Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

vCash

Davis and White #9 - May the Postman Deliver

Less than a month now to see Meryl and Charlie's new programs. I'm really glad they are happy with still competing, I know they have much more to show us.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    New thread, yay! I like the new thread title - short and sweet (if a bit cheesy too ).

While it's sad that we may never see D/W's original Amelie SD, I have to admit I'm getting a little tired of the music after Nebelhorn, since there were at least 2 teams that used the waltz piece from Amelie for the GW. I wish we could know what the issue with it was at Champs Camp.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    I like the title! And to answer Doris' question from the last thread, yes there is such a thing as too much cheesiness in ice dance. We're lucky D/W have never traveled down that road, though. Offenders shall remain unmentioned.

vCash
    Bring on the season!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    New thread, yay! I like the new thread title - short and sweet (if a bit cheesy too ).

While it's sad that we may never see D/W's original Amelie SD, I have to admit I'm getting a little tired of the music after Nebelhorn, since there were at least 2 teams that used the waltz piece from Amelie for the GW. I wish we could know what the issue with it was at Champs Camp.
    I remember reading in the Nebelhorn thread, someone mentioned that Amelie doesn't work well for the GW and they weren't surprised that M&C decided to ditch it. Whatever the reason, I'm sure it was pretty valid since they quickly changed the music.

btw, little off topic, but what do you guys think of the Shibs' FD? I thought it was lovely and perfect for them. They look amazing on the ice together now, so glad she grew some over the summer!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    I remember reading in the Nebelhorn thread, someone mentioned that Amelie doesn't work well for the GW and they weren't surprised that M&C decided to ditch it. Whatever the reason, I'm sure it was pretty valid since they quickly changed the music.

btw, little off topic, but what do you guys think of the Shibs' FD? I thought it was lovely and perfect for them. They look amazing on the ice together now, so glad she grew some over the summer!
    I just finished watching the Shibs' FD...3 times actually. I think it is awesome. They will be deserving of their own thread this season I think.

vCash
    I think it is entirely possible that the Shibs will be the 3rd place US team team this year, which wins a spot to worlds-however, I've got to say that Chock/Zuerlein's SD is really good, although I can't say what their new FD is going to look like. US Nationals in dance will be totally amazing.

I definitely like the Shibs FD, although it isn't startlingly original.

D/W may have ditched Amelie because everyone and her brother are using it this year. But also, the G/W is a very tricky dance and having the beats sharp and exactly on the rhythm of the CD disc would be a good thing. I'm a bit worried about the strict level judging for the GW section of the SD, based on judging we've seen so far, particularly section 2.

The levels in that section are based on:

1. Man's steps 26a-2c, the part that includes the man doing a spread eagle.
    2. Lady's steps 30b (the twizzles & the layback position)
    3. Both man & lady, steps 34-35, with the swing open Choctaw
    4. Both man & lady, steps 39-40, which includes a left front inside Open Choctaw.

The requirements are very picky, generally about exactly prescribing the position in the layback, foot placement in the Choctaws. They also require you to hit the edges required, which I don't think is picky, but isn't necessarily easy.

They are also picky in the first section (which teams did better on), particularly where the lady has to have both her thigh and leg parallel (not just almost parallel) to the ice in the shoot the duck step (step 21), so getting level 4 there is not a gimme.

I tried rewatching V&M's, F&S's, P&B's, and D&W's GW from Worlds last year, but the camera work was so bad, it was really hard to tell how their levels should be placed using this year's criteria.

I think teams need to pick the GW part of their music very, very carefully, so that it helps them as much as possible.

Getting level 4 in both segments gives you 14 points in base value. 6 points for the first section, 8 points for the second section.

Level 1 in the second section is only 3.5, Level2 is the lowest seen so far on the first section, and that's 4.0. So you are conceivably looking at 6.5 points difference there for the GW segments, if a team is not careful & accurate with them.

vCash
    The SD portion of the gp could be very interesting this year. Scoring could be for some teams.

vCash
    On another note, I noticed that Meryl had posted a cryptic Japanese phrase on her Twitter account that loosely translates as "thing of sorrow." (At least according to yahoo babelfish)

Now after hearing the news of Evan Bates' injury- that may be the reason behind the tweet. That must be a tough thing since Meryl and Charlie are such close friends with Evan and Emily. I had been excited to see D/W, S/B, and the Shibs all together at NHK. Uhhh- how sad.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    On another note, I noticed that Meryl had posted a cryptic Japanese phrase on her Twitter account that loosely translates as "thing of sorrow." (At least according to yahoo babelfish)

Now after hearing the news of Evan Bates' injury- that may be the reason behind the tweet. That must be a tough thing since Meryl and Charlie are such close friends with Evan and Emily. I had been excited to see D/W, S/B, and the Shibs all together at NHK. Uhhh- how sad.
    This was going to be such an exciting year for S/B. I'm for them.

vCash
    I wondered what her tweet meant. It makes sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post

I saw that tweet from Meryl yesterday too. So it's Japanese? I thought it was Japanese but then I tried it out on google translate yesterday, it claimed it was Chinese. (I forget now, but does Japanese use Chinese characters?) It gave me basically the same thing you got: "sad thing."

Either way, very sad. S/B's FD would be one of the few Shpilband non-Latin/Spanish programs, no? (if you count that C/Z's originally was) I hope the postman does "deliver" for D/W this year, but as long as they stay injury-free, I'll be grateful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    however, I've got to say that Chock/Zuerlein's SD is really good, although I can't say what their new FD is going to look like.
    Well, unless they've changed their FD drastically since I saw it, the answer is "hot mess".

vCash
    yep, may the postman deliver, but I really liked the previous thread's name Although the silver stars might change to gold stars this year, so that makes sense

I remember reading in the Nebelhorn thread, someone mentioned that Amelie doesn't work well for the GW and they weren't surprised that M&C decided to ditch it.
    I think that might be the case - when watching P/B's Amelie I felt like they were missing the music completely. So, though I was really crazy about the idea of Meryl and Charlie using Amelie, now that I think of it, I guess ditching it was a good decision.

I was surprised I even liked that FD, because that kind of dance is definitely not my piece of cake. But they're really charming and the dance is cute, delicate and full of light, yet not too sweet. I agree the idea isn't that original, but it surely works for them. And Maia growing is great news

I'm very sorry to hear about S/B. For the first time in my life I enjoy US dance teams so much and Emily and Evan are one of the reasons for it.

vCash
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&ref=fbx_album

Hooloovoo has a picture of D&W from their Adam Lambert number

And TanithandBenFan reported

There's another exhibition scheduled at Arctic Edge next Friday Oct. 8 and it's been advertised that V/M will skate.
    D&W are also advertised as skating there.
    Last edited by DORISPULASKI; 09-30-2010 at 01:37 AM.

vCash
    I noticed that Meryl updated her twitter yesterday with some Japanese words meaning "sad thing". I wonder what happened.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by X.Y.Man View Post
    I noticed that Meryl updated her twitter yesterday with some Japanese words meaning "sad thing". I wonder what happened.
    Pretty sure it was a comment on Evan Bates' injury.

vCash
    Ryanbfan, it would be great if you could get some videos/pictures! I know how hard it is to take video and enjoy watching at the same time, so you can probably skip taking video of the Bollywood OD (if they perform it), since we have bazillions of videos of it by now.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    I adore the Bollywood OD and it will forever be one of my favorite OD's of all time, but I think I have Bollywood fatigue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    I adore the Bollywood OD and it will forever be one of my favorite OD's of all time, but I think I have Bollywood fatigue.
    Have to agree with this! I remember how amazing it was when we first saw it and it just kept getting better. It's like S&D, I watched it so many times, I could see every move before it happened.

I'm so upset over Evan's injury! Glad he's staying positive and I hope he's a "freak", too, and gets better fast! I keep thinking of Charlie coming back from a broken ankle, and of course, Hongbo Zhao's amazing comeback from his Achilles' injury. I have faith that Evan will win this!

I love Icenetwork's new layout...maybe because of the gorgeous picture of Meryl and Charlie on the left side border?

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast