Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Heal fast, Howdy! I'll miss you on the GP, and will send good vibes toward your being healed and back in competition soon.

If S&B cannot be to par by Worlds, fingers crossed that some other team (Hubbells?) will take some big steps up an be D&W's deputies.

vCash
    Surgery at the end of this week, either Thurs or Fri.
    He spent most of the day yesterday seeing the best docs at the Univ hospital
    Emily's blade slipped inside Evan's boot in the back during a dismount.
    Incredibly unfortunate....they are a wonderful team!
    Keeping fingers crossed for successful surgery and speedy speedy recovery.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    eeeeeeeeeeeek. Achilles injuries skeeve me out

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Evan. SamBates is one of my favorite dance teams.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Speedy recovery for Evan!

vCash
    Speedy recovery for Evan! And support for Emily. What a rotten break for a wonderful team- wishing with all my heart that things turn out OK.

vCash
    Oh, that's awful. I hope he's able to recover okay and isn't in too much pain. I really like Emily and Evan and hate seeing something like this happen to them.

vCash
    Bates sidelined after injuring Achilles in practice http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

vCash
    6 months. Sad news.

vCash
    I don't know - it looks like they could miss Nationals with that kind of injury. How very unfortunate Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

vCash
    I have read that surgical techniques have improved for achilles injuries, at least as compared to what they were like in the 80s. So hopefully he will be able to make a complete recovery.

((((((((((((((S&B))))))))))))
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Evan Bates is quoted on the topic of what currently looks like a season-ending injury in this Detroit Free Press article: Skater Evan Bates out six months with severed Achilles
    Evan Bates of Ann Arbor will undergo surgery Thursday to repair his left Achilles tendon, which was injured in a “freak accident” during training Tuesday at the Arctic Figure Skating Club in Canton.

Bates said he expects to be off the ice up to six months.

“It wasn’t dangerous at all,” Bates said of the lift. “The heel of Emily’s skate came down and got me on the Achilles, and it severed. It was just above the top of the boot. It was a strange feeling. I could feel that something was wrong; I thought my blade had fallen off.”
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-29-2010 at 08:21 PM.

vCash
    Here is another news article. This one says the tendon is severed.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010092...h-cut-Achilles

vCash
    This team has really had some rotten luck. I was so looking forward to their new free dance, too.

vCash
    I'd say likely out for the season -- off the ice "up to" six months makes it unlikely that he'd be back on the ice and in full training much before March even under the best of circumstances. I hope that they take it really slow and carefully, and that he's able to come back like Hongbo did in whatever time it takes. Very, very tough.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Ahh, I'm getting sympathy pains just thinking about injuring achilles tendons. I hope it wasn't too traumatic for S/B and anyone else witnessing it. So sad - Meryl's twitter had something written in either Japanese/Chinese yesterday, I can't tell, which google translate translated to "sad thing." I'm thinking it's this. I was so looking forward to S/B's FD especially, guess we will have to wait. It must be frustrating to be so close to the start of the season and for this to happen.

I guess this is a reminder to always root for teams to be healthy and injury-free, forget placements!

vCash
    Aww...I feel so bad for them. I hope he fully recovers.

vCash
    Evan and Emily are such great competitors and sweet people. I wish them both well for the recovery. I know it's Evan's injury but they're a team so they'll go through this together.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    The Icenetwork article has been updated with quotes from Evan Bates: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    When reached on his cell phone Wednesday afternoon, Bates said he remained in a "state of shock'' from the accident, but maintained much of his trademark good humor.

"I'm doing pretty well,'' Bates said before adding with a dry laugh, "for being immobilized.''
    This injury isn't the first one the couple has experienced. Back in 2007 at the World Junior Championships, Samuelson fell during the free dance and Bates accidentally stepped on her, slicing a tendon in the middle finger of her left hand.

But if past history is any proof of this team's resiliency, note this: After Samuelson underwent surgery for her finger in Germany (the first time she ever had surgery of any kind), she made it back to junior worlds in time for the awards banquet.

"Emily feels really, really bad about this,'' Bates said, "but now I guess it's even between the two of us.''

vCash
    Best of luck to Evan & Emily as they deal with this injury. Sorry that they'll have to miss the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I'd say likely out for the season -- off the ice "up to" six months makes it unlikely that he'd be back on the ice and in full training much before March even under the best of circumstances. I hope that they take it really slow and carefully, and that he's able to come back like Hongbo did in whatever time it takes. Very, very tough.
    My memory is fuzzy, but I think Hongbo Zhao said it took him two years. I do remember that he had to have his boots specially made, so they'd fit after his injury.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast