Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    And although it was more of toy than a craft, Spirograph. My poor mom had squares of geometric designs all over the house thanks to my sister and me.
    I still have a Spirograph! My husband bought it for me a few years ago and every once in a while I take it out and play with it.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Paint by number kits?
    When I was a child I occasionally did paint by numbers or color by numbers.

There was one particular shade of blue pencil whose number is 13. I don't know the real name of that shade of blue, so whenever I see it (e.g., on a house or a skating dress) I refer to it mentally as "13 blue."

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    In the late 60's and early 70's every Mom in my neighborhood made a ceramic Christmas tree.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...t:429,r:16,s:0

And if you were really lucky, your Mom made you a large, weird looking ceramic person that was dressed to match one of your hobbies. Baseball player, ballerina, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-Hand-Painte...item43a1728d1b

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    The Perler bead things where you'd iron it to make a piece of colored plastic.
    I loved perler beads, though I always chewed them... They're still around, I can't wait until my nieces are old enough for them
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    This wasn't really a fad but I used to do a lot of embroidering. My mother taught me as a child & in the 80's & 90's I did a lot of baby gifts like personalized bibs, baby quilts, & framed birth annoucements.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I still create the occassional paint by number masterpiece.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    In the late 60's and early 70's every Mom in my neighborhood made a ceramic Christmas tree.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...t:429,r:16,s:0
    Oh, I have one of those! My sister and I both had a small one for our bedrooms, and there was a huge one (with snow-encrusted branches and a hole for a star at the top!) in the front hall. I love it.

Shrinky-dinks were popular when I was a kid, as were those weird bead-tray things that you iron over, and the beads melt together to create a shape. I just saw one of those in Michael's not that long ago, too.

vCash
    Puff Paints, and anything you could fill with glitter or confetti type things. My friends and I used to decorate shirts, shoes, and fill the clear plastic bows with different bits.

My Aunt and Grandma both had the Ceramic Christmas Trees.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    color by numbers.

There was one particular shade of blue pencil whose number is 13. I don't know the real name of that shade of blue, so whenever I see it (e.g., on a house or a skating dress) I refer to it mentally as "13 blue."
    Hm, as a web color, its name is just "blue." So I guess I'll continue calling it 13 to distinguish it.

vCash
    OMGosh... String art... I loved that! Because it took no artistic talent... and I could do it! I remember making a card that said MOM in string art for mothers day.

And I remember what I called French Knitting now.... we called it corking.

vCash
    We went to the same summer camp. And I still remember the smell of those paint-by-number kits, they gave me headaches.

Let us not forget making clay ashtrays. Now there's something I'll bet kids don't do anymore. And although it was more of toy than a craft, Spirograph. My poor mom had squares of geometric designs all over the house thanks to my sister and me.
    Clay ashtrays/dinosaurs/pots and various other strange things which my children brought home are all still on display years later precious things those Spirograph, painting by numbers, string pictures, are all still around along with the whip 'n' top which I remember colouring with chalk

vCash
    I used to be fond of the kiddie stained glass kits, where you'd pour different colors into the metal frames and bake them in the oven until whatever that stuff was in the colors melted to make "glass." I have no idea if they're still around.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

Grooving!
    vCash
    Anybody else remember the bottle & jar cutter that you would use to cut glass bottles so you could make them into vases? I got one for Christmas one year from a crazy aunt. What a useless little object. (Hmm, do I mean the vase or the aunt? Tough call.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I still create the occassional paint by number masterpiece.
    Me, too. My parents even have two of my "pieces" framed and hung in their house! And I still have two kits sitting there unopened...

vCash
    Does the Bedazzler count?

vCash
    My daughter bought some shrinky-dink Christmas ornaments at a neighbor's garage sale. We proudly display them on the back of the tree. I hadn't thought of shrinky-dinks for years.

My aunt was really into ceramics so we also had a bunch of those trees, along with all sorts of random items that my brother and I loved to paint

I seem to recall spending a lot of time making tissue paper flowers. It was really cool if you could attach them to a pipe cleaner or wire stem.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    I seem to recall spending a lot of time making tissue paper flowers. It was really cool if you could attach them to a pipe cleaner or wire stem.
    Yes, yes! It was the reason I insisted on Mom buying different colors of Kleenex, long before we knew it wasn't environmentally responsible. Mine always came out fluffier than my sister's, which since she was a more talented artist in general, was my lone claim to superiority.

I spent a lot of time on dioramas, too, and at camp on lanyards. My lanyards were really, really bad.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Yes, yes! It was the reason I insisted on Mom buying different colors of Kleenex, long before we knew it wasn't environmentally responsible. Mine always came out fluffier than my sister's, which since she was a more talented artist in general, was my lone claim to superiority.
    I made a batch of over-sized crepe paper poppies to decorated a corner of my dorm room. I thought they were AWESOME! Not so awesome after they faded in the sun, though.
    I spent a lot of time on dioramas, too, and at camp on lanyards. My lanyards were really, really bad.
    Lanyards! I hadn't thought about them in years (decades actually). My lanyards turned out pretty well -- I fondly remember one I made in pink and black, although I never really used one of them after I had made them in day camp.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    How about macaroni art or bird seed art.

We also did these bracelets out of vinyl strips (usually pastel colors) to make bracelets.

Dolly Dusters.

Christmas bead ornaments.

Felt magnets for the refrigerator. (usually like vegetables, or butterflies...etc)
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast