Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

vCash
    The serious Oscar buzz on Best Supporting says that Geoffrey Rush in The King's Speech is the one to watch for, but since it hasn't opened here yet, there is no way to tell at this point.

vCash
    Justin Timberlake's received critical praise for his acting ability before. I think had he never been in N'Sync, we might know him better as an actor than a singer, though if he hadn't been in N'Sync, he'd probably never gotten any acting opportunities.

The more I think about The Social Network, the more I like it, especially compared to Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, which was a total phone-it-in, cliche-driven, telegraphed redemption hot mess of a movie. It could have been a great movie, and there were parts of it that were great, but in the end it was a dull movie that said nothing except in the last 20 minutes of every movie, the boy has to get the girl.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Timberlake's SNL *ick in a Box had to be one of the funniest skits ever, and on there no less! I believe he won an Emmy for that. I seriously think Hollywood might go for the Oscar for him, it's "only" Supporting.
    I had missed that one. Will look for it on youtube.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Just saw 'Conviction' in my film club. We were the first in the public to see the film on the planet (We were searched by FoxSearchlight reps). Hilary Swank as a sister that goes to law school to free her brother out of jail for a murder conviction. It was very good, not excellent. Swank was good, Sam Rockwell as her brother was great! Also Juliette Lewis has a couple of scenes and is brillant! Wouldn't be suprised if she is nominated as supporting actress. Also Minnie Driver as Swanks' lawyer buddy.
    The movie was interesting, but I had read about it, and was predictable is some ways. The 'epilogue' at the end was disappointing as it missed a key fact. The movie ends in about 2002. The brother actually died 6 months after, and it was not listed in the few sentences at the end, more what the sister is now doing the how many folks Project Innocence has helped free. Trying to make it upbeat, I would guess.

vCash
    I want to see Conviction when it opens. Saw the trailer on Youtube and it gives WAY too much of the movie away but will still see it anyway. BTW the actors and director of the movie wa son Larry King last night along with the sister. Did not watch because I would rather see the movie first. For anyone who wants to read more here is a 2001 people magazine article.

http://www.people.com/people/archive...134085,00.html
    Last edited by Buzz; 10-11-2010 at 05:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Timberlake's SNL *ick in a Box had to be one of the funniest skits ever, and on there no less! I believe he won an Emmy for that. I seriously think Hollywood might go for the Oscar for him, it's "only" Supporting.

JT was also very funny and endearing when he played the singing hotdog on SNL. So out of 5 members of N'Sync, only one had any real talent.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    JT was also very funny and endearing when he played the singing hotdog on SNL. So out of 5 members of N'Sync, only one had any real talent.
    Oh come on now. Just because only one has gone on to any real success outside of the group doesn't mean that the other members were not talented. Their talents may have just been more limited to music and singing. Let's not forget, they all could dance!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I thought JC Chasez' solo CD was totally under-rated. Here's samples:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sr=8-3-catcorr

I think the lead single, "Some Girls (Dance With Women)" turned people off. I think he was trying to be risque, but came off as boorish...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I also really liked JC's album but was too ashamed to admit I knew of its existence. LOL! He was always the sexiest member, IMO.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Joey's been on Broadway a couple of times. But that doesn't mean he was good.

vCash
    I'm guessing that I'm the only person in the known universe who's going to see Hereafter because of the Dickens subplot. Matt Damon leaves me cold, but I will squeal like a thirteen-year-old fangirl when Dickens's picture comes on the screen. (Yes, I've already found out that Dickens's picture is going to be on the screen.)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I rarely go to the movies, but I actually saw two within the past week. Let Me In I thought was quite good, if a little bloody for my taste. (No pun intended.) I like Richard Jenkins, and both the kids were very good. I know I've seen them before but can't remember where. It was a heartbreaking story, so we decided to see Secretariat a few days later for a happy ending. It's no Seabiscuit, but I enjoyed the racing parts even though I knew the outcome. The rest was pretty blah. I though Diane Lane and especially John Malkovich were wasted. He had little to do except wear outlandish outfits and mutter under his breath in French. If I had it to do over, I'd wait for the DVD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    I rarely go to the movies, but I actually saw two within the past week. Let Me In I thought was quite good, if a little bloody for my taste. (No pun intended.) I like Richard Jenkins, and both the kids were very good. I know I've seen them before but can't remember where. It was a heartbreaking story, so we decided to see Secretariat a few days later for a happy ending. It's no Seabiscuit, but I enjoyed the racing parts even though I knew the outcome. The rest was pretty blah. I though Diane Lane and especially John Malkovich were wasted. He had little to do except wear outlandish outfits and mutter under his breath in French. If I had it to do over, I'd wait for the DVD.
    I want to see Let Me In, too. I saw the original, Let The Right One In when it came out a few years ago. Very well done and done up in a way that only Europeans can. I recommend it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I'm guessing that I'm the only person in the known universe who's going to see Hereafter because of the Dickens subplot. Matt Damon leaves me cold, but I will squeal like a thirteen-year-old fangirl when Dickens's picture comes on the screen. (Yes, I've already found out that Dickens's picture is going to be on the screen.)
    I saw Hereafter at the Toronto Film Fest. I liked it a lot. Sat with a top Toronto movie critic and had dinner with him before the flick. I brought up the casting of Damon which I thought was unusual as well. I was expecting a different mood for the film and was thus expecting someone like Javier Bardem.

The critic's reply is that Eastwood doesn't make casting mistakes. In addition he claimed that Damon's role in The Informant basically rebranded him as a versatile actor who can transform himself. I'm not a HUGE Damon fan but I netted out that he was the right choice for the role. You'll like him. The little boy's story is gut wrenching. Keep in mind though the movie doesn't move at a breakneck pace; Eastwood's style is methodical and deliberate (Gran Torino, Million Dollar Baby). If you aren't unsettled by the subject matter and allow yourself to be absorbed into the story you'll like the movie a lot.

vCash
    JT is exceptionally talented overall. He's a great overall entertainer although he doesn't do any one thing in a particularly superior way. He's in tune with his audience, is quick-witted and has great comedic timing; tools that many artists don't have.

His biggest limitation for acting is his voice. He doesn't project well and his register is unfortunately high. So, he'll be very limited in the roles he can play. He has taken lessons and therapy to lower his voice but this can only go so far.

Ryan Reynolds has the same problem, to a lesser degree.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    JT is exceptionally talented overall. He's a great overall entertainer although he doesn't do any one thing in a particularly superior way. He's in tune with his audience, is quick-witted and has great comedic timing; tools that many artists don't have.
    In other words, he's the male Madonna (ok ok he's a far better actor than Madonna...)

I saw the Social Network and it was quite good, but of all the actors in that film, Timberlake is not the one I'd nominate for awards. He did a very good job with the broadest (easiest) role in the film. That said, I think he does have promise as an actor, and his comedic work is great. Forget Dick in a Box, all of his SNL Bee Gees skits are freakin hilarious.

I'm still overdue for most of the summer movies I wanted to see. But while I'm still visiting my mom, I might go see RED.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I saw The Social Network this weekend and I give it a B+. It was not the great movie I was expecting based on all the reviews I've read and heard.

I found it way, way too talky and the crucial first scene came across as so forced and unbelievable. Sorkin couldn't seem to put aside his playwright's roots for this. This certainly wouldn't be my choice for the Best Screenplay Adaptation Oscar.

Overall, I'd say I liked the movie, but I didn't LOVE it and I'm only recommending it with reservations.

vCash
    I saw the The Social Network last night. I really enjoyed it. I loved the fast pace of the dialogue and the sharp humor. I thought JT was good, but I was more impressed with Garfield and Eisenberg (wow).

vCash
    The Town is my favorite movie from this fall. I'm not a big fan of Ben Affleck's acting, but I think he's a very good director.

I prefer Matt Damon's acting and think he generally has good taste in projects, so I'm looking forward to The Hereafter.

vCash
    I'm going to see "Red" tomorrow. Looking forward to it, as the cast is great.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast