Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Review Improv Ice Sept. 25

I drove up from Denver last night to Loveland with two friends to see Improv Ice. Overall it was a very nice show....though not nearly as professional or well-done as say Stars on Ice. It was also fairly short. It started after 7 pm and with a 30 minute intermission, it was done by shortly after 9 pm. It was a fantastic cast of skaters. Foreigner was the musical talent and still sounded the same as they did years ago.

Kristi Yamaguchi and Brian Boitano hosted and did fairly well. Their comments were obviously scripted and kind of cheesy but both were warm and engaging and got a loud cheer from the audience to start the show. They had to do a retake (actually two tries) of the opening monologue after the show because Kristi made some errors. They didn't allow any skater retakes so all the falls will be in the broadcast unless they pan away to the band during it.

This is supposed to be a competition where the viewers can log onto Universal Sports and vote for the winner. I think it will be hard to tell on TV because they won't be showing the entire routine of each skater for the 2nd round since they always cut to the band alot. Each skater did two improv numbers that they choreographed that day. The first one was to a popular piece of music and the second one was to a live song by Foreigner. I didn't keep notes so I'm going from my impressions and recollections....also don't know which song each skater did.

Alissa Czisny started it off and the skaters remained in the same order both halves. She had a number from Glee the first round and skated beautifully but I think only did a 2 axel. Her Foreigner routine was fine too. She fell on the only triple she tried (3 loop) and to me rock and peppy numbers don't suit her like the beautiful classical numbers she is so good at. She looked beautiful but super thin. I love her skating...especially spins.

Ryan Bradley. One of my friends went gaga over him...thought he was adorable. He really entertained. Not alot in the jump department but some fantastic original moves and his cool crooked back flip in both numbers.

Rachel Flatt came out with a darling new haircut. Chin length and sassy. It really really suits her. She had a rock/hip hop number for the first one and it didn't look quite right on her. But good try. However her triples were rock solid the whole night. Although her first number didn't impress, her Foreigner number she did was quite amazing. She filled it with choreography, moves, four solid triples including the flip. It was a soft number, not big rock. You can tell she has really been working on her artistry, though she is no Sasha or Alissa yet. Good for Rachel.

Jeff Buttle. He did great....great energy and really got the crowd going both numbers. Solid on all his elements. think he did 3 lutzes in both plus a couple other triples combines with great skating technique.

Sasha Cohen. First number was Katy Perry upbeat. She really did a fantastic job and I didn't see a wobble all night. Her 2 axels were gorgeous and she did a triple toe and triple salchow absolutely perfect. When you combine that with her line, energy, incredible positions and artistry...to me she had my vote. She is really trained and at the top of her game.

Jeremy Abbot. He was just so so. Seemed a bit uncomfortable and had falls in both programs including a 2 axel in the second one. but the quality of his skating and footwork is to die for so even if Improv isn't his strength he is still great.

Joannie Rochette: Great job....rock solid in both numbers. She had a sort of country number for the first round and skated in legging jeans. She hit some great triple toes and salchows in both programs. Crowd definitely knew her from Vancouver.

Evan Lysacek. He did really well with his choregraphy and energy. He looked super fit. I remember his Foreigner number was Cold as Ice. Cant' recall his first number but he had a bad crash on the triple lutz. Otherwise, he looked rock solid on all the jumps just like the old Evan. crowd really roared for him when he came out and it's neat to hear him announced as the OGM, though kristi started to announce him as the U.S. national Champion and stopped herself.

At the end they paired up a guy and a gal and each pair did a short number on the ice. Bradley did a small pair lift with Flatt onto his shoulder. the crowd love it. My one friend said she enjoyed Sasha and Jeffrey the most and she has never been to a live skating show in her life. My vote goes to Sasha. Evan had the crash on the lutz but otherwise might have won...still might, we'll see.

All in all I enjoyed the show. The negatives were that it was not nearly as good as Stars on Ice but the ticket prices were about the same and we had a long drive from Denver up to Loveland. Most of the Disson shows manage to make all the broadcasts pretty much the same as all the others....kind of formulaic. The cuts to the musical talent always kind of kill it for me. However, I'm glad I get to see these skaters any where now given that skating seems to be fairly invisible in the U.S. these days.

moving right along
    vCash
    Thanks for the review. Glad to hear that the level of performance was strong. Can't wait to see Rachael's new haircut.

I'm with your friend. Watching Ryan Bradley always make me gaga.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Thanks for the review. It sounds great. I'd love to see this live as I too hate it on TV when the camera pans to the musicians. Still we get to see all the first numbers uninterrupted so I look forward to that for sure.

I remember both Jeff and Evan from last year were really good. And good to hear Sasha is in such good form.

Thanks
    Last edited by alilou; 09-27-2010 at 06:35 AM.

vCash
    mtnskater, thank you for the review!!

I know they show musical guests a lot and that frustrates figure skating fans (including me), but still it's better than nothing.
    I wonder if we can vote from outside the United States?
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    I'm with your friend. Watching Ryan Bradley always make me gaga.
    I'm sure you are not alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnskater View Post
    At the end they paired up a guy and a gal and each pair did a short number on the ice. Bradley did a small pair lift with Flatt onto his shoulder. the crowd love it. My one friend said she enjoyed Sasha and Jeffrey the most and she has never been to a live skating show in her life. My vote goes to Sasha.
    Thanks so much for your review!!! By the way, who was Evan´s pair and what did they do?

vCash
    Thanks for the review! Nice to hear everyone skated pretty well. This is the first Sasha news I have heard in a long time. Sounds like she is getting in pretty good shape for SOI.

vCash
    Thanks for the review. Looking forward to seeing the skaters' performances on TV.

vCash
    According to Joannie's facebook page:

Had fun at Improv Ice, I skated to Smile by Uncle Kracker and Hot Blooded performed live by The Foreigners!

vCash
    Facebook notes from some of the cast (at least what I could find):

Jeremy Abbott posted yesterday a photo or two and quick video from the practice on his fan facebook page, Jeremy Abbott PCF

From Joannie Rochette's FB: Had fun at Improv Ice, I skated to Smile by Uncle Kracker and Hot Blooded performed live by The Foreigners! J'ai improvisé sur Smile de Uncle Kracker et Hot Blooded-The Foreigners!

From Ryan Bradley FB: Improv ice was a blast last night. Check it out on NBC november 21st! Thanks to everyone who came out and showed their support!

From Rachael Flatt FB: Two photos and
    "I got to improv to Mary J Blige..."The One" great song and fun to play with the choreography using lots of moves from my modern dance classes! AND, I skated to FOREIGNER, live (a first for me!)..."Waiting for a Girl Like You!" FOREIGNER was terrific! What a great night! Thanks to everyone who came out for the show"

Couldn't find anything else from the cast at this point. Maybe later this week...

vCash
    Thanks for the review! There's a slide show here http://www.universalsports.com/photo...id=493997.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skamper23 View Post
    Thanks for the review! There's a slide show here http://www.universalsports.com/photo...id=493997.html
    Was there some sort of awful costumes mandate for this show?

vCash
    Sasha needs a stylist. Such a pretty girl. Such unflattering clothes.

vCash
    Sasha looks fabulous, so does Ryan...and others do too, what is the problem.

vCash
    she is tiny but wears frumpy clothes. she could look really chic. with all her talk about fashion, you think she would wear something fashionable, not those jeans...

vCash
    Most of the clothes look really awful, but I don´t think they were selected by the skaters. Racheal Flatt looks plump (unfortunately she has that kind of body type).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Most of the clothes look really awful, but I don´t think they were selected by the skaters. Racheal Flatt looks plump (unfortunately she has that kind of body type).
    There are photos (Finale) where it looks like Disson supplied the outfits. Recognized the dress that Joannie wore in one of the numbers from past exhibitions she has skated in (black with yellow and orange at the bottom) but can't say the remainder of the outfits looked like they belonged to the skaters. Flatt looks fine in the group practice photos...she just has those big cherub cheeks, LOL! The skirts that Alissa and Sasha wore (gathered skirts) wouldn't do anyone justice. Skaters are used to wearing form fitting clothing and I would suspect that the wardrobe that is provided at a show like this needs to be able to be adjusted for many skaters.

vCash
    Thanks for the review! I'm especially glad Sasha, Jeff, and Ryan did so well!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Thanks for the review. I am anxious to see it on tv. Last year Jeff won it. He usually has interesting choreography. I am surprised to hear that he did so many Lutzes. Those have always been his worst jumps. Sorry to hear that Evan crashed on his Lutz. That has always been his best jump! Evan has been skating really well in his appearances of late. I am going to the Skating and Gymnastics Spectacular this weekend in Texas. I have never seen gymnastics live before. I wonder how much the apparatus in the middle of the ice will block the view of the skaters. I saw the show on tv two years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Thanks so much for your review!!! By the way, who was Evan´s pair and what did they do?
    As I mentioned I didn't keep notes but I'm thinking Sasha and Evan skated together and both did their leg grab spins. But don't hold me to that!

I think Joannie & Jeff did double axels together.

Have to wait until the broadcast to see if my recollections are right.

vCash
    I think Evan skated with Joannie
    http://www.universalsports.com/photo...id=493997.html
    Photo #47

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast