Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Do you believe in anything Paranormal? Ghosts, Aliens, premonitions, etc?

So, since it is the 1st of October (Halloween coming up!), and I am watching Ghost Whisperer at the moment, I thought this would be a fun thread to have.

What are your thoughts on things that are paranormal or unexplained? Have you ever seen a Ghost or an Alien? Had a premonition? Do you think exorcisms are real? Or werewolves, angels, faeries, and yetis? Do you believe in any of it or think it's all hooey?

I am of the opinion that Aliens must exist. Maybe not in the form of little green men running around, but I think that statistically it makes sense for there to be some form of life out there. However, I'm doubtful that we will ever come into contact with them, and I'm extremely skeptical of abduction stories.

I tend to believe in ghosts as well... I think. Again, not Ghost Whisperer type apparitions that you can talk to and interact with, but more like imprints left in places that have very strong emotions, like battlefields or sites of gruesome murders. I can't say that I have ever had any personal experiences, though.

So please share! I must admit ghost stories and the like are a guilty pleasure of mine, even though I definitely don't believe all of them. I think whether you believe in the paranormal or not, it can be fun to speculate and possibly give yourself a bit of a scare.

vCash
    I used to but now I am not so sure. If aliens and ghost etc. were real, with all the electronic gadgets and such around these days, wouldn't someone have gotten solid proof of such by now? However my mom believes firmly in ghosts. She claims the house her famil purchased and moved into when she was a child had a ghost in one of the rooms. That room was never used as long as they lived in that house.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    I don't know about ghosts and aliens but I have had a lot of dreams about people I haven't heard from in awhile and then the next day they call. Kinda weird.

vCash
    I'm sure there are forces we don't know about...but I'm not going to say yes or no definitively until there's evidence that backs it up. I always say anything is possible. As for Aliens, there has to be some other life forms out in the universe. It's too expansive for there not to be. When it comes to Aliens I often wonder about something being kept from us by the Gov't, because it would cause an uproar if we actually made contact. Who knows. I like to think about it sometimes, and I hope that we make contact with an Alien race(that's hopefully friendly-ish) some day, but in the bigger picture I try not to get too far out with the possibilities. Better to let the known facts speak for themselves until something proves otherwise.

vCash
    Yes to all of the above and more

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Nope. Just God.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I do believe there is alien life out there, doesn't mean it is little green men but some kind of life is out there. I do not believe in ghosts. They can supposedly move objects, make noises only decipherable with the volume up really loudly but somehow they can't leave a note? I don't think so. Besides, by now we would have found some kind of proof. Premonitions? Absolutely, I think I have them from time to time but it could also be a really big coincidence. Mine aren't about anything important, just about mundane things that happen.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I am not sure that I would call them ghosts, but the spirits of loved ones certainly have been there for me. My grandma, my good friend, my daughter are among the guardian angels that I have.

I do believe that there are many things that we can not understand and that there must be life elsewhere in the universe. I believe in God, actually a very strong belief, but I can not see out of millions and billions of stars/etc. that we are the only people in the universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I am not sure that I would call them ghosts, but the spirits of loved ones certainly have been there for me. My grandma, my good friend, my daughter are among the guardian angels that I have.

I do believe that there are many things that we can not understand and that there must be life elsewhere in the universe. I believe in God, actually a very strong belief, but I can not see out of millions and billions of stars/etc. that we are the only people in the universe.
    I agree with numbers 100%.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    I believe anything's possible.

But premonitions, definitely. We all have them. Of course, some of us listen more than others.

vCash
    Yes to ghosts, aliens and sasquatch.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    Have you ever seen a Ghost or an Alien?
    No, and I hope I won't.

Had a premonition?
    Too many times to count. I wouldn't consider that a paranormal thing, though. I believe our brain is able to read many signals and cues that we're not consciously aware of.

Dreams are a little harder to rationalize. My favorite (that I can remember right now at least) would be a dream about my last entrance exam to a university. When I walked into that room and everything was almost exactly the same, including the people in there, I knew I was in.

Do you think exorcisms are real?
    I don't know but I'm rather skeptical about it.

Or werewolves, angels, faeries, and yetis?
    I don't believe in that.

I tend to believe in ghosts as well... I think. Again, not Ghost Whisperer type apparitions that you can talk to and interact with, but more like imprints left in places that have very strong emotions, like battlefields or sites of gruesome murders. I can't say that I have ever had any personal experiences, though.
    Oh you're talking about energy? I do believe that places and things retain energy. I'm rather sensitive to it myself as well as energy from other people. That's why some people tire me rather fast.

