vCash

Jumping Higher??

Can you give me some exercise ideas on how to jump higher?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by babbyrabbit View Post
    Can you give me some exercise ideas on how to jump higher?
    On the floor, or on the ice? And who is the jumper?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    There's a thread exactly like this in this forum already, if you take a look. It's just a few threads below.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    Practically speaking, jump height is based on two things: muscle strength, and technique. The technique should be perfected with your coach, while the muscles, well, anything that strengthens your legs, back, arms, and core will help you jump higher.

It's kind of a broad topic..there are no magic workouts for higher jumps. It all has to come together. And yes, this thread is a repeat of a recent other thread.

vCash
    You are right! I do have the technique but as an adult I don't get the muscles anymore (not without a LOT of work ) AND my knee won't take it jumping higher anyway

vCash
    Its for my daughter who keeps asking. She is working on her Preliminary but I honestly dont think she has mentally figured out how to jump if that makes sense. She can do all her half jumps, toe loop, salchow, ect but barely clears the ice.

So I guess i am looking for advice for a young skater.

vCash
    Its for my daughter who keeps asking. She is working on her Preliminary but I honestly dont think she has mentally figured out how to jump if that makes sense. She can do all her half jumps, toe loop, salchow, ect but barely clears the ice.

My advice is that most young skaters at Preliminary level barely clear the ice. So I don't really think you or she have anything to worry about.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Ages ago I knew a Russian who had his skaters do an off-ice exercise in sneakers that was supposed to aid in lift: It was basically jumping straight up: standing on two feet, bend at the ankles and knees then spring up flexing the the ankle so the ball of the foot is the last thing to leave the ground. Really push off the ball. The focus was on jumping UP and coming straight down. The beginners landed on two feet, paused to reset then sprang up again. More advanced skaters landed on one foot in landing position. I've also seen an exercise where the skater jumps and turns in the air to get rotation.

I honestly don't know if it really helps but it might give your daughter something to work on so that she feels she's doing something.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash

She needs to bend her knee as deeply as possible before takeoff, and then she needs to really point her toes as she leaves the ice. That will give her the maximum range of motion from her jumping leg and foot and will give her more height.

vCash
    I had asked the same question recently and one thing that help me was to land my jumps intentionally on two feet for a while to have the courage to jump higher and then start trying to land them on one feet again. That really helped me.

Off ice I recently saw skaters jump rotation with both arms over head and locked hands and then jumping a full rotation in one direction and then immediately in the other direction.
    I tried that as well and I noticed that it helps to be straight in the air.

Otherwise, my coach reminded me that there are three things that make a jump high:
    Knee bend, arm raise, leg kick into the jump.