Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Crafty things that used to be fashionable

I only discovered today that Hobbytex is still around (I wasn't sure if it still existed). That thing where you used tubes of paint on felt following instructions.

http://www.hobbytex.com.au/

Years ago we used to have a neighbour who taught it. Very 70s.

Any other crafts that you remember from years ago that you care to share?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    My mom used to do this too, but in the states we called it Artex.

vCash
    Macrame
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    When I was in high school, I learned to do something we called paper tole, where you cut out multiple copies of a picture (like from repeated designs on wrapping paper or something), and then shaped them and layered them with blobs of glue to create a 3-dimensional effect. I never got really into it, but remember doing a Holly Hobby picture for my sister.

vCash
    What was that thing called... round, tube like knitting tool with four prongs at the top and you could knit long tubular things and make rugs or the like. I don't think I ever actually turned it into anything, but I sure loved knitting never ending lengths of yarn tubes!

Oh and rug hooking. I used to thing rug hooking was amazing and we even had one hanging in our living room at one point.

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica Lee View Post
    What was that thing called... round, tube like knitting tool with four prongs at the top and you could knit long tubular things and make rugs or the like.
    It's a knitting dolly, and they are still around. Some beaders use them to make necklaces and bracelets: http://www.interweavestore.com/Beadi...-Bracelet.html.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica Lee View Post
    What was that thing called... round, tube like knitting tool with four prongs at the top and you could knit long tubular things and make rugs or the like. I don't think I ever actually turned it into anything, but I sure loved knitting never ending lengths of yarn tubes!

Oh and rug hooking. I used to thing rug hooking was amazing and we even had one hanging in our living room at one point.
    Do you mean French knitting

http://www.sales.fireandfibre.co.uk/...ting_shop.html

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Paint by number kits?

I also had a good time as a child making potholders with a metal frame and these elasticized loops you would weave in and out. They made great Christmas gifts for older female relatives!

vCash
    The Perler bead things where you'd iron it to make a piece of colored plastic.

vCash
    I used to paint those ceramic things. I gave one to my grandmother for Christmas one year and then the next year she sold it at a rummage sale for a quarter

vCash
    Quilling was a fad for a while - strips of colored paper you twisted into coils and pleats to make pictures.

And there was plastic flower making - you made petal and leaf shapes out of wire then dipped the shaped in jars of plastic goop as if it was bubble soap then let the plastic dry into stained-glass looking things.

Needlepoint is still around.

The childhood craft I wasted a lot of time on was the pot-holder weaving thingies. They sucked as actual potholders because the nylon either melted or didn't protect your hand from the heat but the darned things never wore out. When I was cleaning my mother's kitchen after she died (at 91!) I found two or three of the little squares tucked in a drawer. They make decent hot pads for the counter.

My mother also belonged to The Fad-ofThe-Month Club. Every month you got a box with a different kind of craft project. She did a lot of the ones involving yarn or fabric, but I have a cabinet full of unstarted kits for bookends and napkin holders. Something to do when I retire.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Decoupage. I still have a jewelry box that my grandmother made. She did a nice job on it.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I remember back when I was little, purses with wooden handles, where you buttoned on the fabric bag part of the purse, were popular; and a lot of people made the bags that buttoned on.

Crocheting was popular in the 1960 and 1970s, I think. Lots of afghans and ponchos.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Paint by number kits?

I also had a good time as a child making potholders with a metal frame and these elasticized loops you would weave in and out. They made great Christmas gifts for older female relatives!
    We went to the same summer camp. And I still remember the smell of those paint-by-number kits, they gave me headaches.

Let us not forget making clay ashtrays. Now there's something I'll bet kids don't do anymore. And although it was more of toy than a craft, Spirograph. My poor mom had squares of geometric designs all over the house thanks to my sister and me.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Let us not forget making clay ashtrays. Now there's something I'll bet kids don't do anymore.
    They do still make the same shapelesss clay things that were once interpreted as ashtrays and are now called bowls etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    And although it was more of toy than a craft, Spirograph. My poor mom had squares of geometric designs all over the house thanks to my sister and me.
    Oh yeah, we had that. Also those "fashion plate" things where you could change the "model's" outfit and then make a pencil rubbing.

God's eyes were the thing at the day camp I went to -- yarn wrapped around popsicle sticks to make a diamond shape.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Yes, I did French knitting (although my parents were too cheap to get the actual thing, so we had to use clothes pegs

These "mako moulages" http://www.critique-world.com/imagespages/mako2.jpg were all the craze in France when I was small. There were the rubber moulds and the plaster would always break off a bit when you took them off.

vCash
    Actually, if the small person making the loop-weave pot holders could find COTTON loops, they were pretty decent potholders . . . . if the loops weren't cotton, not so much!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    I once taught 7th grade English in a classroom right next to the art room. The art classes did a string art project every year. Try keeping 7th graders focused when 30 kids next door are all hammering nails into their boards for weeks.

One fad I remember is the sweat shirt modification thing. Take a plain old sweat shirt like the ones at Wal-Mart and fancy it up. Some were made into cardigans with ruffled necks and sleeves. There were many holiday styles. My crafty friend made me one for Christmas. It was white, and she had cut out a bow and flowing ribbon shape from Christmas fabric, ironed it on and outlined it with gold fabric paint. I thought it was the most beautiful thing and wore it proudly. I still have it, packed away. My friend died in 2001.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast