Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I saw Wall Street - Money Never Sleeps and was shocked and how much I liked it. Didn't care for the original at all and will never understand why Michael Douglas won the oscar for it. I've always been a big fan of Shia LaBeouf and thought he was terrific in this. Very good flick.

vCash
    Just came back from watching Wall Street with my friends. I think that they found me nodding in and out of consciousness (and possibly snoring) during the movie more amusing than the movie itself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I always find Amanda Bynes unwatchable. I've basically thought she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag since she started on All That.
    The only thing I ever liked her in was Hairspray.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    I saw Social Network today- it was a very good and well-written movie. At the end of the movie, I didn't dislike Mark Zuckerberg (felt sorry for him..boy, he is lost when it comes to social conversation skills), but Sean Parker (Napster founder) was a total ass in the movie.
    I saw Social Network and thought it was very good as well. As far as best picture, I'm not sure since I haven't seen Winter's Bone, but I did prefer Social Network to Inception and really admired Sorkin's writing in it. In the film, while Zuckerberg seems to screw people over, I didn't think it was a total hatchet job on him.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I'm not 100 percent sure that it was better than Winter's Bone, but it was still fantastic. For some reason, when I first heard about it, I really had no expectation for it to be so good.
    I haven't heard of, let alone seen Winter's Bone so the Social Network remains the best movie I've seen this year.

Article about Natalie Portman providing material for the movie:

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10...ocial-network/
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I don't know if it's been discussed already, but I highly recommend Catfish as well. I think it's one of the most original and enthralling films I've seen in years. In a way, it's an interesting companion piece of The Social Network, in that it shows the scary side of social networking.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Sometimes I see previews for Catfish and I think it is for The Social Network until they show or say the movie title. Interesting that they are similar, Allen.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Saw "Let Me In" this afternoon. My first thought was "it was good..." (moderate thumbs up). But after talking about the movie during dinner, I think it's better than just "good..." There is enough substance to this movie to make you think about it for a while afterwards. It has a simplicity to it that makes you think it's a simple movie, but it's more than that. So many movies like this go for a lot of flash, this one does at times, but isn't afraid to downplay many moments that could have been done differently. Looking forward to hearing what others have to say about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I always find Amanda Bynes unwatchable. I've basically thought she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag since she started on All That.
    I've always found Amanda Bynes to be very funny, charming and likeable. An undervalued comedic talent to be sure. But wasn't she the one who recently said she was retiring from the entertainment industry?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

I've always found Amanda Bynes to be very funny, charming and likeable.
    I actually really liked her in Easy A (Didn't even recognize her at the beginning!) and really enjoyed the movie. It was actually really sweet and funny! The one thing that ruined it a bit was Lisa Kudrow, who was just horrible here and stuck out like a sore thumb.

Patricia Clarkson was just...

vCash
    An undervalued comedic talent to be sure.
    We're just going to have to agree to disagree, I guess. I think she overacts painfully. But you clearly aren't the only one who likes her since she seems to get plenty of work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I don't know if it's been discussed already, but I highly recommend Catfish as well. I think it's one of the most original and enthralling films I've seen in years. In a way, it's an interesting companion piece of The Social Network, in that it shows the scary side of social networking.
    Thanks for the review. I'm interested in seeing it and luckily have not been spoiled about how it ends yet.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    I saw Social Network and thought it was very good as well. As far as best picture, I'm not sure since I haven't seen Winter's Bone, but I did prefer Social Network to Inception and really admired Sorkin's writing in it. In the film, while Zuckerberg seems to screw people over, I didn't think it was a total hatchet job on him.
    I saw The Social Network on Saturday and thought it definitely has Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar in the bag for sure. The dialogue is really very good, and I also think that it doesn't make Zuckerberg out to be a total villain. Just completely clueless in the act of communication...as is most of the characters in the movie to some degree, actually. Interesting observation of our times, for sure.

I did find the Winklevi ( ) subplot to be a little on the light side, though. The drama was surely between Saverin (Garfield is so -worthy) and Zuckerberg and how their friendship falls apart.

As for the Best Picture race, I've heard a lot of buzz about The King's Speech and want to see that one too, because I'm a fellow stutterer and I'm sure I'll at some of the methods displayed in the film.

vCash
    I've always found Amanda Bynes to be very funny, charming and likeable. An undervalued comedic talent to be sure. But wasn't she the one who recently said she was retiring from the entertainment industry?
    She announced her retirement via Twitter in June, then unannounced it, also via Twitter I think, about a month later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    As for the Best Picture race, I've heard a lot of buzz about The King's Speech and want to see that one too, because I'm a fellow stutterer and I'm sure I'll at some of the methods displayed in the film.
    I want to see that one too. Firth, Gambon, Spall, Jacobi, Ehle, Andrews . . . what a dream cast!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I saw The Social Network on Saturday and thought it definitely has Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar in the bag for sure. The dialogue is really very good, and I also think that it doesn't make Zuckerberg out to be a total villain. Just completely clueless in the act of communication...as is most of the characters in the movie to some degree, actually. Interesting observation of our times, for sure.

I did find the Winklevi ( ) subplot to be a little on the light side, though. The drama was surely between Saverin (Garfield is so -worthy) and Zuckerberg and how their friendship falls apart.
    I saw footage of the real Zuckerberg on TV last night and he looked A LOT more affable than Einsenberg had him portrayed what with the permanently furrowed brow and hostile looks.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I saw footage of the real Zuckerberg on TV last night and he looked A LOT more affable than Einsenberg had him portrayed what with the permanently furrowed brow and hostile looks.
    Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the characterization is dramatized for the movie (IMDB said only Timberlake met with his real-life counterpart), but apparently all the "facts" portrayed are taken from depositions.

And I dunno, I was reading Gawker articles about the Saverin lawsuit from back in 2009 and the comments expressed...disapproval (to say the least) of how Zuckerberg treated Saverin. For Saverin to have founding credit on the site, and then be taken off and outright denied (the Facebook spokesperson even specifically mentioned Saverin had no founding role) for 5 years...that's cold, man.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    As posted, Natalie Portman contributed to the movie via spilling the beans to Aaron Sorkin. But IIRC that's just general Harvard undergrad scoop like the goings on within the Porcellian club as she had dated one of them.

And I agree with you, Anita, that the Saverin thing was ugly. The "Winklevi" affair had some wiggle room though, I thought.

I also heard that the real life Zuckerberg does not nearly have as much trouble with women and never had. Apparently many women had found him cute even before launch of FB.

Here's an interesting article from the aforementioned gawker: http://gawker.com/5143256/facebook-f...tle-their-feud
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 10-04-2010 at 07:43 PM.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I also heard that the real life Zuckerberg does not nearly have as much trouble with women and never had. Apparently many women had found him cute even before launch of FB.
    IIRC he has the same gf now (not white, she's Asian) as he did when he was making Facebook. So no relationship troubles, that stuff was obviously dramatized and simplified to round out the movie's story.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    A good review that touches on the veracity of the movie:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrend...lnetworkreview

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I saw 'The Social Network' and really enjoyed it. Makes me want to know the real story though, but as entertainment it was good fast paced ride. Loved the opening scene with Mark and girl. Also still chuckling over 'forced cannibalism' - just cracks me up. Movie is entertainment, liking it does not mean one believes it. Well written movie. Fan of Aaron Sorkin, always have been.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast