vCash

Travel suggestions needed for Thanksgiving

Hello all... I and a friend want to head out of Boston towards some warmer climes for the 4-day Thanksgiving weekend rather than fattening ourselves up with turkey. Problem is there are so many choices that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to pick a place. I want to go somewhere that has beaches and some historical sights as well - for example would love to go see Mayan ruins. I checked out Cancun but am not sure about how safe it is to stay away from the resort areas. Has anybody stayed in downtown Cancun or somewhere not in a resort?

Another option I'm exploring is Puerto Rico but have heard that it is very expensive once you are there.

Any tips/ suggestions regarding Puerto Rico, Cancun or any other place in the Caribbean or Central America would be immensely appreciated

vCash
    Bumping up, still hoping people will have some suggestions/Puerto Rico experiences to share

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Bumping up, still hoping people will have some suggestions/Puerto Rico experiences to share
    Several years ago I went with then-husband to Punta Cana in Dominican Republic. On the plus side, the resorts there are all-inclusives, no extra charges, and there are probably direct flights from Boston. The beach there is lovely. On the minus side, unlike PR and other island, you can't really leave the resort, there's nothing to see except hamlets of extreme poverty.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Ajax,

I would not venture out alone beyond the resort areas in Mexico, but I tend to be a bit conservative about that sort of thing. Why not stay on the main strip but book some excursions to the ruins so you can go with a group and guide. Everything is so relatively inexpensive there.

Otherwise, I've never been to Puerto Rico, but I did a little research and there is one all inclusive resort, the Copamarina. I don't know how much you want to spend, but at least, with all inclusive, you know what to expect. I don't know anyone who has stayed there, but it got good reviews on Trip Advisor.

This is also an excellent site for travel-related questions:

www.fodors.com

They have a wonderful messageboard.