Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    So very deserved for Vargas Llosa

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetsparky View Post
    I had lost faith in the Academy awarding him, I´m glad I was wrong. A superb writer (I consider him one of the best ever in Spanish.)
    I have to admit, I think some of the later winners might very well be part of a backlog that they're now going through because some of the crankier members of Svenska Akademien who always blocked those authors died. SA chairs are elected for life, and a couple of years ago there were more men in their 80ies than women overall etc.

vCash
    I just love this telephone interview with Andre Geim: Nobel link He articulates everything I love (and hope to continue loving) about research--the humor, the play, the random simple experiments that work 1 out of 100 times, the camaraderie.

Some people would call me a workaholic. I don’t consider this time: I just love my work so much, so it’s my real hobby, ok. And, yeah, getting some play during working hours for which you are paid is the best job I can recommend for anyone around!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilynn View Post
    I have to admit, I think some of the later winners might very well be part of a backlog that they're now going through because some of the crankier members of Svenska Akademien who always blocked those authors died. SA chairs are elected for life, and a couple of years ago there were more men in their 80ies than women overall etc.
    That sounds very reasonable.

I had read, coming from some Spanish literature circles, some gossip about how Vargas Llosa had some opposition cause his political evolution (to liberalism) and political activities in the past, or cause he was considered part of the same literary movement that would have been recognized when Gabriel García Márquez received the award.

I had a hard time believing any of those reasons as serious, but since there were talk about other Spanish language writers that were now being told as possible winners of the prize instead, it seemed to me that he could be left apart, what I certainly found a bit unfair.
    Zorry my english, I´m a verrrrrry rude spaÑish

vCash
    Congratulations to Mr. Llosa!
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    I had read, coming from some Spanish literature circles, some gossip about how Vargas Llosa had some opposition cause his political evolution (to liberalism) and political activities in the past, or cause he was considered part of the same literary movement that would have been recognized when Gabriel García Márquez received the award.

I had a hard time believing any of those reasons as serious, but since there were talk about other Spanish language writers that were now being told as possible winners of the prize instead, it seemed to me that he could be left apart, what I certainly found a bit unfair.
    Another thing I read was that he lobbied for the prize was was "unseemly".

I love his work and I'm glad he finally won it.

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    he was considered part of the same literary movement that would have been recognized when Gabriel García Márquez received the award.
    I so dislike Márquez, I don't even know where to start when I want to bitch about him There was, like, a dozen of Latin American writers who deserved the Nobel Prize more than him: Carpentier, Onetti, Fuentes, Puig, Cortázar, Galeano... You name them. And those are just Spanish-language writers. What about Brazil? Jorge Amado freaking died without receiving a Nobel Prize. Hello? Totally worthless writers like Le Clézio and Gao Xingjian got it, and the genius who wrote "Dona Flor e Seus Dois Maridos" was snubbed?!

vCash
    Then again, "Cien años de soledad" is my favorite book ever.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I tried to like Gao Xingjian and didn't see the appeal either. I have head Dona Flor and her two husbands a looooooooong time ago but it was great. Never heard of this year's lit winner. What can you tell me?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I had to read Vargas Llosa's Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter for a lit class and was bitching and moaning about it because I had never heard of him. As it turned out, my complaints were unfounded because the book was marvellous - so colourful and simply bursting with life. Much congrats to him for winning the Nobel.

I also never got the fuss over Gao Xingjian - I could barely make it through half of Soul Mountain. If they had to award a Nobel to a person of Chinese descent, they'd have done better with Han Suyin.

vCash
    Liu Xiaobo has won the nobel peace prize. He does not know he has won because he is serving an 11 year prison sentence for writing a letter calling for more freedom and democracy. The Chinese government is not happy at all.

http://uktodaynews.com/9394/liu-xiao...ce-prize-2010/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Liu Xiaobo has won the nobel peace prize. He does not know he has won because he is serving an 11 year prison sentence for writing a letter calling for more freedom and democracy. The Chinese government is not happy at all.

http://uktodaynews.com/9394/liu-xiao...ce-prize-2010/
    That's an understatement. The Chinese government blacked out all news immediately, and told Norway that this would harm relations between the two countries. Norway responded rather snarkily.

Imprisoned Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo won the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for using nonviolence to demand fundamental human rights in his homeland.

[snip]

...Liu has been an ardent advocate for peaceful, gradual political change rather than confrontation with the government, unlike others in China's highly fractured and persecuted dissident community.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/nobel_peace_prize

Liu doesn't yet know, but his wife hopes to go to his prison tomorrow to tell him.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    I love that they still gave him the Nobel Prize, even after all the threats before. And Norway is a very (oil-)rich, very independent country, only marginally hit by the global economic downturn - I don't think that China could inflict much damage through economic measures. And geographically there is just one country between Norway and China, but that happens to be a rather large one.

vCash
    Several people texted me and emailed me in both Chinese and English today, and I saw two reports on CNN (and one on BBC), so I don't think the Yahoo! article is 100% accurate as far as the censoring goes. Two of my Chinese friends stood next to each other as they texted about it and the texts arrived without a problem. If China thinks it can do anything to harm Norway, I disagree, but I also think it's all talk.

A very deserving winner. Garr - his wife will go to the prison and tell him on Sunday.

I didn't enjoy Soul Mountain, and was surprised don't understand the awesome reviews.

vCash
    One of the most deserving winners. So glad they chose him and not a politician who has been actively involved in starting or prolonging a war, or at least has done nothing to deserve it, or a politician who won based on name recognition rather than action, as the committee has done in the past.

Unfortunately, this prize may actually cause more human rights activists to be arrested

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    That's an understatement. The Chinese government blacked out all news immediately, and told Norway that this would harm relations between the two countries. Norway responded rather snarkily.
    I can't find Norway's snark. The yahoo article has a nice and polite response from them. I wish they'd snark though.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I can't find Norway's snark. The yahoo article has a nice and polite response from them. I wish they'd snark though.
    I read their nice, polite response as an "As if".
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    He's been told now, but his wife has been put under house arrest

vCash
    And this morning, for economics, Peter Diamond (American - MIT - nominee for the Federal Reserve Board), Dale Mortenson (American - Northwestern), and Christopher Pissarides (British/Cyprus - LSE). Their work focuses on the difficulties matching up "buyers" and "sellers" in a search market, with special focus on the labor market. Specifically:

The laureates' models help us understand the ways in which unemployment, job vacancies and wages are affected by regulation and economic policy
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101011/...obel_economics

vCash
    Congratulations to Mr. Diamond, Mr Mortenson and Mr Pissarides. Well done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast