Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    We could all get together and have our own "Retro-Crafts" show. Eat your heart out, Martha Stewart.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    I almost forgot Popsicle stick art.

Toothpick Christmas trees with snow flocking.

Burnt wooden match art.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    Saving all the catalogs (when they were big), folding all the pages inward and making Christmas trees. Spray painting them afterwards.

vCash
    Well, I made potholders with those cotton loops. Dozens of them. Just saw some this weekend at the Hospice Thrift Store (the place to go for all the good stuff) in the vintage area -- unfortunately these looked to be made of pink acrylic, which I don't think was a good idea. I did find a beautiful old embroidered linen hand towel for $1.99.

But nobody has mentioned foam hangers. Back in the '60's, you could buy sheets of soft foam in many colors -- kind of like the foam some dry cleaner's have on the hangar to keep the dress from sliding off, much less dense than craft foam -- and we'd cut strips, fold them in half, and make a series of cuts so that it "blossomed" and then attach them to wire coat hangers. They were actually great for lingerie or slinky blouses, and the foam was soft enough that it also kept dresses or blouses from getting marks from the hanger. Best of all, we could actually sell them -- I think we got fifty or seventy-five cents for each one -- right about what a box of Girl Scout Cookies cost back then as a comparison.

vCash
    I've never been very crafty, but someone mentioned summer camp and that reminded me of Vacation Bible School craft projects. Back in the day, the craft part of Southern Baptist VBS was a big deal and we made some pretty neat things. My favorite was a rooster made of dry speckled butter beans and colored popcorn, unpopped. We had a big square piece of plywood with the outline of a rooster that we filled in with the glued on beans and corn. When it was finished we put a piece of rope around the border and varnished the whole thing. Sounds tacky, I know, but they were really rather nice. This was the 50's, after all. Those roosters hung in kitchens all around my hometown. My mother kept hers up for years, until I think the beans finally began to disintegrate. Nowadays, in the "keep 'em moving" VBS curriculum, crafts take up about 15 minutes and the kids make different things each day.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    I've never been very crafty, but someone mentioned summer camp and that reminded me of Vacation Bible School craft projects.
    Right around this time of year, we made long paper leis and other decorations for the succah -- the little lean-to that Jews build in the backyard or on the porch to celebrate the harvest festival. Since the succah requires an open sky, we also found branches to sorta cover the roof, from which dangle fruit and veggies on strings. And if you have ever tried to string up a pear or orange or tomato, you know what difficult is.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Right around this time of year, we made long paper leis and other decorations for the succah -- the little lean-to that Jews build in the backyard or on the porch to celebrate the harvest festival. Since the succah requires an open sky, we also found branches to sorta cover the roof, from which dangle fruit and veggies on strings. And if you have ever tried to string up a pear or orange or tomato, you know what difficult is.
    Never had to attempt that, but at least the pear would/could have a stem to assist with the "stringing up." I can't imagine trying to string up a tomato . I suppose if one were really "crafty" a little crocheted sling might help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    But nobody has mentioned foam hangers. Back in the '60's, you could buy sheets of soft foam in many colors -- kind of like the foam some dry cleaner's have on the hangar to keep the dress from sliding off, much less dense than craft foam -- and we'd cut strips, fold them in half, and make a series of cuts so that it "blossomed" and then attach them to wire coat hangers. They were actually great for lingerie or slinky blouses, and the foam was soft enough that it also kept dresses or blouses from getting marks from the hanger. Best of all, we could actually sell them -- I think we got fifty or seventy-five cents for each one -- right about what a box of Girl Scout Cookies cost back then as a comparison.
    My Nanna had a thing that was a rectangular frame with nails. You threaded nylon ribbon type stuff around the nails, setting it up like a weaving frame. Then you took another colour and knotted it around where the threads intersected. This is what held it together. Once you finished, you took off the frame and then sewed it around wooden coat hanger.

The most important thing about this is the colours were bright fluro. Second important thing is I still have a couple of them and they are fantastic for hanging delicate shirts. I have probably had them for over 35 years now.

Thank god for Nannas.

Another one to add to the list are macrame owls. I still have mine I made 30 years ago.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Did anybody make Christmas wreaths out of wire hangers and spray painted plastic baggies? I recall that as a Girl Scouts art project, but I don't think they were ever "fashionable"
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    I've never been very crafty, but someone mentioned summer camp and that reminded me of Vacation Bible School craft projects. Back in the day, the craft part of Southern Baptist VBS was a big deal and we made some pretty neat things.
    I remember learning about Joseph and his coat and we took small pieces of colored tissue paper and used a pencil and wrapped the square of paper around it and dipped it in glue and placed them on a cut out of a coat...so it was a coat of many colors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsy View Post
    Actually, if the small person making the loop-weave pot holders could find COTTON loops, they were pretty decent potholders . . . . if the loops weren't cotton, not so much!
    I always had trouble with the cotton (although I agree they were better than the nylon ones) loops in that I couldn't get them to stretch easily to fit the loom. Regardless, those pot holders always turned out so tiny for me that I doubt any adult's hand could be covered up enough to not get burned. They were perfect for a child's hand, but what child is going to be using the stove anyway. Of course I could have had too small of a loom to begin with.

And, Tinami, I remember the sand art, too! I made a really good beach scene at a slumber party one time. Each girl received a glass mug and I remember creating an ocean, clouds, birds, sand, and then we put sea shells on top of the sand.

You all are bringing back so many fun memories of my childhood! My parents never really bought me toys unless it was Christmas, but they always bought me craft stuff and encouraged that kind of creativity.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Did anybody make Christmas wreaths out of wire hangers and spray painted plastic baggies? I recall that as a Girl Scouts art project, but I don't think they were ever "fashionable"
    Ha, yes! Had forgotten all about that!
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    You all are bringing back so many fun memories of my childhood! My parents never really bought me toys unless it was Christmas, but they always bought me craft stuff and encouraged that kind of creativity.
    I agree. Some of my best memories as a kid was doing the crafty stuff with my Nanna or Mum. And my mum really encouraged it, would buy my materials for me and just let do what I want (like the macrame stuff).
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Caulkhead forever
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    I used to be fond of the kiddie stained glass kits, where you'd pour different colors into the metal frames and bake them in the oven until whatever that stuff was in the colors melted to make "glass." I have no idea if they're still around.
    I loved those too!! And I haven't seen them in years and years, despite frequenting the kind of places that still have most of the other stuff mentioned on this thread. In fact I'm pretty sure I was already reminiscing about them and wondering why I hadn't seen any in years when I was still in my teens.

I think I must have worked my way through the majority of Dryad craft kits as a child, saving up for weeks on end or begging for presents. Quilling, cold enamelling, glass painting, glass engraving, lacemaking, raffia basket weaving, candle-making, paper-making... In addition to all the multitude of ones where I just bought the bits myself or the ones where you didn't need any particularly special equipment or supplies. A friend once said that coming to our house was like being on Blue Peter

Never did make it to the silk painting though despite that being something I looked at the stuff for over and over again, it always seemed to mount up too quickly when I added up what I needed so I never went for it.

Now I really miss my favourite craft shop that I used to go to when my parents met us and took us into town after school.

Oh, and the paper models shop! Sadly it didn't last long but it was an absolute treasure trove while it lasted. That included something that was a real fad for a while, postcards that had model ye olde cottages on them to cut out and glue together. Well, not that I know anyone outside our family who actually made them but they were certainly in a fair few shops. Wish I could remember the name of them!

Oh, now here's one that was very popular at one time but I haven't seen for a while, though I'm sure people must still do it: covering polystyrene shapes with sequins on pins.

Yay, I just looked up that favourite craft shop and it seems it still exists! Only a few weeks ago I found the one a couple of doors down where I used to buy the bits for making earrings is still there, too This is especially a relief given that the bookshop and stationer that most fed my pen addiction was turned into chain pub before I'd even moved away

There is another shop in that town that I really remember as *fashionable* when it comes to crafts, though. Cross-stitch, quilting and stencils, all working together for a particular folksy style that was popular in the late 80s, edging into the early 90s. And they really captured it in the shop itself so that I still have incredibly vivid memories of the feel of walking in there.

I hadn't really realised how spoilt I was with all those wonderful independent shops until seeing them all written down together like that.
    I am too long away from water;
    I have a need of water near.

vCash
    Yes, yes! It was the reason I insisted on Mom buying different colors of Kleenex, long before we knew it wasn't environmentally responsible. Mine always came out fluffier than my sister's, which since she was a more talented artist in general, was my lone claim to superiority.
    I learned how to make tissue paper flowers from my sixth-grade Spanish teacher. You cut little triangles of tissue paper, then use a drinking straw to roll two corners, and crunch them together. So easy and quite pretty, imo.

Right around this time of year, we made long paper leis and other decorations for the succah -- the little lean-to that Jews build in the backyard or on the porch to celebrate the harvest festival.
    I wanted to build a succah so badly after reading about it in All-of-a-kind Family. Those books totally made me want to be Jewish. The only fun holiday thing I ever got to do in church was hold a candle for the special Christmas Eve service.

And speaking of Christmas, I'm sure we all remember making tacky ornaments for our parents in school and/or Girl Scouts. My favorite was the pipe cleaner wreath. You'd take a strip of lace with holes and wind it in between beads on the pipe cleaner. It was actually not so bad, I thought.

The most tedious one I ever did was for Girl Scouts. Take a little styrofoam cylinder, and use straight pins with flat silver tips to thread one red bead and then one green sequin. Stab into styrofoam, repeat until your eyes (and fingertips) bleed.

vCash
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned latch hook yet!

vCash
    When I was about 10 we would spend hours and hours making beaded lizards. I think that year me and my sister made enough to decorate our Christmas tree and I'm pretty sure it looked ridiculous

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned latch hook yet!
    Good one, Jayar! I made a sunflower one when I was little and my mom sewed it onto a pillow which is sitting on their sofa in the living room...I know I have a Winnie the Pooh one that is only half finished sitting in my parents' basement...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    Good one, Jayar!
    Um, Jayar...?

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    We used plastic bags from the dry cleaner's but didn't spray paint them. I made my grandmother a lovely Christmas wreath from blue bags, and I fastened silver bulbs to it. Later when we visited my grandparents, my older sister pointed it out--hanging in their smoke house with a bunch of rusted tools and other cast offs.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast