vCash

Owner of the Segway Company dies

He drove off a cliff with his Segway....

Police said a witness had reported seeing a man fall Sunday over a 30-foot drop into the river near the village of Boston Spa, 140 miles north of London.

I've never been on one before, but I'm a clutz to the first order and I'd most likely would have had some kind of similar accident...RIP

Death on a Segway

vCash
    I thought it was a joke for a second when you said he drove off a cliff with his segway.

Geez. RIP

vCash
    I don't think a Segway goes very fast. Maybe he encountered some health issue while riding it, ie heart attack, that made him go over the cliff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    He drove off a cliff with his Segway....

I've never been on one before, but I'm a clutz to the first order and I'd most likely would have had some kind of similar accident...RIP

Death on a Segway

I took a Segway tour in San Francisco a few years ago, and while I am also a klutz, by the end of the 20-minute how to lesson I did just fine. They're amazingly maneuverable and stop on a dime, even when you're headed up or down a steep hill. It was the only time that I've ever been the subject of a mad flurry of Japanese tourists taking pictures -- I guess the group of us looked like exiles from a DEVO video what with the safety orange vests, helmets, and riding around on Segways. (And the worst part didn't come until the next morning, when I kept rubbing my hands because they hurt -- I'd managed to badly sunburn my thumbs and edge of my forefingers from the grip I had on the throttle. Looked really, really strange.) It was an intensely fun time, and I'd love to do it in some other cities.

I wonder if he had a medical problem.

vCash
    I heard this on a late night talk show last night and also thought at first it was a joke.

RIP poor guy!

I've never been on one but always thought it was a great idea for larger cities and thought it was a shame they never caught on. Much better idea than driving around when you can't walk for whatever reason.

vCash
    From reading the article, he seemed like a really good guy, RIP

I've always wanted to try a Segway. barbk- what a great way to see SF!

vCash
    That is a terrible and freaky way to go.

vCash
    Segways aren't actually that safe. I did a bike tour through Paris with a company who did a segway tour at the same time, and they mandated helmets on the segways (not the bikes) because of the very high rate of falls.

That said...it's hard to imagine how he could accidently fall off a cliff
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.