Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    I don't know what I believe, but I know what I've seen and heard. My husband, my dog and I have all heard the sound of our cat, who died two years ago after almost 20 years with us, jumping off his favourite bookcase. It is a very distinctive and unmistakeable two-beat "ka-thud" followed by the tap-tap-tap of paws. I have only heard it once - my husband was there and heard exactly the same thing at the same time, and the dog also reacted. My husband has heard it on other occasions. Kitty has also pushed open our bedroom door, twice. Again my husband and I both experienced it - it wasn't just that the door opened - it was pushed with the same pressure, the same sound, the same "feeling" as the cat used. Can't explain it; don't care if others don't believe it; but I know that it happened.

vCash
    ^^^ Several days after my 17 year old cat passed, we were eating dinner in the dining room and all 3 of us heard a loud meow! My kitty always begged at the dinner table!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    I've had several premonitions, although I like Windspirits explanation for them.

A few weeks ago though, I was thinking about a former colleague who was ill and wondering how she was doing.

Two days later, I found out that she died on the day I had been thinking about her, and a few of my colleagues had also been thinking about her that day.

I think perhaps we sense things, even if we're not aware of it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I do believe there is extraterrestrial life, though maybe not what we would consider intelligent life in the universe. In fact I think it's probable that there is undiscovered "life" (however simple) in our own solar system. It's not like we have even discovered all of our own life forms on this planet. There are new discoveries all the time we are finding in our the deepest part of our oceans.

Although I think government conspiracies covering up UFO activity make for good movies and TV, it just doesn't seem too probable.

As for ghosts/spirits, I am less sure. Physics tell us that there is the possibiity for alternate universes, so perhaps we are surrounded by all this energy we can not normally see/grasp but we are occasionally affected by it?

I'd like to believe that the world isn't going to end in 2012 as the Mayan calendar predicts... however, if that is the only way to keep Plushy away from Sochi in 2014...
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    I do not have a superstitious bone in my body, and that extends to spirits and gods of any sort. I believe that we are what we are physically, and consciousness is an artifact of our brains, the mechanism of which we may understand in the not too distant future. When we die, we are as dead as any other living thing would be, and that is permanently dead and gone, IMO. If scientists believed in the supernatural, there would be no science, because any anomalous results would simply be written off as interference by spirits, forces, unknown energies. Instead, science seeks to explain the natural world and phenomena around us via experiments that can be replicated. There has never yet been an experiment that can replicate any supernatural event. If that should happen, then the event would no longer be supernatural, but would be explainable within the framework of science, and therefor be part of the natural world. As science has brought us the modern world we live in, replete with modern medicine and technology, I choose to believe that it works.

There is almost certainly other life in the universe, as it is huge beyond our ability to grasp, but I doubt very much that there would ever be contact with alien life - just too far away for that to happen within the span of human existence on Earth.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    I love watching Sylvia Browne and Jonathan Edwards. They have some kind of gift that cannot be a coincedence.
    I believe in premonitions of sorts (especially as someone explained that it is probably us picking up on subtle clues and hints we don't realize) but I absolutely do not believe in Sylvia Browne. She is a cold reader, a fake, a hoax, a con. All of the above. She has no gift, IMO.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I believe in the possibility of everything existing, however far-fetched it seems. I mean, why not?

A former co-worker once gave me a list of reasons why ghosts and other things don't exist, the chief among them being "no one can prove that they exist, even with all the technology we have." I then whipped out my thought-provoking question of,

Me: "Do you believe in God?"

Him: "Yes."

Me: "Then prove that He exists."

Him: "..."

But anyway, I for sure believe there are aliens, angels and ghosts (spirits). No, I haven't knowingly experienced any encounters. But I know many who have, including my step-grandmother seeing my actual grandmother on the first night being married to my grandfather. She apparently was smiling and nodding in approval at the choice he'd made.

For aliens, I also don't see how it's possible that we're the only life. All that space, all those planets, and we're it? I also think that there is undiscovered life in our solar system. No, life as we know it might not be able to live on Saturn (for example), but who's to say that there aren't species out there who are adapted to live in the conditions there? Anything is possible.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Ghosts, apparitions, reincarnation, etc: Yep. Seen more proof they exist than solid proof they don't. Their existence only would affect science if scientists DID in fact just write every mistake off as 'supernatural' (which is essentially what the quantum physicists do anyway--half of what they allege "exists' can't be proven except that if it didn't, their equation would be wrong, so the partical/wave/energy that they can't prove exists MUST exist, ignoring the far simpler explanation that their math and theories are wrong. Not to mention the dubious validity of any experiment where the simple fact of observing the experiment changes the results.)

As for aliens, though--I am fairly sure they exist. I do not think we have been visited, simply because the distance involved is such any race that figured out how to get that far probably has more valuable things to do with their time than cattle abductions and crop circles. If it's even possible to travel that far at all. Current physics means that seems very unlikley. So yes or no is ultimately not very relevant.

Angels, demons, etc: Jury is out for me on whether there are any facets of the supernatural that actually care about human behavior. As far as God--I accept there is an architect of the universe. I am not so sure that He is an involved deity. (Deism.) For me, anything that can create an experment on that scale has motivations which I'm unlikely to be able to comprehend anyway.

vCash
    If by "paranormal" or "supernatural", you mean outside natural, the answer is no. Nature, or 'existence' means all that exists. The phenomenon you have listed has been debunked by Houdini, The Amazing Randi, not to mention Penn & Teller. One must keep an open mind, of course. But an open mind must be an active mind; it can not simply serve as to collect any driftwood that comes along.

The flaw in declaring that there are things that are not just unknown as of yet, but are in fact unknowable, is that you would have to know enough about the subject to know that in fact it is unknowable, and why that is so. But then you have contradicted yourself.

vCash
    I haven't been face to face with any of these things, but do I think they exist, sure. The South is a pretty superstitious place, so the possibility of these things existing doesn't seem that out there for me. Every elderly person I know has a million "ghost" stories about things that happened when they were younger. I also know people who go to see "wise" women about their ailments.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    I've had several premonitions, although I like Windspirits explanation for them.

A few weeks ago though, I was thinking about a former colleague who was ill and wondering how she was doing.

Two days later, I found out that she died on the day I had been thinking about her, and a few of my colleagues had also been thinking about her that day.

I think perhaps we sense things, even if we're not aware of it.
    A little boy that I had taken care of for 18 months during his chemotherapy treatments and I had a particularly close relationship (in the nurse/patient realtionship). When he died, I woke from a deep sleep and called the nurses' station to ask when he had died - minutes before I called. I know that he came to me to say good-bye. When ever I drive by the cemetary where he is buried, I feel him saying hi to me. even 31 years later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    What are your thoughts on things that are paranormal or unexplained? Have you ever seen a Ghost or an Alien? Had a premonition? Do you think exorcisms are real? Or werewolves, angels, faeries, and yetis? Do you believe in any of it or think it's all hooey?

I think that yeti, werewolf, fairy, vampire and similar stories come from some kernel of truth that got exaggerated over time.

I do believe in the possibility of aliens. As several have already mentioned, the universe is a big place. We probably don't have the technology to meet up yet.

I keep an open mind on premonitions but I think most of them are due to us picking up clues subconsciously. Our brains fill in the details once the event takes place and we trick ourselves into thinking we foresaw more details than we really did.

I also keep an open mind about God/gods, ghosts, miracles, etc. I think there are a lot of things we can't explain. Someday we might be able to explain them but we also might not. I also think that we need something that can't be explained. I believe there is a part of human nature that needs to believe the impossible can happen. So I'm not sure how much of the paranormal is psychological versus real.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    Dreams are a little harder to rationalize. My favorite (that I can remember right now at least) would be a dream about my last entrance exam to a university. When I walked into that room and everything was almost exactly the same, including the people in there, I knew I was in.
    This exact thing happened to me. Except I didn't get in

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Avid Lurker View Post
    I don't know what I believe, but I know what I've seen and heard. My husband, my dog and I have all heard the sound of our cat, who died two years ago after almost 20 years with us, jumping off his favourite bookcase. It is a very distinctive and unmistakeable two-beat "ka-thud" followed by the tap-tap-tap of paws. I have only heard it once - my husband was there and heard exactly the same thing at the same time, and the dog also reacted. My husband has heard it on other occasions. Kitty has also pushed open our bedroom door, twice. Again my husband and I both experienced it - it wasn't just that the door opened - it was pushed with the same pressure, the same sound, the same "feeling" as the cat used. Can't explain it; don't care if others don't believe it; but I know that it happened.
    I LOVE this story!

vCash
    Yes, I do believe in ghosts. I've had two experiences with the same person appearing to me - once while he was in transition between this world and the next (he was brain dead and on life-support at the time and his mother who had been dead about 10 years at that time was with him) and once after he passed over.

Also, we have a ghost in our house who loves to walk up and down our second floor stairway and he/she isn't very quiet about it, either. Our cat is very, very responsive to this activity.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    What are your thoughts on things that are paranormal or unexplained?
    Just that–unexplained.
    Have you ever seen a Ghost or an Alien?
    Nope. Don’t think such things exist on our world. Though I think it’s a pretty good bet that intelligent life exists out there in the universe. Do I think they’ve visited us? No. Do I ‘believe” in UFOs? I’ve seen a couple, then they became IFOs. I find it hard to believe that an intelligent life form would try to sneak around in our skies, when it’s dark, with brilliant lights.
    Had a premonition?
    No.
    Do you think exorcisms are real? Or werewolves, angels, faeries, and yetis?
    Nope.
    Do you believe in any of it or think it's all hooey?
    The latter.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    no

vCash
    When I was in high school my mom and I lived in an apartment in an old house. There were some strange things that happened -- things went missing, clothes appeared in our bathroom, I would hear footsteps running up the stairs and no one was there. Several years after we moved out we heard that the house, specifically the upstairs, was supposedly haunted by a young man who had committed suicide 20 years before. It was definitely a strange experience.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    I think it's JUST possible that some kind of large creatures such as yetis might be wandering around undiscovered. But most of the undiscovered life forms on earth must be in the deep oceans, so it doesn't seem likely. The fact that there's no conclusive proof of such a large terrestrial life form probably means it doesn't exist.

However, if yetis do exist, then there's nothing "paranormal" about them. If we were to find them, they would be just another animal species (albeit a very intriguing one).

Fairies and werewolves? On the whole I try to keep an open mind about things we can't know, but find it astonishing that any educated adult in the 21st century could truly believe that they might really exist. The Cottingley Fairies story from 1917 England makes interesting reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottingley_Fairies

Of course, if people want to believe such things, then nothing will stop them.
    Last edited by orientalplane; 10-02-2010 at 09:34 PM.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Yes, I do. A few years ago, my brother and I were home alone, playing together in the living room, and suddenly we hear footsteps upstairs. I went to the kitchen and grabbed a rolling pin, we climbed the stairs to check it out, but no one/nothing was there.

Also, this was just a year ago, my parents' car started moving by it's self and it hit a pole. It was discovered that a woman "bewitched" my mother and the car. We called a healer (is that the right word?) and he healed my mother, because this woman was doing terrible things to my mother, like beating her up and pulling her hair, but only my mother could see her. According to my grandmother, things like this has happened to my mother in the past. This is more related to witches than to ghosts, so do you guys think witches exist?

The following was told by my friend, who was home alone, and she started hearing her mother's slippers, as if someone was walking with them on. Spooky!

Some of the stories told here gave me the chills!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast