance!

vCash
    There is an extremely unassuming little park (Meditation Park) on Wall Street at the northern end of North Nanaimo Street. Walk down the slope to the northeast corner, where there is a walkway lined with blackberry vines. Go along the walkway, make a couple of quick turns, and you'll be standing over a railway line, with a view of downtown, Stanley Park, the Lion's Gate Bridge, the mountains above West and North Vancouver, and the commercial harbor. It's the best view in Vancouver.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by venja View Post
    When my sis visited Vancouver she said that she ate at an amazing Malaysian restaurant called Banana Leaf - I believe that there's one in Kitsilano (Kitsilano is a beautiful area btw).
    There is a Banana Leaf on Broadway near Main street and might be another one in Kitsilano. If not, Broadway and Main is not far to travel by bus.

I'd recommend The Sitar (Indian food) in Gastown. I dine out with great discrimination and there are few restaurants here that I find worthwhile to spend $$ on. The Sitar is one of the few.

vCash
    I'd recommend the Water Street Cafe in Gastown. Great Italian food!

And the views from the Vancouver Lookout are fabulous:

http://www.vancouverlookout.com/

vCash
    Ohh Lewis many thanks! I've actually been to Vancouver 3 or 4 times before but yeah I obviously still don't know all that there is to offer...

and 23 KM... More than a half marathon would take me the entire day to complete the seawall I will most assuredly take some time to do some of it and do a lot of picture taking and do some exploring and of course go back to the Aquarium for the first time since 2001.

My mom is going to kill me, told me not to bring any more clothes home but at those prices well... I'll just have to take price tags off I have a habit for buying clothes... and lots of them...

I have to admit for dining options I'm very generic and picky about what I eat. I usually stick to places like Moxies, Earls, Joeys, etc. I eat a VERY western diet and don't much have a palate for spice, though I may get adventurous in Chinatown lol.

I'm sure I will find lots to do! Thanks for all the advice.
    Kyle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast