View Poll Results: Which section would you prefer?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Short Dance

23 22.33%
  • Compulsory Dance

29 28.16%
  • Original Dance

51 49.51%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Smile Poll: Short Dance/ Compulsories / Orginal Dance ?

The Short Dance has made its competitive debut! At the Courcheval JGP. There are videos on youtube if you have not already seen it. Having watched it, if you could chose between the new short dance, or compulsories or original dance for the first (of 2) part of competition which would you go for?

Personally I have been won over with the new short dance :-) Seems a lot more interesting and a good half way house between the compulsory and OD, interested to hear your thoughts.

vCash
    Well, I can't wait to see the Senior Short dances, but I'm sold on them, too, from watching the juniors. I love seeing the compulsory dance skated to less cheesy music! This works as far as I'm concerned. Looks like the coaches and the skaters have done a great job getting this out in competition. I agree it is more interesting and allows the skaters much more creativity while still using the compulsory elements.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    I accidentally voted for "Original Dance".

My vote should have been for "Short Dance".

vCash
    I am not sold on Short dance yet, watching Juniors. I'll miss the Original Dance ( thus the vote for it) But I'd love to be convinced- looking forward to seeing the Seniors.

vCash
    Dunno yet, I haven't really seen any short dance competitions yet.

But why no OSP option in the poll?

People also might want to distinguish between 1991-1998 ODs and 1999-2010 ODs, since there were major differences in the requirements between those two periods.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Dunno yet, I haven't really seen any short dance competitions yet.

But why no OSP option in the poll?

I don't know yet but I'd like the OSP back.Some of those were great T/D of course and K/P D/D in 89.

vCash
    It's not bad but i'll miss OD .

Small example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4PHfsle3BM

It's great that Andrey Bukin,s son is following his fathers footsteps .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vivika1982 View Post
    It's not bad but i'll miss OD .

Small example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4PHfsle3BM

It's great that Andrey Bukin,s son is following his fathers footsteps .
    ok...tango and walt do not go nice together... This is is nice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX7ptObyW5E

I want to see some senior short dances, but I think is nice idea
    here is some other short dances http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rt+dance+&aq=f

vCash
    I'm not convinced by the new hybrid yet either, for now I'm missing OD very much, because I really loved it, but who knows, I might actually get to like the SD as soon as I see some senior dances and mostly when I get used to it. The idea seemed crazy at first for me, but now I'm thinking of it, I guess it does bring back the idea of dance in ice dancing more than OD only. Of course I would have loved to stick with CD and OD, but choosing only one segment, for now I'm for the OD still, but I'm not hating the idea of SD as much as I did at the beginning.

vCash
    Since it seemed inevitable that the 3 segment ice dance was going away, the Short dance is a better option to me than eliminating the CDs altogether. I enjoyed watching the CD segment in the short dances I watched. It flowed better than I thought it would.

And the OSP? Glad to see those go. Three times around the same pattern wasn't thrilling for me. The only one I ever truly enjoyed was T&D's Paso Doble.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Maybe it's just that I haven't spent a lot of time watching jr dance, but all the short dances I watched were pretty awful. It was always obvious when they began and ended the CD pattern and none was able to integrate it into the rest of the choreography to make a very satisfactory whole. Some of these cuts between totally unrelated music reminded me of those mish-mosh style programs from the 1970s and 80s.

I think maybe part of the problem this year is that there is something about the waltz rhythm that just does not go well with SBS twizzles and those leg-thrusting, no touch step sequence. (I mean, the idea of skating in a straight line is pretty much antithetical to the waltz, no?) Maybe it is always going to be hard to make those look like they belong in the same dance as the golden waltz steps, with its deep lobes and swirling movements.

Hopefully, the seniors will have better luck with it, especially since they only have to do one pattern of the Golden.

Anyway, I vote for the OD as it existed in 91-98.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post

And the OSP? Glad to see those go. Three times around the same pattern wasn't thrilling for me. The only one I ever truly enjoyed was T&D's Paso Doble.
    K&P's OSP that became the Golden Waltz is probably one of my fav programs of all time. It's something that would never have been created as an OD or FD, so for that reason alone I still like OSPs.

vCash
    V&M are using Tango/Waltz/Tango, so I'm betting their required elements, including twizzles and step sequence, will be in the tango section.

I am very curious to see D&W waltz twizzling to Amelie, though-I'm interested to see what their attempt is to make twizzles look appropriate to a waltz.

vCash
    I'm back I missed FSU...

I'm not a big fan of thsi walts tango combination...2 diferent dances with completely difernte mood and style. I saw some of those Junior Short Dances that Valentina posted (Thanks Valentina) and I'm not to excited about it, I need to see some senior dances before a make up my mind. I guess the big deal with this short dance is try to make the transition from the CD pattern to the dance (Twizzel, stpe sequences etc) very smooth and nice...big chanlenge to choreographers.

vCash
    The senior SD's I saw at LPIDC were more interesting than the Juniors largely because the GW does not look as out of the place (because it is a lot harder than the vw) as the Viennese waltz, which I think is what the juniors are using, and it does not repeat (the jrs have to repeat their waltz).

vCash
    Maybe the ISU should come up with some new genre-appropriate compulsory step sequences because as much as I thought CDs were great as a standard to measure dancers by, a lot of the older dances really are anachronisms when juxtaposed with contemporary ice dancing.

vCash
    Why not figures integrated into short programs (loops, flowers, crosses...)? I'm serious.

vCash
    Why not figures integrated into short programs (loops, flowers, crosses...)
    When figures were competed, different sections of the ice were coned off for different skaters. The judges actually went onto the ice to examine the tracings to score them, and there was an ice remake before another figure was skated in that same area of the ice. I don't see how the figures could be scored with all the marks left by the rest of the program, even if the ice was remade before every skater. It just would not be very practical.

vCash
    Also, as far as I am aware, the complicated "special figures" like flowers and crosses were never competed at ISU championships, and only once at the Olympics, in 1908. There isn't a history of how to judge them in living memory, aside from the fact that they would have to be performed and judged on pristine ice.

It would be possible to require figures that were competed up to 1990, such as paragraph double threes or loop-change loops. There are plenty of judges and coaches still around who were intimately familiar with those. But the standards for judging them from a distance on scratched-up ice in the middle of a program would have to be completely different than they were in the original competition conditions as Susan M mentions.

vCash
    OD in its most recent incarnation was boring. It was just a shorter version of the FD, and in years when the selected rhythm was something like a tango, both the eyes and the ears would bleed. I'll miss CD. It didn't get televised often, but I thought it was interesting to get a direct comparison between the teams. I'm not sure how I feel about the SD yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast