Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 123
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,130
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I saw Wall Street - Money Never Sleeps and was shocked and how much I liked it. Didn't care for the original at all and will never understand why Michael Douglas won the oscar for it. I've always been a big fan of Shia LaBeouf and thought he was terrific in this. Very good flick.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    966
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Just came back from watching Wall Street with my friends. I think that they found me nodding in and out of consciousness (and possibly snoring) during the movie more amusing than the movie itself.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,714
    vCash
    2634
    Rep Power
    29418
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I always find Amanda Bynes unwatchable. I've basically thought she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag since she started on All That.
    The only thing I ever liked her in was Hairspray.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,526
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    I saw Social Network today- it was a very good and well-written movie. At the end of the movie, I didn't dislike Mark Zuckerberg (felt sorry for him..boy, he is lost when it comes to social conversation skills), but Sean Parker (Napster founder) was a total ass in the movie.
    I saw Social Network and thought it was very good as well. As far as best picture, I'm not sure since I haven't seen Winter's Bone, but I did prefer Social Network to Inception and really admired Sorkin's writing in it. In the film, while Zuckerberg seems to screw people over, I didn't think it was a total hatchet job on him.

  5. #45
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,484
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19409
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I'm not 100 percent sure that it was better than Winter's Bone, but it was still fantastic. For some reason, when I first heard about it, I really had no expectation for it to be so good.
    I haven't heard of, let alone seen Winter's Bone so the Social Network remains the best movie I've seen this year.

    Article about Natalie Portman providing material for the movie:

    http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10...ocial-network/
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,714
    vCash
    2634
    Rep Power
    29418
    I don't know if it's been discussed already, but I highly recommend Catfish as well. I think it's one of the most original and enthralling films I've seen in years. In a way, it's an interesting companion piece of The Social Network, in that it shows the scary side of social networking.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,619
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15002
    Sometimes I see previews for Catfish and I think it is for The Social Network until they show or say the movie title. Interesting that they are similar, Allen.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  8. #48
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,493
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    44759
    Saw "Let Me In" this afternoon. My first thought was "it was good..." (moderate thumbs up). But after talking about the movie during dinner, I think it's better than just "good..." There is enough substance to this movie to make you think about it for a while afterwards. It has a simplicity to it that makes you think it's a simple movie, but it's more than that. So many movies like this go for a lot of flash, this one does at times, but isn't afraid to downplay many moments that could have been done differently. Looking forward to hearing what others have to say about it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I always find Amanda Bynes unwatchable. I've basically thought she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag since she started on All That.
    I've always found Amanda Bynes to be very funny, charming and likeable. An undervalued comedic talent to be sure. But wasn't she the one who recently said she was retiring from the entertainment industry?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  9. #49
    Kostner Softie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,532
    vCash
    467077
    Rep Power
    1318
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

    I've always found Amanda Bynes to be very funny, charming and likeable.
    I actually really liked her in Easy A (Didn't even recognize her at the beginning!) and really enjoyed the movie. It was actually really sweet and funny! The one thing that ruined it a bit was Lisa Kudrow, who was just horrible here and stuck out like a sore thumb.

    Patricia Clarkson was just...

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eagerly awaiting the Olympics!
    Age
    25
    Posts
    18,498
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6346
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    An undervalued comedic talent to be sure.
    We're just going to have to agree to disagree, I guess. I think she overacts painfully. But you clearly aren't the only one who likes her since she seems to get plenty of work.

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,526
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I don't know if it's been discussed already, but I highly recommend Catfish as well. I think it's one of the most original and enthralling films I've seen in years. In a way, it's an interesting companion piece of The Social Network, in that it shows the scary side of social networking.
    Thanks for the review. I'm interested in seeing it and luckily have not been spoiled about how it ends yet.

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,870
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    I saw Social Network and thought it was very good as well. As far as best picture, I'm not sure since I haven't seen Winter's Bone, but I did prefer Social Network to Inception and really admired Sorkin's writing in it. In the film, while Zuckerberg seems to screw people over, I didn't think it was a total hatchet job on him.
    I saw The Social Network on Saturday and thought it definitely has Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar in the bag for sure. The dialogue is really very good, and I also think that it doesn't make Zuckerberg out to be a total villain. Just completely clueless in the act of communication...as is most of the characters in the movie to some degree, actually. Interesting observation of our times, for sure.

    I did find the Winklevi ( ) subplot to be a little on the light side, though. The drama was surely between Saverin (Garfield is so -worthy) and Zuckerberg and how their friendship falls apart.

    As for the Best Picture race, I've heard a lot of buzz about The King's Speech and want to see that one too, because I'm a fellow stutterer and I'm sure I'll at some of the methods displayed in the film.

  13. #53

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Alone. With my eyes open.
    Posts
    3,854
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I've always found Amanda Bynes to be very funny, charming and likeable. An undervalued comedic talent to be sure. But wasn't she the one who recently said she was retiring from the entertainment industry?
    She announced her retirement via Twitter in June, then unannounced it, also via Twitter I think, about a month later.

  14. #54

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,187
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    As for the Best Picture race, I've heard a lot of buzz about The King's Speech and want to see that one too, because I'm a fellow stutterer and I'm sure I'll at some of the methods displayed in the film.
    I want to see that one too. Firth, Gambon, Spall, Jacobi, Ehle, Andrews . . . what a dream cast!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

  15. #55
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,484
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19409
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I saw The Social Network on Saturday and thought it definitely has Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar in the bag for sure. The dialogue is really very good, and I also think that it doesn't make Zuckerberg out to be a total villain. Just completely clueless in the act of communication...as is most of the characters in the movie to some degree, actually. Interesting observation of our times, for sure.

    I did find the Winklevi ( ) subplot to be a little on the light side, though. The drama was surely between Saverin (Garfield is so -worthy) and Zuckerberg and how their friendship falls apart.
    I saw footage of the real Zuckerberg on TV last night and he looked A LOT more affable than Einsenberg had him portrayed what with the permanently furrowed brow and hostile looks.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,870
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I saw footage of the real Zuckerberg on TV last night and he looked A LOT more affable than Einsenberg had him portrayed what with the permanently furrowed brow and hostile looks.
    Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the characterization is dramatized for the movie (IMDB said only Timberlake met with his real-life counterpart), but apparently all the "facts" portrayed are taken from depositions.

    And I dunno, I was reading Gawker articles about the Saverin lawsuit from back in 2009 and the comments expressed...disapproval (to say the least) of how Zuckerberg treated Saverin. For Saverin to have founding credit on the site, and then be taken off and outright denied (the Facebook spokesperson even specifically mentioned Saverin had no founding role) for 5 years...that's cold, man.

  17. #57
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,484
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19409
    As posted, Natalie Portman contributed to the movie via spilling the beans to Aaron Sorkin. But IIRC that's just general Harvard undergrad scoop like the goings on within the Porcellian club as she had dated one of them.

    And I agree with you, Anita, that the Saverin thing was ugly. The "Winklevi" affair had some wiggle room though, I thought.

    I also heard that the real life Zuckerberg does not nearly have as much trouble with women and never had. Apparently many women had found him cute even before launch of FB.

    Here's an interesting article from the aforementioned gawker: http://gawker.com/5143256/facebook-f...tle-their-feud
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 10-04-2010 at 07:43 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,870
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I also heard that the real life Zuckerberg does not nearly have as much trouble with women and never had. Apparently many women had found him cute even before launch of FB.
    IIRC he has the same gf now (not white, she's Asian) as he did when he was making Facebook. So no relationship troubles, that stuff was obviously dramatized and simplified to round out the movie's story.

  19. #59
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,484
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19409
    A good review that touches on the veracity of the movie:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrend...lnetworkreview
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  20. #60

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,660
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2190
    I saw 'The Social Network' and really enjoyed it. Makes me want to know the real story though, but as entertainment it was good fast paced ride. Loved the opening scene with Mark and girl. Also still chuckling over 'forced cannibalism' - just cracks me up. Movie is entertainment, liking it does not mean one believes it. Well written movie. Fan of Aaron Sorkin, always have been.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •