Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I have to admit that I will be shelling out the bucks to see "Secretariat". I'm a sucker for a horse movie!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I want to see (The King's Speech) too. Firth, Gambon, Spall, Jacobi, Ehle, Andrews . . . what a dream cast!
    And if that weren't enough, add in Guy Pierce, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham-Carter. Hadn't heard of the film before today but it's definitely on my list now!

vCash
    I probably should've mentioned them, but they're not on my SQUEE! list like the others.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    ^ Well, no, not really the same squee rating here either, but still shows what a powerhouse cast. I'm most excited about seeing Anthony Andrews again after so long! (insert swooning emoticon here)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    ^ Well, no, not really the same squee rating here either, but still shows what a powerhouse cast. I'm most excited about seeing Anthony Andrews again after so long! (insert swooning emoticon here)
    Same here. He is SO swoonworthy.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    I saw 'The Social Network' and really enjoyed it. Makes me want to know the real story though, but as entertainment it was good fast paced ride. Loved the opening scene with Mark and girl. Also still chuckling over 'forced cannibalism' - just cracks me up. Movie is entertainment, liking it does not mean one believes it. Well written movie. Fan of Aaron Sorkin, always have been.
    I can't stop laughing at the "Winklevi" line!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stanhope View Post
    I can't stop laughing at the "Winklevi" line!
    I know, right,
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Watched Sorkin's interview on Colbert last night. I thought it was interesting that he's not actually a fan of Facebook, he just thought how it came about was such a great story -- especially the 3 sides of it. Loved his line about social networking/socializing on the Internet is to socializing as reality TV is to reality.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Watched Sorkin's interview on Colbert last night. I thought it was interesting that he's not actually a fan of Facebook, he just thought how it came about was such a great story -- especially the 3 sides of it. Loved his line about social networking/socializing on the Internet is to socializing as reality TV is to reality.
    I also liked Colbert's question about the women depicted in the movie, and Sorkin's answer. I personally wasn't up in arms over the "trophy" female characters, mostly because I thought it spoke more about the male characters and what kind of women they chose to hang out with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I saw The Social Network on Saturday and thought it definitely has Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar in the bag for sure. The dialogue is really very good, and I also think that it doesn't make Zuckerberg out to be a total villain. Just completely clueless in the act of communication...as is most of the characters in the movie to some degree, actually. Interesting observation of our times, for sure.
    I saw it today, and found it to be brilliant. Agree on the Oscar nom. Whip smart writing, but Aaron Sorkin always delivers. I left feeling sorry for Mark Zuckerberg more than anything - but I'm sure his billions ease his pain. He's brilliant, but way socially retarded, and far too easily manipulated in the film (and in the source depositions) - he is portrayed as having seemingly no moral center - which creeps me out. Jesse Eisenberg captured the breathtaking self involvement of most Silicon Valley super-entitled 20-somethings amazingly though. The good news for real life Mark is he is very young, and has time to learn from his mistakes.

INTJ
    vCash
    Joining the love and general admiration for The Social Network. That was a brilliant movie. Incredibly well paced and Sorkin did an amazing job. I was also very impressed by Justin Timberlake. I actually forgot that it was Justin Timberlake for a bit.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    Joining the love and general admiration for The Social Network. That was a brilliant movie. Incredibly well paced and Sorkin did an amazing job. I was also very impressed by Justin Timberlake. I actually forgot that it was Justin Timberlake for a bit.
    Word. JT just continues to impress me. I used to loathe him - I mean really loathe him. But that was when NSync was huge and I couldn't stand his music. He is also one of the funniest hosts SNL has ever had. He should make that "5 Timers Club" SNL did a sketch of - Tom Hanks, Robert Gould, Steve Martin, and Paul Simon.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebayj View Post
    I saw it today, and found it to be brilliant. Agree on the Oscar nom. Whip smart writing, but Aaron Sorkin always delivers. I left feeling sorry for Mark Zuckerberg more than anything - but I'm sure his billions ease his pain. He's brilliant, but way socially retarded, and far too easily manipulated in the film (and in the source depositions) - he is portrayed as having seemingly no moral center - which creeps me out. Jesse Eisenberg captured the breathtaking self involvement of most Silicon Valley super-entitled 20-somethings amazingly though. The good news for real life Mark is he is very young, and has time to learn from his mistakes.
    Again, the Mark Zuckerberg IRL isn't nearly as creepy, at least in appearance as Jesse Eisenberg's portrayal. He is actually somewhat shy and even cute. It was mentioned that the one part the movie had wrong is that Mark never really had problems getting with women. And if you watch the videos, you can see why. He is nowhere near as repulsive and arrogant in those. But who knows what he is like off camera.

That said, I too see Oscars, lots of of Oscars, perhaps a win for Sorkin and a nom for Eisenberg.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Justin Timberlake for Best Supporting Actor.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Justin Timberlake for Best Supporting Actor.
    Um, not quite but he was surprisingly good. Who knew he had it in him?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Again, the Mark Zuckerberg IRL isn't nearly as creepy, at least in appearance as Jesse Eisenberg's portrayal. He is actually somewhat shy and even cute. It was mentioned that the one part the movie had wrong is that Mark never really had problems getting with women. And if you watch the videos, you can see why. He is nowhere near as repulsive and arrogant in those. But who knows what he is like off camera.

That said, I too see Oscars, lots of of Oscars, perhaps a win for Sorkin and a nom for Eisenberg.
    Yeah, I read that he had a steady girlfriend throughout college (who he is still with). ITA that no one knows what he's really like off-camera, but in the interviews I've seen he's usually pretty smiley and, while shy, nothing like Eisenberg's portrayal. I think Eisenberg did a great job in the movie and his characterization worked for the film, but I think the real Zuckerberg looks more like Justin Timberlake than Eisenberg. I heard Sorkin say he got information from people who knew Zuckerberg during his time at Harvard so, as always, the truth is probably somewhere in between.

vCash
    I saw "Life As We Know It" today, and full of cliches or not, it was really good. Loved both Josh and Kathryn Heigl.

vCash
    If you go by critical reviews then Heigel seems to be making one stinker after another. I don't think her movie career is going to last very long if she can't find a good project to be in soon.

I didn't really like the preview I saw of "The Tourist", but I hope it'll be good. Ever since I visited Venice years ago, I'm a sucker for any film that uses Venice as a location.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Um, not quite but he was surprisingly good. Who knew he had it in him?
    Timberlake's SNL *ick in a Box had to be one of the funniest skits ever, and on there no less! I believe he won an Emmy for that. I seriously think Hollywood might go for the Oscar for him, it's "only" Supporting.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Timberlake's SNL *ick in a Box had to be one of the funniest skits ever, and on there no less! I believe he won an Emmy for that. I seriously think Hollywood might go for the Oscar for him, it's "only" Supporting.
    Supporting Acting has nothing to do with being "subpar" from Best Acting. Heath Ledger and Christoph Waltz's Oscar-winning performances were more memorable than the "Best Actor" winners of their respective years. It's about screentime.

If Sony were to seriously campaign The Social Network for acting awards, they only have so much money to go around, so it would be Eisenberg for Best Acting and Garfield for Supporting.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast