Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Awaiting Validation
    vCash

Son of Bernard Madoff commits suicide

vCash

vCash
    The harm and distruction Madoff visited on so many lives continues even within his own family. Not the way to solve his problems and sorry he choose this path and inflicted more pain on those that loved him. R.I.P.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Not the way to solve his problems and sorry he choose this path and inflicted more pain on those that loved him.
    Oh God, not the "suicide is selfish" argument again? I am not defending what he did (or might have done) in his life, but it's so easy to judge others when you're not in a position of desperation yourself.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Oh God, not the "suicide is selfish" argument again? I am not defending what he did (or might have done) in his life, but it's so easy to judge others when you're not in a position of desperation yourself.
    Where did Buzz say Madoff's act was selfish?
    I'm heartbroken for the son and the son's family, but fcuk Bernie Madoff.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Where did Buzz say Madoff's act was selfish?
    He/she didn't use the word, but the comment I've quoted above seems very judgemental to me. YMMV.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I think Buzz was just remarking that killing oneself inflicts a ton of pain and grief onto those that love you, mainly friends and of course family. Buzz didn't say anything about whether or not he may have had valid reasons for killing himself. Can you honestly say that you think it is ok to require your loved ones to have to deal with your death for the rest of their lives? I don't think it is but it doesn't mean I judge those who do decide to kill themselves because as you said, I am not in their shoes.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I think Buzz was just remarking that killing oneself inflicts a ton of pain and grief onto those that love you, mainly friends and of course family.
    Not always true; some people who kill themselves are effectively alone, without friends and with family having deserted them.

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Can you honestly say that you think it is ok to require your loved ones to have to deal with your death for the rest of their lives? I don't think it is but it doesn't mean I judge those who do decide to kill themselves because as you said, I am not in their shoes.
    I think your last two sentences (above) rather contradict themselves, but in any case, I am now exiting this thread.

vCash
    What a tragedy. The pain that would drive someone to suicide must be beyond unbearable. And the pain that loved ones feel, when someone commits suicide is equally intense. They feel deserted, responsible, devastated. It is a shame that he did not get help. I feel bad for his wife, children, even his (questionable) mother. But, I feel nothing for his father. Bernie Madoff put his child in the position to commit crimes and be the target of scorn. Bernie Madoff destroyed his family, as well as those he swindled. He is a monster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Not always true; some people who kill themselves are effectively alone, without friends and with family having deserted them.
    I read a quote once that resonated so much with me: "It's easy to tell me not to kill myself. The hard part is giving a shit if I choose to stay around".

vCash
    The whole situation is tragic, but I found it disturbing that he did this with his 2-year old son at home. Presumably the toddler woke up to find his father hanging.

I can't imagine

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I feel nothing for his father. Bernie Madoff put his child in the position to commit crimes and be the target of scorn. Bernie Madoff destroyed his family, as well as those he swindled. He is a monster.
    As adults, the sons must assume some responsibility if they were involved in the crime. Suicide is always tragic for the family, but Mark may have brought some of his own tragedy on to himself. I know that the jury's still out on his involvement, but it's hard to believe the sons were completely innocent.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    The whole situation is tragic, but I found it disturbing that he did this with his 2-year old son at home. Presumably the toddler woke up to find his father hanging.

I can't imagine

People should keep in mind that most suicides are committed in a mental state that cannot be considered normal and cannot be judged as such.

This is beyond horrible.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    People should keep in mind that most suicides are committed in a mental state that cannot be considered normal and cannot be judged as such.
    This.

vCash

I can't imagine
    Apparently, he thought of that. He called his wife in Florida and asked that someone check on the two year old. Granted, the child could have unexpectedly woke up, but he did not want the child to find him. And I agree that no one is in their right mind when they commit suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    As adults, the sons must assume some responsibility if they were involved in the crime. Suicide is always tragic for the family, but Mark may have brought some of his own tragedy on to himself. I know that the jury's still out on his involvement, but it's hard to believe the sons were completely innocent.
    Yes, I am sure that he was not completely innocent. But his father brought him into it. Therefore, I have no feeling for Bernie Madoff.

vCash
    Apparently, he thought of that. He called his wife in Florida and asked that someone check on the two year old. Granted, the child could have unexpectedly woke up, but he did not want the child to find him.
    From what I understand, he sent only a text message very late at night that wasn't received until the following day. Obviously he was in a very bad way-- no one is disputing that. I was simply commenting on the additional tragedy of a boy potentially finding his father's body like that since it seems the toddler was awake before anyone came to check on him.

vCash
    From what I understand, he sent only a text message very late at night that wasn't received until the following day. Obviously he was in a very bad way-- no one is disputing that. I was simply commenting on the additional tragedy of a boy potentially finding his father's body like that since it seems the toddler was awake before anyone came to check on him.
    Absolutely, if the child had found him - unimaginable. Thank goodness it didn't happen.

vCash
    Where does it say that didn't happen?

vCash
    Unless the child got up, saw his father and went back to bed, it didn't happen. He was sleeping.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/12/12/new...f.son.suicide/

vCash
    He was sleeping.
    Thank heaven's for that. Poor little guy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast