Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Well, as a fan of Rachael I can say that I thoroughly enjoy her skating. I'll admit that she certainly is not the most graceful or engaging skater there is, but I admire her athleticism, determination, and the joy she radiates while she is performing. It wouldn't really be fair to generalize all skating fans as unimpressed.
    I agree with this!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Well, as a fan of Rachael I can say that I thoroughly enjoy her skating. I'll admit that she certainly is not the most graceful or engaging skater there is, but I admire her athleticism, determination, and the joy she radiates while she is performing. It wouldn't really be fair to generalize all skating fans as unimpressed.
    This is how I feel, although I'm usually not fond of skaters like her. She has something so natural. And it seems she worked really hard and is happy to be where she is.

vCash
    Count me as someone else who likes Rachael. She certainly has weaknesses, but I find her skating enjoyable. Her enthusiasm on the ice and evident love for skating always makes me want to root for her.

vCash

US Ladies Field Deep?

Well the US Ladies Field may be "Deep" but so is a cow barn! Deep in manure!

Not an inspiring skater in the bunch.

IMHO it will be 3-5 more years before we get some inspiration from a US lady.

The US Men and Dance are far more impressive!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicSkateFan View Post
    Well the US Ladies Field may be "Deep" but so is a cow barn! Deep in manure!

Not an inspiring skater in the bunch.

IMHO it will be 3-5 more years before we get some inspiration from a US lady.

The US Men and Dance are far more impressive!
    Idk, Mirai is pretty inspiring. And I see great potential in Christina and Yazmin, maybe even Agnes. Sure Flatt, Wagner, Zhang, Czisny are all kind of boring, but they aren't the future of the sport. There's a lot of talent coming up through the ranks, I mean look what Vanessa Lam did last week, winning gold and beating Polina Shelepen at her JGP debut!

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Sure Flatt, Wagner, Zhang, Czisny are all kind of boring, but they aren't the future of the sport.
    Your opinion only; by no means factual. In particular, I don't find Ashley and Alissa boring at all. What crystal ball tells you that one of these skaters won't be a future star?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Your opinion only; by no means factual. In particular, I don't find Ashley and Alissa boring at all. What crystal ball tells you that one of these skaters won't be a future star?
    No crystal ball necessary. Ashley and Rachael have been senior ladies for three whole years now. They're pushing 20; they're practically hags. As for Alissa, she's an old crone of 23, gasp and clutch the pearls. She's practically dead. Only ladies barely out of the junior league have a chance in PinkyWorld.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    No crystal ball necessary. Ashley and Rachael have been senior ladies for three whole years now. They're pushing 20; they're practically hags. As for Alissa, she's an old crone of 23, gasp and clutch the pearls. She's practically dead. Only ladies barely out of the junior league have a chance in PinkyWorld.

vCash
    Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! Yes, judging by pinky166's posts, the IOC has already etched Christina Gao's name on the 2014 Olympic gold medal (which hasn't even been created yet). @ your post . . . thanks for the needed laugh!

vCash
    The thing is Wagner has been injury-free for the past quadrennial (which is a major accomplishment considering many other senior ladies), so she definitely has at least one more quadrennial left in her. Not sure about Flatt though--her jumps seem to be falling apart. But we'll see....

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Not sure about Flatt though--her jumps seem to be falling apart. But we'll see....
    Flatt didn't have a good SP in her most recent competition, Colorado Springs Invitational in September, but she reportedly landed 7 triples in her FS (2A+3T, 3Lz+2Lo, 3F, 3Lz, 3F+2T+2Lo, 3Lo, 3S) and scored 117.21.

Agnes Zawadzki had a very good SP (60.48) but a not-as-good FS (97.00) at SW Regionals last week. It will be interesting to see how she does in her GP debut at Skate Canada.

vCash
    Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! Yes, judging by pinky166's posts, the IOC has already etched Christina Gao's name on the 2014 Olympic gold medal (which hasn't even been created yet). @ your post . . . thanks for the needed laugh!
    Precisely .

In other countries maybe female skaters continue to compete and do well through their late 20s, but in the US, it seems like most skaters find success very young. I mean, Michelle Kwan, Tara Lipinski, Sarah Hughes, Kimmie Meissner, Emily Hughes....they achieved their biggest titles when they were around 16. Sasha won silver at the Olympics when she was 21, but was much better IMO when she was 15, 16, 17. Alissa already had her great season - it was in 2005, when she was 18. Caroline may never recapture the glory she won during her junior days. Flatt and Wagner are good but come 2014 there will probably be a boatload of skaters comparable to them. There is just so much competition in the US.

I honestly think the 2014 Olympic team will consist of Christina, Mirai and either Yasmin or Agnes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    The thing is Wagner has been injury-free for the past quadrennial (which is a major accomplishment considering many other senior ladies), so she definitely has at least one more quadrennial left in her. Not sure about Flatt though--her jumps seem to be falling apart. But we'll see....
    Flatt does this. Her jumps aren't there at the beginning of the season, and then come nationals and Worlds she's consistently hitting 3-3s and 7 triple LPs. She's good at peaking at the right time.

Ashley has been injury free for the past 4 years but hasn't really done much, which is what concerns me. I think her tendency to make mistakes in the SP results in her being marked more harshly in the FS, where she usually skates well. If she could become a better SP skater, I think she'd be able to earn marks in the FS that are quite competitive on the international stage.

vCash
    In other countries maybe female skaters continue to compete and do well through their late 20s, but in the US, it seems like most skaters find success very young. I mean, Michelle Kwan, Tara Lipinski, Sarah Hughes, Kimmie Meissner, Emily Hughes....they achieved their biggest titles when they were around 16.
    Pray tell, what big title did Emily Hughes ever win?

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash

I honestly think the 2014 Olympic team will consist of Christina, Mirai and either Yasmin or Agnes.
    I remember in fall of 2006, some people honestly thought the 2010 Olympic team would consist of Zhang, Meissner and Cohen.

But I like your picks for 2014. That's if the US gets 3 spots back.
    Last edited by AliasJohnDoe; 10-21-2010 at 07:29 PM.

vCash
    Pray tell, what big title did Emily Hughes ever win?

Nothing, but she did very well for herself, medaling at US nationals 2 years in a row, going to Worlds twice and finishing in the top 10 both times, making the 06 Olympic team and finishing 7th, winning bronze at Junior Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    I remember in fall of 2006, some people honestly thought the 2010 Olympic team would consist of Zhang, Meissner and Cohen.
    True story. There's so much talent coming up in the junior ranks in the U.S., that I don't think anybody is a sure bet to make the next Olympic team...four years before it's actually going to happen.

vCash
    Precisely .

In other countries maybe female skaters continue to compete and do well through their late 20s, but in the US, it seems like most skaters find success very young. I mean, Michelle Kwan, Tara Lipinski, Sarah Hughes, Kimmie Meissner, Emily Hughes....they achieved their biggest titles when they were around 16. Sasha won silver at the Olympics when she was 21, but was much better IMO when she was 15, 16, 17. Alissa already had her great season - it was in 2005, when she was 18. Caroline may never recapture the glory she won during her junior days. Flatt and Wagner are good but come 2014 there will probably be a boatload of skaters comparable to them. There is just so much competition in the US.

Whaaa? Yeah Michelle won nationals and worlds when she was 15 but 5 of her national titles came in her 20's and two of her world titles came in her 20's (2001 and 2003)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    Whaaa? Yeah Michelle won nationals and worlds when she was 15 but 5 of her national titles came in her 20's and two of her world titles came in her 20's (2001 and 2003)
    She still won nationals and Worlds as a 15 year old, and World silver as a 14 year old. She was one of the few skaters lucky enough to have a long period of success in her career. Most of the time, these teenage girls are on a roll for a year or two and then something happens and they can never get back to the top, or they dissappear entirely, like Katy Taylor.

vCash
    Kwan never won world silver as a 14 year old. Her first medal was gold, and she was 15 that year.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast