Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    What a weird mishap. How sad for them To know in September that their season is over (unless there's a miraculous recovery) must be as depressing as the injury itself.

A bright side is that if you're going to tear your Achilles, tearing it a few months after the Olympics is better than tearing it a few months before. I'm guessing he'll be able to make a full recovery and be back next season, but still.. Very sad.

vCash
    This sucks on so many levels. Trying to find a glimmer of "bright side" to it, at least this didn't happen a year ago and knock them out of the Olympics. And I hope the time off the ice allows the fractures in his spine to completely heal. But it still sucks.

vCash
    This is really too bad... and I'm just thinking that with S/B out, US probably won't be able to get 3 spots for Worlds 2012...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    My memory is fuzzy, but I think Hongbo Zhao said it took him two years. I do remember that he had to have his boots specially made, so they'd fit after his injury.
    Had Zhao injured his Achilles tendon in the same way? Was it his landing foot?

vCash
    Aww, no! I love Emily/Evan and was getting really excited for their FD. Hope Evan has a speedy recovery.

vCash
    I feel so bad for both of them, and wish him a speedy recovery!

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Bates in icenetwork article
    "It seems like it's going to be a difficult road to recovery, probably six months,'' he said. "But hopefully, I'm a freak and I'll recover super fast."
    I hope you're a freak and recover super fast too, Evan!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by letsskate View Post
    This is really too bad... and I'm just thinking that with S/B out, US probably won't be able to get 3 spots for Worlds 2012...

Well if there are no splatfest Davis and White won't be lower than 2nd so the other team just needs to place 10th or 11th which is between range of possibility for both Chock&Zuerlein and the Shibutanis.

Very sad about Bates, I just cringe eveytime I think about the blade slicing through an achilles tendom ouch. But this will certainly shake the things up in the US dance scene.

vCash
    Aww, I am so bummed. I was so looking forward to seeing them. I wish Evan a speedy recovery and big hugs to the both of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Had Zhao injured his Achilles tendon in the same way? Was it his landing foot?
    No, IIRC, he was just landing a 3T and it gave out/ruptured (landing foot). I don't think it was on a pair move. I think it happened in something like September and he somehow made it to the Olympics, finding other ways to keep his fitness up and doing lifts while being in a chair.

Also IIRC he only started jumping 2As and 3Ts just a few weeks before Olympics. Beyond miraculous he went to Torino.

Now that I've blithered away I'll go investigate....

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    No, IIRC, he was just landing a 3T and it gave out/ruptured (landing foot). I don't think it was on a pair move.
    It was practicing a new (or revived) jump for the team. The rules changed for the 2006 Olympic season to limit the number of repeated jumps, and Shen/Zhao were working towards that change when he was injured.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    No, IIRC, he was just landing a 3T and it gave out/ruptured (landing foot).
    Thanks. Then I hope Evan's is a "cleaner" injury that can be fixed more easily with surgery.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    So sorry to hear about "other Evan"..I wish him a speedy recovery. I really like S and B and am looking forward to seeing them compete.

vCash
    Awful news I hope he can recover quickly
    Zorry my english, I´m a verrrrrry rude spaÑish

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    Well if there are no splatfest Davis and White won't be lower than 2nd so the other team just needs to place 10th or 11th which is between range of possibility for both Chock&Zuerlein and the Shibutanis.
    Personally, I'm hoping the Hubbells get one of the other 2 worlds spots. They, D&W and the Shibs would be fine. I just don't care for C&Z.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Evan Bates is quoted on the topic of what currently looks like a season-ending injury in this Detroit Free Press article: Skater Evan Bates out six months with severed Achilles
    Eeeuuuugh that's giving me the willies. I hope they stay strong and don't rush recovery - as people mentioned, it's the beginning of a new Olympic cycle so there's really no need to injure yourself further in recovery.

vCash
    Oh, poor Evan! I can't believe that they are going to be out for the season. I really hope that Evan makes a full recovery and that they are able to come back better than ever next season. And selfishly I hope they keep their Free Dance because it already looked like it was going to be wonderful.

vCash
    So sad. I do love Emily & Evan's dancing. He is also my favorite tweeter among the top skaters.

The rules changed for the 2006 Olympic season to limit the number of repeated jumps, and Shen/Zhao were working towards that change when he was injured.
    I think they were working on a 3T-3T combination when Zhao ruptured his achilles (the only way they could repeat the same triple under the revised rules).

On the plus side, it is easier for surgeons to make a good repair on a tendon that has been cut with a sharp blade than one that is ruptured.

vCash
    Shit that probably means this season is over for them.

vCash
    Oh My God. That's so horrible
    I hope he is able to fully recovery
    Last edited by meteor16; 09-30-2010 at 12:26 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast