Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Fall MOVIE thread...

Just got back from seeing THE DEVIL and was better than I thought. It was creepy and had me on my toes. Shyamalan did a great job with this one and is back to doing what he does best.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    I'm intriqued by "Here after" with Matt Damon. I hope it gets good reviews, because the premise is promising.

And of course Deathly Hallows Part I!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    And of course Deathly Hallows Part I!
    I can't wait for this movie! It's going to be awesome!

I was looking forward to seeing You Again, but the reviews received weren't very good. I still want to see it, though.

Last edited by MikiAndoFan#1; 09-28-2010 at 10:47 PM.

vCash
    The Social Network currently has 100% rotten tomatoes rating. There are 35 reviewers on the film, and they all gave it a thumb up. I haven't seen this happen to any movie before. This is definitely the movie that I must see this fall.

...Her?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Just got back from seeing THE DEVIL and was better than I thought. It was creepy and had me on my toes. Shyamalan did a great job with this one and is back to doing what he does best.
    Shyamalan actually didn't have much to do with it. The story was his idea and he produced it, that's all. It was written and directed by different people and I'm sure that was it's saving grace. (I should note, I have yet to see it but I've heard quite good things.)

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    The Social Network currently has 100% rotten tomatoes rating. There are 35 reviewers on the film, and they all gave it a thumb up. I haven't seen this happen to any movie before. This is definitely the movie that I must see this fall.
    I can't wait for this movie, written by Aaron Sorkin and directed by David Fincher? I'm not sure how it could go wrong.

vCash
    I'm planning to see Hereafter as well.

Also, I caught a showing of Never Let Me Go in D.C. It's really good. They did a terrific job adapting the book. That said, I'd be interested to hear what some of you think of it who haven't read the book. It's rather quiet and slow-paced, and I don't know what kind of impression it would have made on me if I didn't already know the story. (I think I still would have liked it, though.)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

I know a place...
    vCash
    I really want to see Never Let Me Go but I will probably have to wait until it comes out on DVD. That's the problem with living in a small Canadian city that only shows smaller movies when the movies are Canadian.

vCash
    I saw Easy A this weekend. Loved it. It was hilarious and smart. Emma Stone did a great job - she's very charismatic and likeable.

I'm looking forward to seeing Never Let Me Go and The Social Network and that one Katherine Heigl movie

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I want to see:

The Social Network
    Never Let Me Go
    Harry Potter 7.1
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I saw Easy A this weekend. Loved it. It was hilarious and smart. Emma Stone did a great job - she's very charismatic and likeable.
    It looks like a fun film but ... from the trailers, Emma Stone looks to be the least convincing high-school-age actor since the cast of Grease.

For myself, I rarely see films in the theatres -- I generally perfer to wait to see them in a non-talking, non-cell-phone-ringing, non-chair-kicking environment. (Not to mention cat on lap, reclining chair, good snacks, and a good wine or beer.) But I will see Harry Potter on the big screen for sure. So far I've managed to avoid seeing any trailers, but as release time gets closer they'll no doubt be harder to avoid.

vCash
    I thought Emma Stone was good, but I didn't care for the film itself. The satire was so over-the-top it was cartoonish a lot of the time. And Amanda Bynes, whom I usually like, played her role as if they'd spiked her Red Bull with uppers. Stanley Tucci was pretty good, but Lisa Kudrow and (surprisingly) Patricia Clarkson were awful.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I can't envision how this is going to be entertaining in the least. I saw the trailers and was unimpressed. I guess I'm just not interested in seeing Zuckerberg's life played out on the big screen.

vCash
    The Social Network isn't a true biopic. It's a movie based on real life people, but there are scenes and dialogs that are made up to propel the movie along.

Let Me In, the child vampire movie, is also getting very good reviews, but I'm too chicken to see scary movies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    It looks like a fun film but ... from the trailers, Emma Stone looks to be the least convincing high-school-age actor since the cast of Grease.
    Nope. She has to beat the cast of the new version of 90210 to win that title.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by musicgurl View Post
    I really want to see Never Let Me Go but I will probably have to wait until it comes out on DVD. That's the problem with living in a small Canadian city that only shows smaller movies when the movies are Canadian.
    I saw the movie in my film club (before release) with discussion after. I thought the movie was fair, but after the discussion, I like it more. Also I have never been a big fan of Keira Knightly, but she really impressed me in this movie. Overall the movie is very well made, good acting, cinematography, but the story is disturbing. Many folks in my film club (about 200 total) did not like, some liked it alot, but no I totally loved it.

vCash
    I have no interest in seeing The Social Network (my opinion of Facebook is the same as Stan Marsh's). Red on the other hand....Helen Mirren and Morgan Freeman kicking @ss? I'm there opening weekend.
    Last edited by susan6; 09-29-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    RED, I totally forgot about that one. Yeah, I definitely want to see Helen Mirren kick some butt!

vCash
    Let Me In, the child vampire movie, is also getting very good reviews, but I'm too chicken to see scary movies.

If it's like the Swedish version, I wouldn't really call it scary. It's disturbing in some ways and suspenseful, but not what I'd consider nightmare inducing. You can probably handle it, unless you're super-extra-chicken.

vCash
    I'm both curious and horrified at Let Me In, since the Swedish original was so good. I wouldn't call it horror, but it is disturbing, heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time. It's less about vampires and more about the relationship (and loneliness) between the two kids.

I don't expect the Hollywood remake to be anywhere near as subtle and good.

In a cubbyhole next to Lauren Sheehan's bedazzler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    I can't envision how this is going to be entertaining in the least. I saw the trailers and was unimpressed. I guess I'm just not interested in seeing Zuckerberg's life played out on the big screen.
    I saw it at an advance screening last night, and I absolutely LOVED it.

Like you, I wasn't at all interested in seeing a movie about Zuckerberg or a film about Facebook. Obviously, both are integral to the story, but ultimately it's not really a biopic or even just a behind-the-scenes look at Facebook. (You don't necessarily have to be all that familiar with Facebook itself to enjoy the film, basically.) If anything, it was more of a character study about doing business with friends, the sudden trappings of wealth/notoriety at a young age, and how their philosophical differences become more of an issue as the stakes rise.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast