Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    No mums, but my mom and aunts used to make candy corsages for their daughters when they turned 13, I think. It was cute - a little ribbon bow with 13 streamers that hung down. There was a piece of wrapped candy on each ribbon - I can't remember what kind...lifesavers, lollipops, maybe?

I thought the football band playing upside-down garbage cans was just as interesting.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    The drummers were cool.

vCash
    Football band? Oh, you ferriners haven't even touched the surface of Texas school culture!

As a former Texas band geek, I'll have you know that football games were only a small part of our duties. Marching band is as competitive as football, but with more nerds, polyester, and feathery hats. My HS marching band had 200+ members, which was over 10% of the student body. There are several competitions just for marching bands every fall.

I went to 42 HS football games and never paid attention to a single minute of football.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Bands are like that here too.

When I was a high school sophomore (we had no freshmen in our school) there was no marching band because of lack of funding for uniforms. Huge fundraisers were held, and I played in the marching band my junior and senior year. My senior year I was in the drum line. There were three of us - bass drum (me), snare and tri-toms.

I ran into my old band teacher last year. He's still at the school (man he must have been young when he was teaching us). He says that he has an assistant now, and the marching band is over 200 people. How times have changed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy L View Post
    Football band? Oh, you ferriners haven't even touched the surface of Texas school culture!

As a former Texas band geek, I'll have you know that football games were only a small part of our duties. Marching band is as competitive as football, but with more nerds, polyester, and feathery hats. My HS marching band had 200+ members, which was over 10% of the student body. There are several competitions just for marching bands every fall.

I went to 42 HS football games and never paid attention to a single minute of football.
    Just 42? your football team must not have been very good

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNaoWat? View Post
    It was a status thing. The bigger and tackier your mum, the more likely it was that you were a member of the popular group. If your mum was plain and tasteful, you were probably just a nerd, a dork, a pitiful hanger-on. (and your mom probably bought it for you, because you probably had never had a boyfriend in your life.)

ETA: The beribboned mum tradition has now extended to be a 'new baby' thing. You're only cool if you have a huge mum on your hospital room door with a thousand ribbons and baby doo-dads on it announcing your new arrival.
    Thanks for the insight - it definitely sounds like it's all about making someone else feel bad so that you can feel better about yourself! Is that a Texas thing too? Sounds sad that they promote that sentiment in high school.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by El Rey View Post
    Just 42? your football team must not have been very good

Oh yes, they were quite terrible. Which is why I took note of the term "football band".

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
    Thanks for the insight - it definitely sounds like it's all about making someone else feel bad so that you can feel better about yourself! Is that a Texas thing too? Sounds sad that they promote that sentiment in high school.

I haven't looked at the link yet because I'm enjoying the visions conjured up by everyone's posts. I don't think my imagination rivals the reality.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Schmeck: Nothing can prepare you for that video! It is a whole culture(less) schock to your system! I was chatting online with someone last night and said it's like when you see a horrible car accident and you know you shouldn't stare but you just can't NOT stare with your jaw hanging open!

vCash
    "Marching Band?" I think you mean the band we heard but never saw on the video. I want to see the drummers march while banging on dented metal garbage pails. In a lightning storm. As seen on Funky Winkerbean .

Quote Originally Posted by Amy L View Post

Yeah, 20 years of education and I never went to a school with a decent football team either. Our band wasn't so great, either.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonDudd View Post
    Schmeck: Nothing can prepare you for that video! It is a whole culture(less) schock to your system! I was chatting online with someone last night and said it's like when you see a horrible car accident and you know you shouldn't stare but you just can't NOT stare with your jaw hanging open!
    It wasn't that bad - no nudity and everyone's blood and guts were intact.
    It's a quaint tradition, they were all happy with it and no one was hurt. I thought it was nice, no worse than Debutante dresses.

I do think the Mums they created and wore look like funeral sprays. At least they didn't use real chrysanthemums - I'd have to leave the state! Achooo!

I wonder if there's a connection between the Texas tradition and the "Mummers" groups who march in parades around the country? Their costumes are just as eye-catching and larger than life.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 10-09-2010 at 12:13 AM.

vCash
    I don't even know any high school in my area that has a homecoming, other than alumni reunion type of things (which are usually organized by the alumni themselves and not the school). Obviously civilization has advanced much further in Texas...
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    My NYC high school always had a Homecoming football game against their local rival. Since they were only a 20-minute train ride away from each other's schools, and most of the graduates went to commuter colleges, there wasn't a lot of "I miss my home" atmosphere. It was more an excuse to sneak in booze, curse at the other team and leer at the cheerleaders.

My college campus was a rooftop garden. If a football player went out for a forward pass, they would have landed in traffic six stories below. Guess that's why the "country campuses" held all the practices and games. Also why none of the NYC students went to games, lol.

vCash
    In Chicagos Public Schools since many of them were built in the early part of the last century, they would rotate the football games between 3 or 4 stadiums at different areas of the city. So, there wasn't that feeling of it being a home game or away game. We had to take yellow school buses to and from and always during the rush hours so that made life even more boring so a lot of people didn't go! They finally did start playing at a park across the street from the high school and bought out land around the high school. Our classes were so huge (we were the heart of the boomers) and freshmen went to other campuses and so you had to reacclimate to the BIG HS as a lowly sophomore. My graduating class was about 1000 kids and we had to have graduation at McCormick Place so that the entire class could be together!

We did have a great marching band that went to the Orange and Rose Bowl Parades while I was in high school. Just one more clique for kids to not fit into. Most of the bigger high schools in Chicago had marching bands and Chicago loves to have big parades!

vCash
    I, too, am wondering how these things came to be called "mums." Chrysanthemums? Mothers? Mummers like they have in parades, like someone else speculated? Someone please enlighten me.

Texas is like a foreign country to me. I've only ever been to DFW to change planes.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I went to high school in Texas and yes, the Mums are huge and a big deal. However, I never saw any THAT big at my school. Those were a little over the top, even for what I remember!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I don't even know any high school in my area that has a homecoming, other than alumni reunion type of things (which are usually organized by the alumni themselves and not the school). Obviously civilization has advanced much further in Texas...
    No homecoming? They are such fun, even without the mums. DS's homecoming was last Saturday. They won - the first ever homecoming game win for the football team (the school's only been open four years).

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Canadian perspective:

Texas Homecoming = Traveller's Wedding

I think I'd rather wear the dress than hold those mum's. (The drummers are cool though)
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post

I haven't looked at the link yet because I'm enjoying the visions conjured up by everyone's posts. I don't think my imagination rivals the reality.

Oh, Milanessa. That's what I thought too when they were described to me originally. And then I saw the video. And then my D confirmed with her boyfriend (who's from the Dallas area) that it was all true, and not just at that one school. (Though apparently at his all-boys high school, it is the moms who make the mums for the girlfriends, because the boys can't be entrusted with the complex glue gun stuff.) The word is that they don't have a homecoming dance (like we had) and instead everything goes into getting the biggest and baddest mum. If I reincarnate, I hope it isn't as a Texan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12