Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NaNoWriMo

vCash

NaNoWriMo

Whheeeeeeeeeeeeee! It's that time again folks...well, almost! National Novel Writing Month begins again in November...start catching up with people now, stock up on coffee and buy some comfie PJs, because come November, life changes. NaNoWriMo is your chance to finally write the novel you've always dreamed of writing.

I'm up for the pain and suffering yet again. My username remains the same (Angelskates). Who else is in?

vCash
    Me! I'm Gymfan15 over there. I can start a Writing Group thread for FSUers like I did last year, if that would be appreciated.

This year I'm doing a sequel to my first novel, which is about a gymnast. Should be perfectly time just coming off of Worlds, methinks.

vCash
    I'm actually considering it, though I don't really have a clue what I'm getting myself into!! The concept intrigued me, & then last week an idea popped into my head--though of course I don't have a plot or anything.....anyone else in? I need someone to push me over the edge!

vCash
    After much thinking over the last couple of months, I decided that I won't be doing it this year On the other hand, I've decided to use this month to start making a serious go of getting last year's novel published. I'm still in the process of writing and refining the query letter but am a little of sending it to any agents yet... any advice out there? I know there are some writers here who have gotten published so I'd really appreciate your insight

vCash
    Count me on NaNoWriMo, too. This will be my 6th year participating! I'm tackling a story involving trafficking, prostitution, kidnapping, and organized crime; part of the story is set in Russia, Canada, and the US.

Regarding finding an agent, it is prudent for a first-time author to find an agent who specializes in unpublished writers, not all of them do that. One place to try is here: http://www.author-network.com/agents.html

Good luck, everybody!

vCash
    Wheee! I have no gallbladder or appendix or other such devices to impede my writing this year, so this will be the time I make it past 20 pages. Unless my spleen decides to give me trouble.

I am also Matryeshka on NaNoWriMo.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    After much thinking over the last couple of months, I decided that I won't be doing it this year On the other hand, I've decided to use this month to start making a serious go of getting last year's novel published. I'm still in the process of writing and refining the query letter but am a little of sending it to any agents yet... any advice out there? I know there are some writers here who have gotten published so I'd really appreciate your insight
    Mkats, I have an agent who handles both fiction and nonfiction. She runs a blog here that's full of great advice for writers. She also has a blogroll with links to more agent blogs. I've found it all very helpful. You might find an agent among this crowd, or you might decide that you don't care for any of them and want to find someone else, but either way you'll get a lot of useful tips on the whole process, especially if you click on their "query" tags.

I find that many of these agents tend to take a no-nonsense, tough-love tone. So be prepared.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Matry! Blue Bead! backspin!

Good luck mkats!

Wyliefan, are you in?

Why, oh why is GP during November?!

vCash
    I wish I were, Angelskates, but I just can't manage it. Best wishes to all you intrepid participants!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I tried last year but I just couldn't keep up; I am toying with the idea of trying again, as I have some sort of story planned that I'd like to write, but I can't make up my mind yet. Mainly, last year I was writing in English, and I think it added too much to my plate and that stopped me mid-track, so I'm thinking of writing in Italian this year...

vCash
    I'm attempting for the upteenth time. I'm not sure why I keep doing this-- I've yet to get past 20K. I have, however, met a lot of awesome people at the local Nano meetups over the years, so I highly recommend attending one if you can.

I'm trying something new this year, story-wise. I always try to come up with a story that I'm not all that attached to because it means I don't let my imagination out much. This year I'm writing a story I've had in mind for awhile. I'm also sort of cheating: the city it's taking place in is a fictional one I'm familiar enough with, as it's from a video game. I figure it's an easy way to get over the setting skips I sometimes hit when writing.

vCash
    more people. I'm sort of cheating this year too, Andora, as mine is based on a true story (my life).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Mkats, I have an agent who handles both fiction and nonfiction. She runs a blog here that's full of great advice for writers. She also has a blogroll with links to more agent blogs. I've found it all very helpful. You might find an agent among this crowd, or you might decide that you don't care for any of them and want to find someone else, but either way you'll get a lot of useful tips on the whole process, especially if you click on their "query" tags.

I find that many of these agents tend to take a no-nonsense, tough-love tone. So be prepared.
    Whee! Thank you! I was hoping you'd respond as I remembered you posting a link to the queryshark blog earlier. That blog had me alternating between and and and ... here's hoping mine falls into none of the above!

Blue Bead - thanks for the link! I'll be sure to check it out

vCash
    Is anyone else having trouble getting on the site? I'm guessing maybe the server is getting overloaded as we approach liftoff....it's like Worlds Ladies championship, but with novels instead! lolol

Oh, forgot to add--I'm iceartist over there.

vCash
    No problems for me. I really want my t-shirts before it all begins... I'm going to my favourite cafe on Saturday and Sunday to re-organise things before the big day. Bummer it starts on a Monday - it's better to start mid to late week so at least I could get some work done in week 1!

vCash
    The site is working fine for me, but I heard they were doing maintenance earlier today so maybe that's what you ran into, backspin?

Whatever slownss they have now is NOTHING compared to what they had the first year I did it, '08. It was nuts...for Oct. 31st and the next three days, it would literally take 15 minutes to load one page. Last year was SO much better; apparently they upgraded their servers and there was hardly any slowness at all. I'm hoping for/expecting the same this time.

vCash
    What do/did you guys use the site for? I uploaded for word count and that's about it. I only check FSU as far as daily forums and one distraction is enough there!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    What do/did you guys use the site for? I uploaded for word count and that's about it. I only check FSU as far as daily forums and one distraction is enough there!
    The first couple times I did Nano in 2003 and 2004, I used the site for chatting a bit, but mostly to see where the writing meetups were.

vCash
    Me too--I'm going to my first meeting tonight (if I feel good enough; I have a cold). Then Monday there's a write-in right where I'll be teaching, so I'm going to go. I'll be about 1/2 hour late, but I don't think that should matter. Partly I'm doing this to get outside my own little box of a world, so I want to go to as many meetings as I can & hopefully meet some new people!

vCash
    I check the site a couple of times per day, looking for write-ins and checking on threads I've started in the Reference section. Plus, I discovered quite a few subjects related to the story I'm developing which gives me other avenues to research and, perhaps, flesh out more of my plot. Some of the topics that get posted are totally crazy but that's half the fun of NaNo.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast