Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. #1
    Awaiting Validation
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    island auntie
    Posts
    1,147
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Son of Bernard Madoff commits suicide


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,681
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    7944

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    16,561
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The harm and distruction Madoff visited on so many lives continues even within his own family. Not the way to solve his problems and sorry he choose this path and inflicted more pain on those that loved him. R.I.P.

  4. #4
    Mad for mangelwurzels
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Falling like a raindrop from a flower
    Posts
    10,518
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    106423
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Not the way to solve his problems and sorry he choose this path and inflicted more pain on those that loved him.
    Oh God, not the "suicide is selfish" argument again? I am not defending what he did (or might have done) in his life, but it's so easy to judge others when you're not in a position of desperation yourself.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    31973
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Oh God, not the "suicide is selfish" argument again? I am not defending what he did (or might have done) in his life, but it's so easy to judge others when you're not in a position of desperation yourself.
    Where did Buzz say Madoff's act was selfish?
    I'm heartbroken for the son and the son's family, but fcuk Bernie Madoff.

  6. #6
    Mad for mangelwurzels
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Falling like a raindrop from a flower
    Posts
    10,518
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    106423
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Where did Buzz say Madoff's act was selfish?
    He/she didn't use the word, but the comment I've quoted above seems very judgemental to me. YMMV.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,708
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30870
    I think Buzz was just remarking that killing oneself inflicts a ton of pain and grief onto those that love you, mainly friends and of course family. Buzz didn't say anything about whether or not he may have had valid reasons for killing himself. Can you honestly say that you think it is ok to require your loved ones to have to deal with your death for the rest of their lives? I don't think it is but it doesn't mean I judge those who do decide to kill themselves because as you said, I am not in their shoes.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  8. #8
    Mad for mangelwurzels
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Falling like a raindrop from a flower
    Posts
    10,518
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    106423
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I think Buzz was just remarking that killing oneself inflicts a ton of pain and grief onto those that love you, mainly friends and of course family.
    Not always true; some people who kill themselves are effectively alone, without friends and with family having deserted them.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Can you honestly say that you think it is ok to require your loved ones to have to deal with your death for the rest of their lives? I don't think it is but it doesn't mean I judge those who do decide to kill themselves because as you said, I am not in their shoes.
    I think your last two sentences (above) rather contradict themselves, but in any case, I am now exiting this thread.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,132
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What a tragedy. The pain that would drive someone to suicide must be beyond unbearable. And the pain that loved ones feel, when someone commits suicide is equally intense. They feel deserted, responsible, devastated. It is a shame that he did not get help. I feel bad for his wife, children, even his (questionable) mother. But, I feel nothing for his father. Bernie Madoff put his child in the position to commit crimes and be the target of scorn. Bernie Madoff destroyed his family, as well as those he swindled. He is a monster.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    5,307
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9541
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Not always true; some people who kill themselves are effectively alone, without friends and with family having deserted them.
    I read a quote once that resonated so much with me: "It's easy to tell me not to kill myself. The hard part is giving a shit if I choose to stay around".

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,859
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The whole situation is tragic, but I found it disturbing that he did this with his 2-year old son at home. Presumably the toddler woke up to find his father hanging.

    I can't imagine

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,682
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9947
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I feel nothing for his father. Bernie Madoff put his child in the position to commit crimes and be the target of scorn. Bernie Madoff destroyed his family, as well as those he swindled. He is a monster.
    As adults, the sons must assume some responsibility if they were involved in the crime. Suicide is always tragic for the family, but Mark may have brought some of his own tragedy on to himself. I know that the jury's still out on his involvement, but it's hard to believe the sons were completely innocent.

  13. #13
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,036
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30931
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    The whole situation is tragic, but I found it disturbing that he did this with his 2-year old son at home. Presumably the toddler woke up to find his father hanging.

    I can't imagine


    People should keep in mind that most suicides are committed in a mental state that cannot be considered normal and cannot be judged as such.

    This is beyond horrible.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,221
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    31466
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    People should keep in mind that most suicides are committed in a mental state that cannot be considered normal and cannot be judged as such.
    This.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,132
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    The whole situation is tragic, but I found it disturbing that he did this with his 2-year old son at home. Presumably the toddler woke up to find his father hanging.

    I can't imagine
    Apparently, he thought of that. He called his wife in Florida and asked that someone check on the two year old. Granted, the child could have unexpectedly woke up, but he did not want the child to find him. And I agree that no one is in their right mind when they commit suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    As adults, the sons must assume some responsibility if they were involved in the crime. Suicide is always tragic for the family, but Mark may have brought some of his own tragedy on to himself. I know that the jury's still out on his involvement, but it's hard to believe the sons were completely innocent.
    Yes, I am sure that he was not completely innocent. But his father brought him into it. Therefore, I have no feeling for Bernie Madoff.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,859
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Apparently, he thought of that. He called his wife in Florida and asked that someone check on the two year old. Granted, the child could have unexpectedly woke up, but he did not want the child to find him.
    From what I understand, he sent only a text message very late at night that wasn't received until the following day. Obviously he was in a very bad way-- no one is disputing that. I was simply commenting on the additional tragedy of a boy potentially finding his father's body like that since it seems the toddler was awake before anyone came to check on him.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,132
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    From what I understand, he sent only a text message very late at night that wasn't received until the following day. Obviously he was in a very bad way-- no one is disputing that. I was simply commenting on the additional tragedy of a boy potentially finding his father's body like that since it seems the toddler was awake before anyone came to check on him.
    Absolutely, if the child had found him - unimaginable. Thank goodness it didn't happen.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,859
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Where does it say that didn't happen?

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,132
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Unless the child got up, saw his father and went back to bed, it didn't happen. He was sleeping.

    http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/12/12/new...f.son.suicide/

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Left of Center
    Posts
    1,259
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    He was sleeping.
    Thank heaven's for that. Poor little guy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •