Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    I like Siraj far more than I like Gao, but I think it's a bit early to make predictions. She's done wonderfully on the JGP, but she's still very, very tiny, with jump technique that isn't necessarily all that good. I'm just enjoying her skating for now....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I kind of group Alissa and Bebe into the same category - lots of talent, but never really made it on the international scene due to chronic inconsistent performances.

Emily is similar to Rachael Flatt in that I feel in a sense they are both tier 2 overachievers, and it's too bad because they delivered so many times but it's just like the international judges would never quite give them the marks to be up there with the very top ladies no matter how well they skated.

For some reason I feel like Agnes may become the next Alexe Gilles....strong jumper, won the national junior title, had lots of success on the junior stage, and then became inconsistent on the senior stage (presumably due to being quite tall). I hope she can make a splash this season though!

Caroline is a question mark in my mind, she has an awful lot of things she needs to work on and I'm just afraid even when/if she fixes them, some other girls will just be better than her and she won't really stand a chance.

Christina has a lot of potential to be the next big thing but could also end up like Ashley Wagner and just never be considered one of the top skaters in the mind of the international judges and therefore struggle to win medals at major ISU championships on the senior level.
    Interesting analysis....... Only time will tell. But the PCS that Gao has received on the JGP is very favorable to her moving up the ranks. And with Orser as her coach, she may come up right near the Olympic year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Interesting analysis....... Only time will tell. But the PCS that Gao has received on the JGP is very favorable to her moving up the ranks. And with Orser as her coach, she may come up right near the Olympic year.
    Her scores in Graz were very promising, she scored higher there than Czisny, Zhang, and Wagner usually score at senior competitions, so Christina may be able to leapfrog over a bunch of girls and be a medal favorite with a good shot at making the world team come nationals.

I like Siraj a lot too, but she is soo little, like Polina Agafonova sized, so I think she's one we'll really have to "wait and see" with. I'd be less worried if she had really strong jump technique but while her jumps get good height they aren't textbook perfect so she may have a tough time with puberty. But for now, I love her and she's great.

Not many people have mentioned Kiri Baga here. I think she has potential but the field just seems so deep now that I'm afraid she'll get lost in the shuffle.

vCash
    I'm interested to see how Kiri places in Greensboro. I think she definitely is capable of landing in the top 8, but she can't be falling on 2A's if she wants to do that.

However, I am encouraged by the fact that she landed both the 3Lz clean (twice) and the 3F clean in Japan last weekend, as well as the 3Lo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    I'm interested to see how Kiri places in Greensboro. I think she definitely is capable of landing in the top 8, but she can't be falling on 2A's if she wants to do that.

However, I am encouraged by the fact that she landed both the 3Lz clean (twice) and the 3F clean in Japan last weekend, as well as the 3Lo.
    Yeah I've noticed she seems to have lots of problems with the 2a, as does her training partner Kate Charbonneau, I find it kind of surprising, as the 2a is an easy jump for most people. Kiri has great flexibility and spins but if she doesn't get her jump consistency together she could very well end up being the next Czisny. She doesn't seem to get that nervous in competition though which is a good sign, the thing I've more noticed with her is that when she makes mistakes early on in the program, it sort of sucks the life out of her and her presentation suffers a lot and usually she makes more mistakes on top of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I like Siraj far more than I like Gao, but I think it's a bit early to make predictions.
    I think Yasmin has guaranteed herself a spot in the Final. Christina has a tough event coming up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    I think Yasmin has guaranteed herself a spot in the Final. Christina has a tough event coming up.
    Christina could finish 4th in Dresden and still qualify for the Final. Based on the scores and technical content she showed in Graz, I'm not too worried.

vCash
    Yeah I've noticed she seems to have lots of problems with the 2a, as does her training partner Kate Charbonneau, I find it kind of surprising, as the 2a is an easy jump for most people. Kiri has great flexibility and spins but if she doesn't get her jump consistency together she could very well end up being the next Czisny. She doesn't seem to get that nervous in competition though which is a good sign, the thing I've more noticed with her is that when she makes mistakes early on in the program, it sort of sucks the life out of her and her presentation suffers a lot and usually she makes more mistakes on top of that.
    The thing about Kiri's double axel is that she pitches her back WAY too forward before takeoff. Your shoulders have to be behind the knee in order for the trajectory of the leg to be correct and for the axis of rotation to be straight. No wonder she has such consistency problems on the axel.

But yeah, Kiri has a lot of potential but she's someone that hasn't really sunk into our minds yet.
    Last edited by smarts1; 10-05-2010 at 02:20 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Maybe Czisny will do a Nikodinov .... and have the same kind of turn-around. That was certainly gorgeous to behold.
    We've heard it before, but Alissa seems to think so:

http://worldskating.blogspot.com/201...be-better.html

I'm not too sure if the snarky comment on the following link below is legit (or even how legit the blog itself is....snark factor of 11 on a scale of 1-10, but a lot of interesting stuff).
    I truly hope that she can eventually leave competitive FS on a higher note than her 2010 Nationals meltdown.

"Alissa Czisny claims that Yuka and Jason have completely changed her jump technique (how many people has she claimed have done that now?) She has two new programs. The real question is whether or not she underwent a lobotomy during the offseason."

(I assume the lobotomy comment is regarding Alissa overthinking her jumps during competition).

http://auntjoycesicecreamstand.blogs...lissa%20Czisny (middle of the page)

vCash
    I sort of doubt Alissa will have a turnaround because what sets her apart from other inconsistent skaters like Kostner, Lepisto, Verner, and Abbott is that they are all good jumpers and she is not. I mean, if Alissa had a killer 3lz-3t and still was scoring like she usually does it would be different, because we'd know she was physically capable of jumping really well. Further, she tends to mess up on the same jumps most of the time - the 3f, the second 3lz, and the 3lo. This speaks to a technique issue, obviously her nerves don't help the situation, but she simply does not have very strong jump technique.

If you look at someone like Kostner, she is capable of 3f-3t-2lo and 2a-3t, and when she struggles in her programs, it's not always on the same jumps. The same thing can be said of Verner who has a killer 4t-3t, he is prone to mistakes, but if you look at those performances, sometimes he messes up on the 4t, sometimes he messes up on 3a, sometimes on various other jumps at the end of the program, but he's not always messing up on the same jumps. I think those two, along with Lepisto and Abbott who have similar issues, are more likely to make a turnaround than Alissa is because they have better jump technique and are capable of difficult jump combinations, they just have to battle the mental aspect. For Alissa, she needs to battle the technical aspect AND the mental aspect simultaneously, which is hard to do.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    The way I see it, Alissa's best triples are Lutz and toe. The Salchow is nonexistent. She habitually has trouble under-rotating 3flip and 3loop. I think her LP layout should be:

3loop
    3Lutz+2toe
    3flip
    x3Lutz
    x3toe+2toe+2loop
    x2Axel+2Axel sequence
    x3toe

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    The way I see it, Alissa's best triples are Lutz and toe. The Salchow is nonexistent. She habitually has trouble under-rotating 3flip and 3loop. I think her LP layout should be:

3loop
    3Lutz+2toe
    3flip
    x3Lutz
    x3toe+2toe+2loop
    x2Axel+2Axel sequence
    x3toe
    She struggles with the 2nd lutz late in the program a lot. And she rarely hits 3 jump combinations and I don't think she's ever done one with a 2lo on the end.

A smart layout might be:

3lz-2t-2t
    3f
    3lo
    3lz
    x 3t-2t
    x 2a-2a
    x 3t

But that doesn't have the most competitive base value. She may also benefit from doing what Cynthia Phaneuf has done in the SP, replace the solo jump from a 3f to a 3t. I know it lowers the base value but if it means a clean short then it's probably worth it to make the switch.

vCash
    Oh and under the new system, what is worth more, a 2a-2a sequence or a 2a-2t combo? With combinations now receiving extra points and sequences still worth 80% and the 2a now with a lower base value, is the difference in value between those two significantly different?

ETA 2a-2t is worth 5.17 base value and 2a-2a seq is 5.81 so the difference is only about half a point so it really comes down to which the skate can perform better. If Alissa can do a nice 2a-2t it may garner her more points than an okay 2a-2a seq.

vCash

If you look at someone like Kostner, she is capable of 3f-3t-2lo
    That's a powerful combination. I've seen practice videos, but has any lady done a triple-triple-triple in actual competition?

vCash
    That's a powerful combination. I've seen practice videos, but has any lady done a triple-triple-triple in actual competition?
    Mao did it in national competition in 2002, I believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Mao did it in national competition in 2002, I believe.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIdRD...elated#t=1m24s

The loop and especially the toe were severely under-rotated, however.

vCash
    Shizuka Arakawa was doing it in practices at the Torino Olympics. Here's a video of Miki doing 3lz-3lo-3lo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGe1XuIGUQs&feature=fvw , although both 3lo look like they may be UR. Still though, really cool!

vCash
    Even though it probably won't happen, I'm still hoping that Alissa will fix her head and skate consistently. Her spins are so gorgeous. Good luck this season Alissa.

vCash
    Love Alissa, but her jumps were always a major hurdle she couldn't quite get over.

As far as I know, Mirai is the only U.S. lady right now who has shown to be capable of delivering a great skate internationally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKPRINCESS View Post
    Love Alissa, but her jumps were always a major hurdle she couldn't quite get over.

As far as I know, Mirai is the only U.S. lady right now who has shown to be capable of delivering a great skate internationally.
    And Christina Gao . She skated great at her first JGP this season, and that is an international competition. Rachael also delivered at 09 Worlds, 09 SA, and 10 Olympics (to the blind eye).

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast