Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Kwan never won world silver as a 14 year old. Her first medal was gold, and she was 15 that year.
    Ooops my bad, she was 4th her first time at Worlds when she was 14. Still that was pretty impressive considering she was 14 and competing at senior worlds.

Her 3-3 was also more consistent when she was younger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Ooops my bad, she was 4th her first time at Worlds when she was 14. Still that was pretty impressive considering she was 14 and competing at senior worlds.

Her 3-3 was also more consistent when she was younger.
    I'm pretty sure Kwan went to Worlds as a 13 y.o., finishing 8th.
    Went as a 14 y.o. and finished 4th.
    Went as a 15 y.o. and finished 1st.

vCash
    alissa czisny and rachael flatt.

vCash
    My pick is Christina Gao.

Alissa Czisny has many redeeming qualities (as Scott Hamilton always points out) but she's been around the better part of a decade now without any real improvements in her consistency. With one fewer spin and no spiral sequence, her TES will suffer as well.

Rachael is steady but I think she's being held back by her music choices and choreography, particularly in her long programs. They're just so bland and lethargic. I think she had better expression/projection as a 12- and 14-year-old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xzvEfa_MKc (novice exhibition)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hvYIYkNjfM (senior debut)

I'm also pleased with the improvements to Caroline Zhang's skating. I think she's matured a lot both mentally and physically.
    Last edited by all_empty; 10-22-2010 at 06:32 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post

Alissa Czisny ..... With one fewer spin and no spiral sequence, her TES will suffer as well.

Sticking my neck out here and may get sent to my room by asking a dumb question, but "one fewer and no" compared to what?
    One "fewer and no" compared to all her competitors this season?
    One "fewer and no" due to a rule change that affects only Alissa?
    One "fewer spin and no " compared to her performances in the past?
    (you have already seen her new SP and LP for this season?)

I've always been frustrated by her "one fewer" triple jump....and now this?

Last edited by geod2; 10-22-2010 at 07:30 PM.

vCash
    I like the way you think . I'm really excited to see how both she and Yasmin place at the JGPF, if Christina can manage to beat a decent skating Adelina or Liza there, I will be even more impressed.

vCash
    geod2, they dropped the 4th spin in the free skate two seasons ago.

This season, there's no spiral sequence in the short and only a set spiral value in the free skate (with GOE, of course).

The rule changes affect all competitors, but since spins and spirals are such big point bonuses for Alissa, it'll impact her score.

vCash
    Alissa Czisny... With one fewer spin and no spiral sequence, her TES will suffer as well.

geod2, they dropped the 4th spin in the free skate two seasons ago.
    This season, there's no spiral sequence in the short and only a set spiral value in the free skate (with GOE, of course).
    The rule changes affect all competitors, but since spins and spirals are such big point bonuses for Alissa, it'll impact her score.
    Got it.
    I misread your original comment as 2 changes that happened at the same time.
    I had forgotten about the spins change 2 yrs ago, and never thought of Alissa's spirals as giving her that much of an advantage,
    ...so I didn't connect the dots as you did.
    You bring up an interesting point...thanx for clarifying.
    I hope Alissa can do well anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geod2 View Post
    Got it.
    I misread your original comment as 2 changes that happened at the same time.
    I had forgotten about the spins change 2 yrs ago, and never thought of Alissa's spirals as giving her that much of an advantage,
    ...so I didn't connect the dots as you did.
    You bring up an interesting point...thanx for clarifying.
    I hope Alissa can do well anyway.

Well you know what, Carolina and Tomas seem to be doing well so far this season so why not Alissa too?

vCash
    as someone who likes mirai endlessly better I seriously cringe everytime I see comments bashing rachael for being fat and how she needs to quit..some comments go above and beyond in hating her which shocks me cos it's not as if she's even that famous or noteworthy yet she already has so many vile haters...the comments on her nationals performances omg..so mean!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    as someone who likes mirai endlessly better I seriously cringe everytime I see comments bashing rachael for being fat and how she needs to quit..some comments go above and beyond in hating her which shocks me cos it's not as if she's even that famous or noteworthy yet she already has so many vile haters...the comments on her nationals performances omg..so mean!
    ITA. I thought Rachael did a great job this weekend at NHK.

Looking at the scores put up by the ladiezz this weekend though, I still have my money on Gao.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    ITA also. I think Mirai is just delightful and she's my favorite US Lady to watch right now. But, I liked Rachael Flatt the first time I saw her, and I still like her. She did the US proud at NHK. And she strikes me as someone who is admirable. So, I get pretty put off by the comments that don't show respect for her. I figure those comments tell me more about the commentator than about the skater.

And also... Yes to this new gal, Gao. Very promising.

But to go back to the original question:
    Mirai & Flatt = tops right now ... only my humble opinion, of course.

vCash
    I think the way the U.S. ladies are right now, there is no definitave best. Skaters A and B are the best this month; Skaters C and D will be the best next month. I think it will be quite a while before the U.S. is like the Canadians, with one BEST lady skater.
    And would that even be desirable?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    Skaters A and B are the best this month; Skaters C and D will be the best next month. I think it will be quite a while before the U.S. is like the Canadians, with one BEST lady skater.
    And would that even be desirable?
    Yep...
    ...we've had, and continue to have, a Ladies "Flavor of the Month" going on here.

vCash
    We can say FOR NOW that it's Rachael Flatt, and you know what? I think it may remain that way for the rest of the season, contrary to a lot of people's expectations.. unless Alissa pulls off something huge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    We can say FOR NOW that it's Rachael Flatt, and you know what? I think it may remain that way for the rest of the season, contrary to a lot of people's expectations.. unless Alissa pulls off something huge.
    You're claiming that Alissa is likely the only one who could possibly upset Rachael? The only US senior girls we've even seen this season are Ashley, Rachael, Caroline, and Christina on the JGP. It's way too early to believe that Rachael is the only one with a realistic chance and Alissa is the only one with an outside shot.

vCash
    I like Mirai, but I'm not convinced that she is unquestionably the best US ladies' skater right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    You're claiming that Alissa is likely the only one who could possibly upset Rachael? The only US senior girls we've even seen this season are Ashley, Rachael, Caroline, and Christina on the JGP. It's way too early to believe that Rachael is the only one with a realistic chance and Alissa is the only one with an outside shot.
    We've also seen Yasmin Siraj, Kristiene Gong and Kiri Baga on the JGP. All three will be skating senior at Nationals. As of now, both Gao and Siraj have scored higher this season than Flatt did at NHK, but it's still very early.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    We've also seen Yasmin Siraj, Kristiene Gong and Kiri Baga on the JGP. All three will be skating senior at Nationals. As of now, both Gao and Siraj have scored higher this season than Flatt did at NHK, but it's still very early.
    It's absolutely pointless to compare scores in the junior ranks with scores in the senior ranks. Entirely different pools of competitors and junior level judges are more lenient than senior level judges. More is expected of a senior level competitor than a junior level competitor.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 10-28-2010 at 03:10 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    It's absolutely pointless to compare scores in the junior ranks with scores in the senior ranks.
    Tell that to the ISU then. They don't distinguish between Senior and Junior international scores on their Season Best lists.

Compilation of SB scores so far this season, including the Senior B comps (not included by ISU): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=75343

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast