Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned latch hook yet!
    I'm totally making you that rug for Christmas. It had better be in use when I come to visit or I'll get all

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    I loved those too!! And I haven't seen them in years and years, despite frequenting the kind of places that still have most of the other stuff mentioned on this thread. In fact I'm pretty sure I was already reminiscing about them and wondering why I hadn't seen any in years when I was still in my teens.
    They do still exist! We sell them at the toy store that I work at
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    Um, Jayar...?
    I am so sorry!!!
    If ignorance is bliss, I'm overjoyed.

vCash
    Did any of you have one of these as a child? It was one of my favorite toys.

And "pate a sel" (salt dough) http://laniette.l.a.pic.centerblog.net/77s6u4tt.jpg was also extremely popular. I was useless at it though, much to my despair.... people used to decorate the "pate a sel" creations with cloves.

vCash
    Oh, now here's one that was very popular at one time but I haven't seen for a while, though I'm sure people must still do it: covering polystyrene shapes with sequins on pins.
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly
    The most tedious one I ever did was for Girl Scouts. Take a little styrofoam cylinder, and use straight pins with flat silver tips to thread one red bead and then one green sequin. Stab into styrofoam, repeat until your eyes (and fingertips) bleed.
    I think you two are talking about the same thing, and yes, apparently someone still does this because my cousin's wife gave me a Christmas ornament done in this style. It's kind of pretty, actually.

Does anyone remember shopping bags made by tying six-pack rings together with yarn? Some people really went to town and fancied up the handles with crochet trim. I don't know that I ever actually saw anyone use these, but it seemed like everyone was making them.

vCash
    I like the peg designs that you iron to make shapes....I used to do those, and just the other day my nephew was showing me some that he had made.

vCash
    Ah yes, camp crafts. . . . remember the wallet you fastened the pieces of together with plastic lanyard-making stuff?

Caulkhead forever
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    They do still exist! We sell them at the toy store that I work at
    Excellent! You don't happen to know if they have an actual name do you? I've often wondered
    I am too long away from water;
    I have a need of water near.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica Lee View Post
    What was that thing called... round, tube like knitting tool with four prongs at the top and you could knit long tubular things and make rugs or the like. I don't think I ever actually turned it into anything, but I sure loved knitting never ending lengths of yarn tubes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica Lee View Post
    And I remember what I called French Knitting now.... we called it corking.
    We called it corking too. I spent hours making those silly tubes!
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    But nobody has mentioned foam hangers.
    We used braided phentex to cover hangers...by the hundreds! I still have some.

I think my favourite was Doodle Art. I spent hours at a time colouring those posters. I wish I had one to do right now.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkom View Post
    braided phentex to cover hangers...by the hundreds! I still have some.
    Eeew, Phentex. That sh*t is nasty. I have very bad memories of knitting with it and how the fibers would never transfer completely from needle to needle (at least when you have small hands and slippery plastic needles). So you would end up with really uneven sized stitches and frizzy nylon loops of various sizes hanging out of your work.
    And it has this irritating squeaky nylon texture that set my teeth on edge....and it came in the most horrendous neon colours.....eeeewww.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Eeew, Phentex. That sh*t is nasty. I have very bad memories of knitting with it and how the fibers would never transfer completely from needle to needle (at least when you have small hands and slippery plastic needles). So you would end up with really uneven sized stitches and frizzy nylon loops of various sizes hanging out of your work.
    And it has this irritating squeaky nylon texture that set my teeth on edge....and it came in the most horrendous neon colours.....eeeewww.
    It was really disgusting stuff, wasn't it?
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    Barrettes with two colors of thin ribbon woven in, with long ribbon hanging down. Friendship pins (beads on a safety pin, attached to the top of your shoe laces...)

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsy View Post
    Ah yes, camp crafts. . . . remember the wallet you fastened the pieces of together with plastic lanyard-making stuff?
    We didn't make wallets but we made sit upons--newspapers layered between two pieces of oil cloth with the edges laced with plastic lanyard-making stuff. We sat around the camp fire on them. My mother used to pack the strangest things for me to cook at day camp. Nearly every girl had hot dogs, and I was cooking shish kebabs or attempting to bake a potato that always came out charred on the outside and hard as a rock in the middle.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

INTJ
    vCash
    Excellent! You don't happen to know if they have an actual name do you? I've often wondered
    Nope. They're always just marketed as sun catchers afaik.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Guzzi View Post
    We didn't make wallets but we made sit upons--newspapers layered between two pieces of oil cloth with the edges laced with plastic lanyard-making stuff. We sat around the camp fire on them.
    OMG, I forgot about those!

vCash
    QUESTIONS:

a) I need help identifying an “artistic set” from the 70’s. I don’t know what it is called, but there were plenty of those “multi-layer cut out pads” for sale for 10 cents in Salvation Army and St. Vincent De Paul during that decade.

And here is my chance to finally ask people….

These were pressed-wood thin boards, size of A4 page, or slightly smaller or bigger. They had layers of powdered substance/chalk, 3-4-5-6 layers, in different shades from black to white or various rainbow colours. One had to take a stencile or a knife and “carve out” as deep as one wanted to get lines, shapes, shades and forms. One basically “shaved off” the light layers to get to darker layers.

b) What is name for a “drawing board” (usually red with two turning knobs) which had magnetic dust inside which flopped to the screen when you flipped it over, and the knobs had needles on the inside pressed against the inside of the glass, which drew, through the magnetic dust in every direction if one turned the knobs?

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    QUESTIONS:

b) What is name for a “drawing board” (usually red with two turning knobs) which had magnetic dust inside which flopped to the screen when you flipped it over, and the knobs had needles on the inside pressed against the inside of the glass, which drew, through the magnetic dust in every direction if one turned the knobs?
    This one is easy...Etch-a-Sketch!

We used to get a new one every year at Christmas (usually broke the one from the year before)
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    QUESTIONS:

a) I need help identifying an “artistic set” from the 70’s. I don’t know what it is called, but there were plenty of those “multi-layer cut out pads” for sale for 10 cents in Salvation Army and St. Vincent De Paul during that decade.

And here is my chance to finally ask people….

These were pressed-wood thin boards, size of A4 page, or slightly smaller or bigger. They had layers of powdered substance/chalk, 3-4-5-6 layers, in different shades from black to white or various rainbow colours. One had to take a stencile or a knife and “carve out” as deep as one wanted to get lines, shapes, shades and forms. One basically “shaved off” the light layers to get to darker layers.
    Sounds like engraving art.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen A View Post
    Barrettes with two colors of thin ribbon woven in, with long ribbon hanging down. Friendship pins (beads on a safety pin, attached to the top of your shoe laces...)
    Oh, memories of 4th grade! ANY girl who was ANYbody had at least one friendship pin on her shoe. Then in junior high it was friendship bracelets (several strands of embroidery thread, knotted together at the end, then braided/knotted -it's a little hard to explain- until it was of bracelet length.), super tedious to make, and I never got one made for me!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nora_Charles View Post
    Oh, memories of 4th grade! ANY girl who was ANYbody had at least one friendship pin on her shoe. Then in junior high it was friendship bracelets (several strands of embroidery thread, knotted together at the end, then braided/knotted -it's a little hard to explain- until it was of bracelet length.), super tedious to make, and I never got one made for me!

Friendship bracelets are still going strong. I was in my LNS (local needlework store) yesterday and a gaggle of young girls came in. They had the best time picking out supplies (should they use cotton thread, or silk, or wool, etc.) and when they left, they were off to make bracelets just like the one one of girls was already wearing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234