I once described a New Year's Eve party I spent in an apartment where someone's grandfather murdered someone (which I didn't know at the time). I was absolutely aware of an extra energy in the room. It wasn't a bad feeling, but very persistent. I could pinpoint it to a particular space. We were all sitting around a table (quite a few people) and at first I thought someone went to the bathroom or to get something, like you know someone in the house but you can't see them. When I started freaking people out I stopped mentioning it and just kept counting people quietly and they were all a the table. Yet I had a feeling there was something in the corner behind me.

They told me about the murder after that. In the morning I was alone, in bed, it was still dark. A huge balcony door opened and the curtains started to fly up and down. I don't like big pieces of fabrics moving like that, especially the noise they make. I was rather uncomfortable at that point, but I made myself get out of the bed and close the door. I went to another room and turned a stereo on. I felt like someone was there, but nothing really happened after that.

The most unexplainable thing that ever happened to me, though, was a regression session my friend gave me once. I don't really believe in that stuff so I don't know how to explain it. But I saw things, I heard things, I felt things, and yet I was always aware I was safe in that room with my friend. It was one of the most incredible things I've ever experienced and I'm very glad I did it, but I never wanted to do it again. It's supposed to take you back to the trauma of your previous deaths or something like that, and obviously it's not fun, especially if you died violently. I don't know if I went back to my "previous" lives or it was just a trick on my brain, but it did feel very real. I've never taken any drugs but it's probably like that with some of them.

INTJ
    vCash
    I definitely believe in spiritual beings here on earth. Whether you call them angels, demons, ghosts, whatever. I also think that there's A LOT about the universe that we don't know about and never will.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

vCash
    I guess I believe in most of what you listed. Fairies, Sasquatch/Yetis, and guardian angels are a yes. Not sure about Werewolves, but I consider it a possibility. My mother is Native American and I've grown up hearing stories about shape shifters, little people and the like, so my mind is very open to most supernatural possibilites.

I don't believe in a single all powerful god. I'm more inclined towards polytheistic concepts. I like the idea that there are like, tree and river spirits, and all that jazz.

I definitely believe in the exist of aliens. The universe is ginormous and it just doesn't make sense that we're the only intelligent life out there.

One thing I don't believe in, at least in the Catholic concept, is hell and heaven. I don't believe in in the devil or his legion of demons. I prefer an ancient Greek-like idea of an underworld that everyone goes to and you are given a judgement based on your behavior in life. It's not a black and white thing, Good=Heaven and Bad=Hell.

Okay, I'm stop blathering on now.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I believe that weird things happen and that the explanation is probably something even weirder.

Can you imagine how difficult trying to explain electricity- making things move with little particles that can't be seen- would be to someone in medieval times. People would think you were insane. And the first scientists to study vacuum were ridiculed.

The Fermi Paradox makes me not believe in Aliens.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I don't think it is surprising at all that we haven't contacted or been contacted (that we know of) by extraterrestrial life. First of all, life is not necessarily intelligent. Perhaps we are the only intelligent life in the universe? I doubt it but life may not be so advanced other places. Just this week scientists discovered another Earth like planet that orbits a star about 20 light years away. It is smack dab in the middle of the "habitable zone." It is very possible life is on that planet. Why is it so hard to believe that other life may have found us but not yet had the means to contact us? Even if we find a planet that very likely has life, if it is 20 light years away then we can not do much about it at the moment. The technology just isn't there yet. I think the assumption that all life "out there" is super smart and can travel the Universe at light speed is unrealistic and completely unfounded.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Ghosts, yes, there is one in my house (built 1910). I have had many people comment wihout prompting as to exactly what I've felt/"seen" (though I don't see it head-on, I do "see" something). And my cats are totally freaked every time, without fail.

Aliens, I do believe in, but glad I haven't seen one! There is no way we're "it" and there's nothing else. However, I did see a UFO in third grade...just not the ones behind the wheel, so to speak.

My only regret with spirits is that you can't call them up on demand, like your mom or a fave pet.... (((

vCash
    I've never seen a ghost myself but have met people who have - and I've no reason not to believe them.

Re aliens/life on other planets: Why not?

Re the paranormal: It exists but only some of us are in touch with it.

vCash
    I love watching Sylvia Browne and Jonathan Edwards. They have some kind of gift that cannot be a coincedence.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    There is so much about the universe that we don't know.

Why are the physics laws the way they are? Is there another universe made up with another set of physics laws? Did God decide on these law? Or did it just happen to be that way? When and how did the universe start? How do we define life? Maybe a star is a life? Maybe dark energy is a life? Maybe we live in a paradox somewhere and are being observed by some other beings?

Many answers to the secrets of the universe are probably some that none of us can imagine right now.

I don't know what to believe so I keep an open mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast